View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 31 of 230 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #301
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Getting back to your other question, what does that have yo do with the price of tea in a China?
    What he created with his labor is his property. If you understood property you know why labor is important here.

  2. #302
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The products are on sale for those the seller agrees to sell to.
    No, there are laws against that.

  3. #303
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Which is more important: the "right" to discriminate, or freedom from discrimination?

    Remember, you can't have both. If a business refuses to serve someone because he's black, and he refuses to leave and the business calls the cops to enforce their "right"...it is at that moment that we have government-enforced racism.

    Is that really what we want?
    Actually, you can't have freedom from discrimination in any real sense of the words. If a business refuses to serve someone who is a complete dick, well that's discrimination. I discriminated against all the women out there who aren't married to me, for all sorts of reasons. For that matter, I discriminated against all the guys out there too. If a guy came into my house and demanded that I perform a service for him, and then refused to leave when I said no and I called the cops to enforce my right...it is at that moment that we have government-enforced discrimination.

    Frankly, I can see a very good argument in favor of anti-discrimination laws, but generally if a law forcing a racist to associate with someone he didn't want to associate with is "necessary", wouldn't it be just as likely to increase racial tensions?

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, there are laws against that.
    Yes, there are laws against voluntary exchange, which is entirely shameful and embarrassing.

  5. #305
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What he created with his labor is his property. If you understood property you know why labor is important here.
    People lose their property all the time because companies come in and force people off their land for their natural resources. That is wrong.

  6. #306
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, there are laws against voluntary exchange, which is entirely shameful and embarrassing.
    No, it's shameful and embarrassing that without those laws people will and can be discriminated.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    People lose their property all the time because companies come in and force people off their land for their natural resources. That is wrong.
    Agreed, but what does that have to do with anything?

  8. #308
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    I'm going to ignore your post if you are going to act like an arse. I understood your post just fine. It was a rather silly one because in order for a government to decide who gets the land, it is all due to man made laws.

    Getting back to your other question, what does that have yo do with the price of tea in a China?

    tea?.......you stated government created a right to property........i asked if Edison created the light blub, ....did the light blub belong to government?................. until they turned the right over to Edison, even though he created it?

  9. #309
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    those are, but i have a natural right to property, if government gave me the right [as you claim], then government could take away the right......government would in essence own all property in the u.s. making it a communist state in your mind.
    Did the Native Americans have a natural right to property?

  10. #310
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    But that is the problem; the businessman says the reason was the slaughterhouse (work location/scope), the denied customer says the reason was personal (their religion). Who, if either, should the state believe (and why)?
    The customer has to prove the reason was illegal discrimination. How would he do that, one might ask. He could show a pattern. He might have the testimony of an employee for the company that would testify to something the owner said. Or something the owner outright said to the customer. There are ways, but it's no slam dunk.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •