View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 8 of 230 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Well, it's a great thing you're wrong, now ain't it?
    How am I wrong?

  2. #72
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Indeed, I do. That is the problem - one must often suffer arrest, post bond and then appear in court to be heard. That is quite a high price to be paid by those presumed to be innocent.
    So let's get rid of all laws.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,796

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    There is no right to discriminate, therefore that's out immediately. You're welcome to hate people based on their skin color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. all you want, you're just not free to act on it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    and so you would go down the metaphorical trail of hypothetical twists and turns of what you feel to be logic. However, in the REAL world, you either allow discrimination against others...or you don't.
    Does that mean you can't name me a right that isn't dependent on the right to discrimination?

  5. #75
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    So let's get rid of all laws.
    We need not go quite that far, just treat discrimination as a civil matter. As far as false criminal accusations go, the state should be required to pay restitution.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #76
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    We need not go quite that far, just treat discrimination as a civil matter. As far as false criminal accusations go, the state should be required to pay restitution.
    The standards for arrest, like all crimes, will prevent most fraudulent claims from getting anywhere. You're creating a phantom menace to object to rational legislation.

  7. #77
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You continue to ignore the difference between legal and illegal discrimination. No court would ever begrudge a business the right to not serve someone who raped an employee or an employee's family member.

    It's a stupid example, because there is no chance of prosecution.
    Not so, if the law says you must service everyone who wants to engage in commerce with you, whether you want to or not.

    Let's say the person she refused to have in her hair salon was a woman who she believed her husband may have had an affair with. The law says she must cut that woman's hair. Oh, and that woman happens to be a minority. What protection would my friend be granted under such a law? No crime was committed by the woman. But why would my friend be obligated to serve her...just because?

  8. #78
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So if all of that came true, which one of your rights would have been violated?
    Equal protection under the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #79
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How am I wrong?
    A veritable wealth of coroborating evidence can be found here:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/search...archid=3459021
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #80
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Not so, if the law says you must service everyone who wants to engage in commerce with you, whether you want to or not.
    No law says that and no law will say that. You're engaging in a ludicrous strawman.

Page 8 of 230 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •