View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 92 of 230 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #911
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Sure there is.

    It's fraud because "black free shopping" provides no real benefit. You're promoting snake oil salesmen.

    It's aggression because you are limiting others' freedom of movement, business association and opportunity within the public sphere. You are attempting to create a second class citizenry. That is an act of economic war against a group and clearly aggression.
    The more I read, the more sense I make of you. Your problem is that you are speaking a different language. All of the bolded words above actually mean something other than what you think they mean. You should add racist/racism to that list and spend a little time studying what the words mean before trying to use them in sentences.

  2. #912
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    You can do what you like on your private property...but if your property is open to the public, THEN my question applies. When you deal with the public, which right is more important - to be able to discriminate, or the freedom therefrom?

    You can't have both.
    A person that owns a buisness owns the property also. As such it is still private property. Just because he/she opens it up to the public does not change that. Public property are things like parks, city hall, etc etc. Things that are government owned and that the government allows the general populace in.

    I personally believe that the right to association does not stop just because you own a buisness. As such if an owner wishes to discriminate against someone because of their skin color then that is their right to do so. However it is also the right of people to decline to go to that buisness. Its an open street that goes both ways. If you cannot force people to go to a certain buisness then you cannot force buisness's to accept customers that they do not want. Personally I think that AA laws should be gotten rid of. It will show us who are the real racists and as such they can be shunned.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #913
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    You may want to think about that bolded part for a minute or two...
    I see your point. I should have said that the government cannot change anyone's behavior. They CAN try, but all they can do is punish a behavior, not change it.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  4. #914
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,863

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well!...thank you very much...its good to see you have no "DEFENSE"......for you case.

    I knew, but others needed to see how weak you are in arguments over issues.
    You calling me names is hardly any defense for you advocating bigotry. You have been given very strong defenses for not allowing such discrimination over and over and over and over in this thread by many people including myself.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #915
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,863

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    None of this discussion is about public accommodations. It's about private accommodations, which you think some should have to make and others should not.
    Any business or service open to the public is a public accommodation.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #916
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    There is no absolute way to go on this question. It depends on the circumstance and situation.

  7. #917
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Oh the irony of the red bolded, only adds to the irony of the blue bolded.

    Ernst, regarding the red bolded, EXACTLY correct. A purchaser's liberty should not be crushed because the seller is offended.

    And ernst, regarding the blue, based on what is your statement of something equivalent to it being a fact,... since everything about a person is not property, but yes a woman's body is her property as is anyone's physical body, which can be but is not usually considered akin to a product or service as being discussed here. And when a person is using their body as a product or service independent of outside pressures (ie pimps or brothels), they can refuse service to whomever they choose.
    You mean like when a business owner uses his body and mind to build a product, he has the right to refuse service to whomever they choose? That's pretty much the opposite of everything you've argued thus far on this thread.

  8. #918
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I don't need to reconcile it. What I stated stands on its own.
    You said that no individual has the right to force another person to do business against his will, yet you want someone to force another person to do business against his will. To me, there's something there that needs to be reconciled.

  9. #919
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Never heard of Sam's Club? You can do that, and not provide memberships to blacks. Then you will not have to live in constant fear of a black people.
    So in your opinion it would be perfectly legal for Sam's Club to refuse service to any particular race or religion?

  10. #920
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Rights are not created by the Constitution or the USSC.
    Remedial study of the English language. "Recognized" and "created" are not interchangeable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •