View Poll Results: which laws?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • abortion laws

    7 18.42%
  • animal cruelty laws

    1 2.63%
  • both

    7 18.42%
  • neither

    4 10.53%
  • all laws

    17 44.74%
  • no laws

    2 5.26%
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 224

Thread: legislating morality

  1. #161
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, it need not be a moral imperative but rather a selfish one.

    I can protect my tribe, not because it's the moral thing to do, but because I benefit from doing so.
    And if that is so, does the selfish tribesman believe it to be moral to benefit himself? Is it moral to be self interested? Bottom line is that each and every act is either moral or immoral. Therefore every law that regulates behavior has a moral basis, even if that morality is subject to societal norms.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  2. #162
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Is the problem you had with my post initially that I dared suggest the left is equally as interested in controlling people's behaviors and choices?
    I never argued they didn't. I just pointed out your examples apply, equally if not more to the right. To which you had no rebuttal but to attack me. Did you give any counter argument? No, you did not.

    You deny that or is your argument that it's just different and ok if the it's the left doing it?
    Would help if I actually argued what you claimed....rather than you just making fabrications. Also, if you paid attention (which you failed to do) is that I have argued that all laws are some form of morality and I have repeatedly argued for years that the sole difference between big Democrat government and big Republican government is women's rights. We both end up with power hungry overbearing governments. You are basically pretending those arguments I've made for years don't exist. Which is dishonest.

    Would you ever support an individual mandate if it hadn't been liberals instituting it?
    Yes, because it's the conservative thing to do assuming we do not repeal Reagan's hospital philosophy. Explain this to me, how is it is conservative to promote the theft of insurance monies to pay for those who are unwilling to get their own insurance? Tell me how it's the conservative thing to do to penalize responsible folks who are taking care of themselves and reward the freeloaders. I'd love an answer to this because none of the ACA's detractors here have ever been willing to address this argument. They all cowardly just run away.

    In my experience, conservatives want big government when it comes to crime, national security and abortion, and there is legit criticism over the sheer number crimes that keep getting added to the books every year. Liberals want to control what's available out of this notion we need to be protected from ourselves - unless it's marijuana - that should be available in every school lunch. lol
    So you think all of the social conservatism rules regulation private behavior aren't Conservative? That's pretty.....screwed up.

    Oh and this is pretty frikkin' idiotic and lame but I'm actually glad to see you finally embracing being the leftist apologist you are (instead of acting as if you're just all above it). Tell me what laws I support making women property or admit you're just regurgitating bull****.
    Easy, by making healthcare choices for them. ER dysfunction drugs for years were covered under medicare/medicaid. But contraceptives, which often aren't even used for that, see cramping alleviation were not. See the huge fight over getting federal coverage for them now. Tell me how that's expanding women's rights to the level that men had for years. Please, try.

    Note that your two posts are nothing but personal attacks. You attempted no rebuttals, provided no facts, did nothing but personally attack me.

    What does that say about you?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #163
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    And if that is so, does the selfish tribesman believe it to be moral to benefit himself?
    It doesn't matter. Some people care not at all for morals.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #164
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa
    So the govt would still have the legal authority to tell a woman she cant have chemotherapy if it would kill the fetus then, for ex. You know, say if the doctor told the authorities that the mother only had a 40% chance of survival, well then the govt could decide to stop the treatment. Hey, let me ask you...what would you decide for that woman? Kill her or the fetus? Because that is exactly the decision you are claiming you should be able to make for her. I mean, *when exactly* is the mother the "obvious" person to make that decision?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Even in that situation, that would be saving the life of the mother, so I would let her make the decision.

    You would *let* her make the decision? How generous of you. How about if she had a 30% chance of survival? 20%? 10%? What gives you or the govt the right to make that choice balancing her life against the fetus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #165
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You would *let* her make the decision? How generous of you. How about if she had a 30% chance of survival? 20%? 10%? What gives you or the govt the right to make that choice balancing her life against the fetus?
    As long as her life is threatened, the decision should be hers, even if she has a 99% chance of survival.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  6. #166
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It doesn't matter. Some people care not at all for morals.
    Exactly. Therefore laws.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  7. #167
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,552

    Re: legislating morality

    We don't need no stinkin laws. Just everybody, everywhere pray for bad people to die.

  8. #168
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Exactly. Therefore laws.
    which are not based on morality
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #169
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    which are not based on morality
    What are they based on, then?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #170
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: legislating morality

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNAH!!!
    The very definition of laws is forcing the common morality of the society in which you live upon the members of that society. That's what a law is. The idea that some people have in thier heads that they're having someone else's morality forced on them and that that's a bad thing is gross immaturity.
    No. The idea that laws are based upon religious principles is flawed. Although those religious zealots that fund the right wing movement would like you and the rest of the right wing apostles to keep singing that tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •