View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 97 of 230 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 970 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #961
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    No one can be that dense.
    I don't know why anybody would do such a thing, but it wasn't my idea either.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Remedial logic. As they do not create rights, their explicit recognition is not an exhaustive list.
    No **** sherlock holmes.

  2. #962
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    This doesn't make sense.
    Was it the way I wrote it or the concept?

  3. #963
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    We really don't need to set up a situation where certain groups of people only engage with trade with each other. That creates a rather segregated society in itself. There is really no reason people can't put their prejudices aside when it comes to any kind of business transaction whether it's making a bank deposit, filling a gas tank or buying food. The other way was done before and it made for an oppressive society. The current civil right's laws have been far less oppressive than the alternative.
    We really don't need to set up a situation where certain people are forced to trade against their will. That creates a rather oppressed society in itself. There really is no reason why people can't be free to trade their property as they please. The other way was done before and it was devastating for minorities. The current civil rights laws do not offer equal protection under the law, which is more oppressive than if there were not in existence.

  4. #964
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    So there has never been a free society. I might agree with that to a certain extent, but to say that all societies have been extremely oppressive and repressive is a bit over the top.
    The times societies have been most oppressive has been when people have been perceived by a society as less than and they've been refused to participate in basic everyday activities including business transactions like their counterparts which were perceived more Nobel or just plain superior.

  5. #965
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    We really don't need to set up a situation where certain people are forced to trade against their will. That creates a rather oppressed society in itself. There really is no reason why people can't be free to trade their property as they please. The other way was done before and it was devastating for minorities. The current civil rights laws do not offer equal protection under the law, which is more oppressive than if there were not in existence.
    How was it devastating to minorities? Please explain?

  6. #966
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    No **** sherlock holmes.
    Then demanding the right be recognized by the USSC, as if it doesn't exist otherwise, is BS.

  7. #967
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Everyone is overthinking this.

    People do business all the time (I sold stuff on ebay the other day, for example), but if they acquire a business license (which gives certain rights, like limited liability) then they have to conform to some laws such as no discrimination against certain classes.

    That's it, its no big deal and nobody is losing anything since they don't have to volunteer to get a business license anyway. That's life, there is a trade off and people act like its some sort of horrible thing that they have to make a trade off.

  8. #968
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,964

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Couldnt answer the poll.

    I believe that individuals have the right to discriminate and to be discriminated against by other individuals. (I think it's generally wrong, but should not be illegal).

    I believe that govt-supported discrimination is wrong and should continue to be illegal.

    I believe that people who sign a contract/license with a state or other govt. affiliated organization for a business must conform to the standards of that contract/license....including non-discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #969
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I love the whole "white people in the deep south are racist" meme there. Got any proof that all of them are? Or that only "white people" in the deep south are prejudiced?

    Also, very progressive of you to point out the reason for the racist reaction of Business B, but you don't even consider the possibility that business A might also have a reason.
    I guess the fact doesn't matter that I was raised there, that I was one of them, and that I know them better than most who didn't grow up there.

    I guess EXPERIENCE doesn't count as 'proof'.

    And btw, I never said that ONLY the whites in the South are prejudiced - try to find someplace that I've said that! You can't. But you CAN find many times that I've said that there's prejudice to be found in every culture, every nation on the planet...and that in almost every case in history all the way to the modern day, the racism by the more powerful race/ethnicity/religion will be worse, more egregious than that of the weaker race/ethnicity/religion.

    Concerning the businesses, when in your eyes someone does something bad to you, what do you want to do? It's only human to want to do something bad in return. That's the same dynamic of vengeance that plays out on scales grand and small. And that's what business B would be doing (at which point "right" and "wrong" are of no consequence), and then there would be more A's as a result, then more B's...

    And like I said - at that point, "right" and "wrong" no longer matters. All that would matter is sticking with one's race. Is that really the kind of America that you want to see?
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #970
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    By that logic, short of calling for violence we have government enforced hate speech, since cops could be called in to enforce someone's right to free speech.

    Government enforced freedom, even if it results in racism by an individual, is never a blight upon our country. Government mandated racism, however, is. There is a major difference.
    SPEECH is not the same thing as "You can't eat in this restaurant because you're black".
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •