View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 54 of 230 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #531
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Christonacracker, that list encompasses just about everyone in the country. You fall into one of those categories somewhere. I am of Irish and German descent. I would assume (if the laws are FAIR) that both of them qualify for "National Origin".

    If "Religion" is a protected class, why the angst against the people whose religious beliefs tell them that sodomy is a sin (NO, I am not in that number, just thinking aloud).

    Redheads should not be a protected class. Blondes, on the other hand, should. I am blonde.
    : ..

  2. #532
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,799

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    as it has been stated by me to you before, everything about a person is property.

    OR...are you forgetting the women state they have a right to their bodies, when it comes to abortion.

    you have a funny sense of liberty, believing it should be crushed when it offends you.....I don't think you ever consider how your words, and thoughts of government offend other people....maybe we should crush your right to speech, because people "just don't like what you say"
    And you have a funny sense of liberty. Of course, I realize its just a smokescreen and by itself means anything you want it to mean.

    What does a person controlling their reproductive processes have to do with being a bigot and denying other people public accommodations?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #533
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And you have a funny sense of liberty. Of course, I realize its just a smokescreen and by itself means anything you want it to mean.

    What does a person controlling their reproductive processes have to do with being a bigot and denying other people public accommodations?
    easy, because a woman claims........".right to property, her body, to have an abortion"..............which abortion is offensive to other people

    if the left is going to be for a woman having the ability to do with her body [property] because its hers and preform an action which is offensive to some people.

    then my business is my property, and I have a right to it, whether you find it offensive or not.

  4. #534
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That bolded part really jumped out at me. I never thought of it that way but you are so right. We do now have a system of negatives and it's pretty concerning when you frame it as such.
    All law is a balancing of rights against each other. People only frame it as a 'negative right' when they're against the protections that should be afforded.

    I suppose murder being illegal is a 'negative right' as well, if one is fond of murder.

  5. #535
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, they can't, because they are not society. They are individuals, and in your system it must be a society that is racist.
    hahaha

  6. #536
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,105

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    All law is a balancing of rights against each other. People only frame it as a 'negative right' when they're against the protections that should be afforded.

    I suppose murder being illegal is a 'negative right' as well, if one is fond of murder.
    Actually that falls under your right not to have your property seized or taken or abused without your consent - your ownership of yourself is your basic claim to freedom from abuse; which is why slaves did not have it.

  7. #537
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    And if you aren't a member of a protected class?
    what are these protected classes i here so much about please list them. Then give me an example of a person who isnt in one because I cant think of any.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #538
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    All law is a balancing of rights against each other. People only frame it as a 'negative right' when they're against the protections that should be afforded.

    I suppose murder being illegal is a 'negative right' as well, if one is fond of murder.
    Jesus..no.

    A positive right requires others to provide you with either a good or service, while a negative right only requires others to abstain from interfering with your actions. Natural rights are all negative, btw.

    The reason positive rights declarations are in conflict with peoples rights is that they require action to exist. In effect, they place people into servitude for the benefit of others.

  9. #539
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Actually that falls under your right not to have your property seized or taken or abused without your consent - your ownership of yourself is your basic claim to freedom from abuse; which is why slaves did not have it.
    The slaves didn't have it because people considered slaves' freedom to be a negative right. Unlike their own, which is a positive right.

  10. #540
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Also on a side not racism is racism PERIOD.

    any person can practice racism and be racist.

    If one would like to discuss the size of the impact being greater or smaller thats fine but that doesnt change the fact that racism is racism.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •