View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 23 of 230 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #221
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Oh, please that is ridiculous. That law is in effect and to suggest guns of government is pressing down on people is over the top.
    It is not, it's Fiddy's beloved boot coming into play. All government force is ultimately backed by the gun. It is just a mere statement of fact.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #222
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't believe in magic. I believe in freedom, responsibility, and consequences
    No you appear to believe in individual freedom, voluntary responsibility, and self-inflicted consequences.

    IE: fairy tales
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #223
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,005

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Any law that doesn't protect everyone or encourages selective enforcement likely shouldn't be a law in the first place.
    Agreed.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    No you appear to believe in individual freedom, voluntary responsibility, and self-inflicted consequences.

    IE: fairy tales
    Individual freedom is key, the rights and liberties of the individual do reign supreme. We're all responsible in a free society to uphold the responsibilities and repercussions of freedom else you lose it. Consequences aren't necessarily self-inflicted either.

    Any other trite, dismissive statement that doesn't actually deal with anything I have said left? Or are you done?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #225
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Because you have assumed ownership of their property and labor and use the force of government to get your way.

    The natural limits to rights, are of course, something of an entirely different ballgame.
    You don't assume ownership of anything. You still have to pay for whatever good or service you buy. The government 'forces' people to act humanly for a reason. People don't have a right to treat another person like sh*t because they have a right to be sh*tty because they own a business.

  6. #226
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    You don't assume ownership of anything. You still have to pay for whatever good or service you buy. The government 'forces' people to act humanly for a reason. People don't have a right to treat another person like sh*t because they have a right to be sh*tty because they own a business.
    No, you assume ownership the moment you claim entitlement to the property.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #227
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It is not, it's Fiddy's beloved boot coming into play. All government force is ultimately backed by the gun. It is just a mere statement of fact.
    Well that is extreme 'all or nothing' thinking.

  8. #228
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I thought we were all equal? Now I'm being told it would be okay to refuse service to someone strictly because she is blonde (like myself, for instance). What law protects me? And please don't pretend people don't dislike people from all walks of life. I know people here in New England who detest white men from Alabama, call them stupid, rednecks and losers. Is that okay?
    If someone admits to denying service due to discrimination, it's illegal. If they do it for another admitted reason or no particular reason and discrimination cannot be proven, it's legal.

    An act of illegal discrimination is some act that is violating your rights based on your religion, race, color, creed, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation or family status. Anytime these reasons are used as a cause to deny a public facility or service it can be deemed illegal discrimination.

    The Human and Civil Rights laws cover most forms of discrimination.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    You don't assume ownership of anything. You still have to pay for whatever good or service you buy. The government 'forces' people to act humanly for a reason. People don't have a right to treat another person like sh*t because they have a right to be sh*tty because they own a business.
    Do you feel as if you have the right to initiate aggression against someone in order to force him to do business with someone against his will?

  10. #230
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Then we are in agreement that the failure to provide someone a service does not worsen someones condition, but simply does not act to better it.
    Yeah, if someone is having a heart attack and dies the doctor who refused to treat him just didn't better his condition

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •