View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 94 of 230 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #931
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Yes, it is control...of private property, which is what the whole concept of private property is about. If you own it, you control it. If you don't own it, then you have to trade something of equal value (to the person who does own it) in exchange. That precisely why you won't give me your car keys. They are yours and you control them. If I want to control them, I have to get your permission...
    It's control over whether another person gets to purchase a resource or not.

  2. #932
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    It's control over whether another person gets to purchase a resource or not.
    You're assuming that that paticular business has a resource that is unique to them and no other business does not provide the same resource.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #933
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    You do have a right to engage in trade. You do not have a right to engage in trade with me if I don't want to trade with you.
    –Prejudice is an ATTITUDE and Discrimination is an ACTION.

    The important distinction here is you are free to be prejudice but once you discriminate your action is directly harming another person or group of people. If you own several gas stations in town, or if a person lives in a place where many people dislike you because of your skin color your actions of not granting permission for a group of people to engage in trade of goods and services is extremely powerful. What you are creating is a society of the powerful vs insubordinate and that is what we had in certain places in the US. Places like Nazi Germany also practiced this form of discrimination. There is NOTHING free about that kind of society. If you think that is not the definition of oppression, I don't know what is!

  4. #934
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You're assuming that that paticular business has a resource that is unique to them and no other business does not provide the same resource.
    No, I'm not assuming that at all. Making a group of people have to search in hopes to find someone willing to sell to them due to something they have zero power to change is not freedom.

  5. #935
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    –Prejudice is an ATTITUDE and Discrimination is an ACTION.

    The important distinction here is you are free to be prejudice but once you discriminate your action is directly harming another person or group of people. If you own several gas stations in town, or if a person lives in a place where many people dislike you because of your skin color your actions of not granting permission for a group of people to engage in trade of goods and services is extremely powerful. What you are creating is a society of the powerful vs insubordinate and that is what we had in certain places in the US. Places like Nazi Germany also practiced this form of discrimination. There is NOTHING free about that kind of society. If you think that is not the definition of oppression, I don't know what is!
    Interesting stance.

    So if I were to ask a girl out, and she discriminates against me and says no because she doesn't like the color of my skin, would you say that she is oppressing me?

    If I am about to enter a business, but I see the proprietor and leave because I don't like the color of his skin, would you say that I am oppressing him?

  6. #936
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Interesting stance.

    So if I were to ask a girl out, and she discriminates against me and says no because she doesn't like the color of my skin, would you say that she is oppressing me?

    If I am about to enter a business, but I see the proprietor and leave because I don't like the color of his skin, would you say that I am oppressing him?
    Neither of those examples are preventing a person from engaging in trade which any person willingly to follow rules they can control (like behavior) should do with a business, otherwise all that is being produced is oppression.

  7. #937
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, I'm not assuming that at all. Making a group of people have to search in hopes to find someone willing to sell to them due to something they have zero power to change is not freedom.
    Nor is it restricting freedom. Its life. You have to search to buy products all the time. Another of your assumptions here is that everyone except a few will be racist and not sell a product.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #938
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Nor is it restricting freedom. Its life. You have to search to buy products all the time. Another of your assumptions here is that everyone except a few will be racist and not sell a product.
    There is a big difference of having to search for a product because you can't find it and having to because you are not being allowed to purchase it in a place due to an attribute that you have no control over changing.

  9. #939
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    There are plenty of lessons to be learned from history if we are willing to listen. No society that shuns people due to attributes they have no control of changing has been a free society. It has been the exact opposite. It has been an extremely oppressive and repressive one. On the other hand, civil rights laws exist now and I'm not seeing merchants oppressed because they have to put their prejudices aside in order to conduct business.

  10. #940
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    There is a big difference of having to search for a product because you can't find it and having to because you are not being allowed to purchase it in a place due to an attribute that you have no control over changing.
    Not in today's day and age. Internet FTW! You are once again assuming that a person cannot get X product. The ONLY places that I think should not be allowed to discriminate is government owned businesses/services and anything that is dependent on an individual living. If I were to refuse to sell an Ipod to someone because of their skin color that person can easily go out to someplace else and get it. No one has a right to force me into serving them. We abolished that with the 13th and 14th Amendment.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •