View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 221 of 230 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #2201
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) but what is "the right to discriminate"
    we are all free to discriminate so i dont understand that part of the question. Is there some example where people are losing that

    The question in the OP makes no sense to me since I havent seen or am unaware of anybody losing any freedoms
    I think some recent events involving racist or borderline statements by various persons - more specifically, the response to same - have caused some persons to worry that we're in danger of loosing some freedoms. I'm not too clear on it either.


    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    2.) yeah the second part i totally get "freedom from discrimination" in SOME ways we do have that RIGHT and FREEDOM, you said acceptable and unacceptable which is legal or illegal and one version of that violates the law and rights and freedoms of others.

    so part two I totally get and can come up with perfect examples of how it could be legal or illegal and violate or not violate rights.

    I cant do that for the first part?
    Acceptable vs unacceptable does not necessarily correlate with legal vs illegal - it does, however, in most cases.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #2202
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    There is no unalienable right or human right, whatever that is, to somebody else's person or property. There should be no right to demand that somebody else provide for us, service us, or give us what they rightfully earned or acquired. A long and bloody war was fought to free the slaves. But some seem it is okay to force some to serve others even yet today. It isn't.
    Then don't sell things to the public if it makes you feel like a slave

  3. #2203
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Then don't sell things to the public if it makes you feel like a slave
    Oh right. If I choose not to serve some unmitigated jerk, let's solve that by denying service to everybody. Yep. That'll show em.

    How about we just adopt a live and let live policy and see how that works? I guarantee you for every bigot who doesn't want to serve somebody because of race or religion or other reasons like that, there will be ten others who will be happy to have that business. And if I just don't like your general attitude or the way you treat people or the fact that you drown puppies and kick old ladies, I will continue to tell you to take a hike. Is that okay with you?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #2204
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Oh right. If I choose not to serve some unmitigated jerk, let's solve that by denying service to everybody. Yep. That'll show em.

    How about we just adopt a live and let live policy and see how that works? I guarantee you for every bigot who doesn't want to serve somebody because of race or religion or other reasons like that, there will be ten others who will be happy to have that business. And if I just don't like your general attitude or the way you treat people or the fact that you drown puppies and kick old ladies, I will continue to tell you to take a hike. Is that okay with you?
    Good luck vetting each person who comes into your shop.

  5. #2205
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Good luck vetting each person who comes into your shop.
    Why do you say that? I have suggested nothing of the sort. But I will take it that you are unwilling to answer the question put to you.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #2206
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    1.)I think some recent events involving racist or borderline statements by various persons - more specifically, the response to same - have caused some persons to worry that we're in danger of loosing some freedoms. I'm not too clear on it either.


    2.) Acceptable vs unacceptable does not necessarily correlate with legal vs illegal - it does, however, in most cases.
    1.) I have heard some people voice this concern but since its NOTHING new i have no idea what logic that is based on. No freedoms are being lost or impacted in a new way.
    2.) I agree its a subjective thing but since we are talking rights the criteria has a basic setting. AGain though i would love for the OP to explain so theres a real premise to discuss.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #2207
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Why do you say that? I have suggested nothing of the sort. But I will take it that you are unwilling to answer the question put to you.
    Because it sounds like that shop owner prefers to vet people rather than sell merchandise.

  8. #2208
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Because it sounds like that shop owner prefers to vet people rather than sell merchandise.
    No it didn't. I used a crystal clear illustration. You just don't want to answer the question.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #2209
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    No it didn't. I used a crystal clear illustration. You just don't want to answer the question.
    If a person is not following the rules of a place of business fine, anything else is over the top and a bit on the nutty side.

  10. #2210
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    If a person is not following the rules of a place of business fine, anything else is over the top and a bit on the nutty side.
    So if I know you to be a person who drowns puppies, kicks old ladies, and steal candy from kids, I am nutty if I tell you I don't want you for a customer? Okay. At least we know where you stand.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •