View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 44 of 230 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Not every white needs to be a racist for it to permeate society. It does so because of the racists that exist (within the majority power, of course) and due to past policies that resonate even today.

    Your strawman is stupid.
    If racism held down the black population before civil rights laws then exactly how was the unemployment rate during the Coolidge administration as low as 1.8 percent? That includes whites and blacks, so please, explain to me exactly how that is possible if blacks were discriminated out of the market to such a great degree?

    You might not have figured it out yet, but your claim is entirely without merit.

  2. #432
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,427

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    It isn't a strawman. I'm asking you serious questions and not trying to have a fight with you.

    I would like to see if you could please explain to me in as much detail as this medium will allow, and with factual data and not anecdotal evidence, that discrimination exists on a societal level.

    Remember, were talking about discrimination, not racism.
    When unjust discrimination against a race is perpetuated by the majority power, it is racism.

    You're denying racism exists in the US. You're denying racism permeates society. Obviously, I cannot help you.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 04-23-14 at 02:23 AM.

  3. #433
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    When unjust discrimination against a race is perpetuated by the majority power, it is racism.

    You're denying racism exists in the US. You're denying racism permeates society. Obviously, I cannot help you.
    Discrimination and racism are two different things. And, you know that.

    Of course racism exists. There are racists of every color and hew.

    What this thread is discussing, what I have been discussing and what you were discussing up until now, is discrimination.

    I would like to see if you could please explain to me in as much detail as this medium will allow, and with factual data and not anecdotal evidence, that discrimination exists on a societal level.

    Remember, were talking about discrimination, not racism.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  4. #434
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Which is more important: the "right" to discriminate, or freedom from discrimination?

    Remember, you can't have both. If a business refuses to serve someone because he's black, and he refuses to leave and the business calls the cops to enforce their "right"...it is at that moment that we have government-enforced racism.

    Is that really what we want?
    i answered "freedom from discrimination" which is the right to not to be illegally discriminated against because based on your op I understood what you were actually asking.

    But technically we dont have either of the rights you mentioned in blanket form, its much more defined than that.


    Illegal discrimination is definitely crap and like the majority of most americans im glad we fight against it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #435
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,427

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    There are racists of every color and hew.
    No, there are not. Racism, in its full meaning to include scope, power dynamics and historical impacts, can only exist among the majority power. Bigotry by minorities is meaningless at a societal level and thereby does not qualify as racism, as there is no opportunity for systematic oppression.

  6. #436
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    I'll just put this here for reading purposes for our members. It's a pretty good primer for Freedom Not To Associate from a law school.

    The Freedom Not to Associate

    For fun, answer the questions on the right of the page.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  7. #437
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    No, there are not. Racism, in its full meaning to include scope, power dynamics and historical impacts, can only exist among the majority power. Bigotry by minorities is meaningless at a societal level and thereby does not qualify as racism, as there is no opportunity for systematic oppression.
    I would like to see if you could please explain to me in as much detail as this medium will allow, and with factual data and not anecdotal evidence, that discrimination exists on a societal level.

    Remember, were talking about discrimination, not racism.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  8. #438
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,399

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Which is more important: the "right" to discriminate, or freedom from discrimination?

    Remember, you can't have both. If a business refuses to serve someone because he's black, and he refuses to leave and the business calls the cops to enforce their "right"...it is at that moment that we have government-enforced racism.

    Is that really what we want?
    Do we really want a society that prevents freely voiced opinion? And isn't it discriminatory to give someone a place in a university in preference to another, who is much better at such work simply because the person comes from a minority?
    Should a gay woman be treated first in an emergency room simply because she is gay?
    I guess it's a matter of one's point of view.

  9. #439
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,427

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I would like to see if you could please explain to me in as much detail as this medium will allow, and with factual data and not anecdotal evidence, that discrimination exists on a societal level.

    Remember, were talking about discrimination, not racism.
    I'm talking about racism (real racism, by the majority, not white people crying like little babies about crap with no impact at the societal level). I don't know what you're talking about. From what I can tell, you're denying that real racism exists.

  10. #440
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm talking about racism (real racism, by the majority, not white people crying like little babies about crap with no impact at the societal level). I don't know what you're talking about. From what I can tell, you're denying that real racism exists.
    I'm not, and haven't been.

    Getting back to our original discussion:

    I would like to see if you could please explain to me in as much detail as this medium will allow, and with factual data and not anecdotal evidence, that discrimination exists on a societal level.

    Remember, were talking about discrimination, not racism.
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •