View Poll Results: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should be accredited.

    8 61.54%
  • No, it should not be accredited.

    2 15.38%
  • No, it should not have a law school to begin with.

    3 23.08%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

  1. #51
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    They were granted that power but they are still not part of the government.
    If they have and execute a power of government then effectively they are a part of government whether this is recognized or not.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  2. #52
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Well the law society is not the one discriminating against anyone, it is the university.
    Of course they are. They are attempting to apply a different standard against the university than they do against anyone else. So long as the university is turning out students that can pass the Bar exam, there is no reason they shouldn't be accredited. The school's political views have no bearing on the quality of the students they turn out.

    This is more liberal idiocy, trying to force people to adopt their social justice standards through terrorism.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #53
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    They also cant come back and tell people God is real either.

    24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

    27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
    Nobody is interested in your idiotic book of multiple choice. Come back when you have some objective evidence.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by votemout View Post
    Cant wait to see the faces of the atheists when they realize there is a judgment day. Actually I will feel sorry for them because once your dead its over no more chances.
    You sure ASSume an awful lot on just where everyone will be. Seems a might prideful for someone looking to pass through some gates... won't the biggest joke be on all the self righteous being turned away as well...

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Of course they are. They are attempting to apply a different standard against the university than they do against anyone else. So long as the university is turning out students that can pass the Bar exam, there is no reason they shouldn't be accredited. The school's political views have no bearing on the quality of the students they turn out. This is more liberal idiocy, trying to force people to adopt their social justice standards through terrorism.
    Except the Institution isn't claiming a political tenet but a religious one. More along the Hobby Lobby 'line' wishing to ignore a law on religious grounds. Canada appears to have gone quite a bit further down the Same Sex road than just a 'liberal' agenda... it appears to be a national one up north.

    To use your yardstick NO oversight but can the graduates pass a certain test need be applied to any Educational Facility...

  6. #56
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Except the Institution isn't claiming a political tenet but a religious one. More along the Hobby Lobby 'line' wishing to ignore a law on religious grounds. Canada appears to have gone quite a bit further down the Same Sex road than just a 'liberal' agenda... it appears to be a national one up north.

    To use your yardstick NO oversight but can the graduates pass a certain test need be applied to any Educational Facility...
    But Hobby Lobby isn't being denied a business licence because of those views. Those views have *NOTHING WHATSOEVER* to do with Hobby Lobby's ability to do business. The same is true of Trinity Western. Their ability to produce law students who can pass the bar exam has *NOTHING WHATSOEVER* to do with their views on homosexuality. They might be reprehensible views but they should not stop the school from doing business.

    That's the whole thing with liberal politics. It's all revenge based. If someone does something they don't like, they seek to impose penalties on them, even when those penalties have nothing to do with the views, to force them to change their policies. It's like saying the government can take away your driver's licence because they don't like your political views. One has nothing to do with the other.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    But Hobby Lobby isn't being denied a business licence because of those views. Those views have *NOTHING WHATSOEVER* to do with Hobby Lobby's ability to do business. The same is true of Trinity Western. Their ability to produce law students who can pass the bar exam has *NOTHING WHATSOEVER* to do with their views on homosexuality. They might be reprehensible views but they should not stop the school from doing business. That's the whole thing with liberal politics. It's all revenge based. If someone does something they don't like, they seek to impose penalties on them, even when those penalties have nothing to do with the views, to force them to change their policies. It's like saying the government can take away your driver's licence because they don't like your political views. One has nothing to do with the other.
    You seem so bitter about this. Your rhetoric is couched in very emotional terms. Revenge????

    Hobby Lobby isn't denying employment to those who use birth control- they just don't want to pay for it... but both are citing a religious exception to the law, THAT is the point.

    The Law Society charged with oversight on law schools isn't 'picking on' Trinity Western... ALL law schools are not permitted to deny homosexuals admittance. It will be an interesting legal battle- fitting for a school wishing to defy sec 15 of the Charter.

    Your argument about the exclusion of gays having no bearing is flawed- there are many other factors in the accreditation- housing, safety, sanitation, instructor credentials that are subject to rejection...

    your argument would be Instructors need not be certified as long as students can pass the bar. Classrooms can be substandard as long as students pass the bar.

    It will be very interesting in a nation like Canada which has embraced same sex marriage, faces religious fundamentalism's abhorrence of homosexuality.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Hobby Lobby isn't denying employment to those who use birth control- they just don't want to pay for it... but both are citing a religious exception to the law, THAT is the point.
    Yes, that is the point and you can't get it through your head. Nobody is telling Hobby Lobby that they will lose their business license because some people don't like their religious views. Most rational people recognize that there is a difference between religious views and business practices. You unfortunately do not. These Law Societies no not. You are both wrong. You're welcome to dislike their religious views, I would even agree with you, but you can't just take revenge on a school or a company because you don't like their views and deny them things for which they are clearly qualified. Nowhere in the laws of Canada, I would hope, is there a requirement that a law school follow a specific set of beliefs having nothing whatsoever to do with their teaching standards. If there is, your country is idiotic. If you are incapable of separating your moral outrage from your legal practices, there's something seriously wrong going on.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    But is any reason, aside from the university's conservatism, to deny the accreditation?
    That's reason enough. Sending lawyers into the world with right wing, 'christian' values is the last thing the world needs. Or Canada.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #60
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Should Trinity Western Have It's Law School Accredited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    This is a Canadian issue but I'm sure that Americans can chime in. Trinity Western University is a private Christian university in B.C., which recently got a law school. A controversy has risen among law societies because Trinity Western has a discriminatory policy against homosexuals saying that same-sex intimacy is prohibited. For context B.C. is not a conservative province and was the second province to legalize same-sex marriage. The Upper Canada Law Society (Ontario) voted this week to refuse accreditation with those opposing the school saying: “I cannot vote to accredit a law school which seeks to control students in their bedrooms.” This is a major setback for the university as it has been refused accreditation by the largest and most influential law society. Nova Scotia voted to recognize it but only if they remove the discriminatory policy. Lawyers and activists in B.C. and Ontario have launched a court challenge and petitions to refuse the university to have a law school to begin with. Trinity Western would also be the only private university with a law school.

    I personally do not believe Trinity Western should have a law school to begin with. They are a private university but that changes with law students.
    My suggestion is to not accredit the law school, require them to make it clear to candidates for the law school that they won't be accredited in Canada, and let it work itself out from there. I don't think banning the law school will be required after that.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •