View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 4 of 230 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #31
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How does one prove that in a court of law?
    One needn't prove innocence, as proving a negative is impossible. Someone would need, rather, to prove one had acted illegally.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, hopefully, others understood my post. I think it applies just fine. You want to argue whether or not it's a rights violation to have to license your business? And whether or not laws can be enforced inside a licensed business that's so-licensed in violation (you think) of your rights? Start a thread.
    I don't need to start a new thread if my point pertains to your argument.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    But what if the slaughterhouse owner was black, Maggie. If I as a white woman said "no thanks", what's to stop someone from assuming I'm a raicst? That is the slippery slope too.
    The burden of proof's on the accuser, not the accused. The more salient point is, should you legally be allowed to tell someone you won't do business with them (in your open-to-the-public business) because they're black? Because if it's legal, then it becomes enforceable by law...at which point we have government-enforced racism.

    We've already been down that slippery slope...and that's where most of mankind stayed for most of recorded history. It's only within the past couple hundred years or so that the developed world began moving away from slavery.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #34
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It's not a slippery slope.
    But it is to me.

    I could say I'm declining the job because I don't believe in slaughterhouses. But it could be because I don't want to work with a black person. How would you know either way?

  5. #35
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    See my post to Maggie below. What would stop the owner from saying I refused to clean his slaughterhouse because he's black and not because I don't want to do it.
    The fact that he'd have to prove you discriminated based on race and when your defense introduced the fact that he owns a slaughterhouse, and your business does not do slaughterhouses for anyone, he'd have to pay your attorney.


    I can't support the concept of having to enter into commerce with everyone because some people are racist. That to me is turning commerce upside down to protect a few and because of the actions of a few.
    No, you're turning the court system upside down to object to rational policy.

  6. #36
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    I wouldn't have been educated, I wouldn't have been able to have competitive employment opportunities, and should the first two have occurred I may have even been denied housing.

    When I know that was a reality not long ago (and still is an issue now), libertarians can stuff it with their "rights."
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    If those "core principles" allow the "freedom to discriminate", then the label of "tolerates racists" is well-earned.
    Name me a right that isn't dependent on discrimination. Have fun with that.

  8. #38
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    But it is to me.
    That's only because you seem to think that one need prove innocence in court. As if business owners were being required to prove a negative or lose.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I wouldn't have been educated, I wouldn't have been able to have competitive employment opportunities, and should the first two have occurred I may have even been denied housing.

    When I know that was a reality not long ago (and still is an issue now), libertarians can stuff it with their "rights."
    So if all of that came true, which one of your rights would have been violated?

  10. #40
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Well said. And the fact that many libertarians think as your fellow libertarians do is one reason why libertarianism sometimes gets the "tolerates racism" label.
    what is really pathetic is many lefties claiming you must be a "racist" if you support the right of a business to discriminate for whatever reason it wants

    libertarians get tarred that way because many lefties have no concept or value of individual rights that are contrary to their own concept of "rights" which normally are a claim against someone else's liberty or property



Page 4 of 230 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •