View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 190 of 230 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #1891
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Wrong under all conditions.
    Then that is a point that I would have to disagree with you upon. I will say that I disagree with some of the uses that have been applied under eminent domain Such as the CT case. If a government entity does take land under eminent domain it should be allowed to turn it over or sell it to any other private entity for a minimum of 10 years. Additionally if that government entity does not make use of the land within 2 years, then the previous owner or their heirs have first option to buy it back at the exact same amount that the government entity paid as compensation, including a refund of any income tax collected as a result of the purchase by the government entity.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  2. #1892
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Then that is a point that I would have to disagree with you upon. I will say that I disagree with some of the uses that have been applied under eminent domain Such as the CT case. If a government entity does take land under eminent domain it should be allowed to turn it over or sell it to any other private entity for a minimum of 10 years. Additionally if that government entity does not make use of the land within 2 years, then the previous owner or their heirs have first option to buy it back at the exact same amount that the government entity paid as compensation, including a refund of any income tax collected as a result of the purchase by the government entity.
    We'll have to disagree on this point. I don't think that it is legitimate for one person to forcibly take the property of his neighbor.

  3. #1893
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    We'll have to disagree on this point. I don't think that it is legitimate for one person to forcibly take the property of his neighbor.
    No never one person, which is why I disagree with the SCOTUS ruling on CT. However, there are times when it would be legitimite for a government entity to force the issue so long as it is purely a government infrastructure need, such as a road. And even then only have every chance has been public made. Additionally, the compensated amount should never be below market value and also must be publicly shown.
    I don't disagree with the principle of eminent domain, but I am not in agreement with how it have been handled in many places lately.
    Last edited by maquiscat; 05-01-14 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Placement issues
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  4. #1894
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    No never one person, which is why I disagree with the SCOTUS ruling on CT, such as a road.
    Sorry. When I wrote "one person", I should have written "any person".

    I don't think it is legitimate for any of us to forcibly take the property of another.

  5. #1895
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,757

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Yes, I am well aware that, to the statist, the ends justify the means. If you want something that belongs to someone else, you advocate taking it by force. What an exceedingly civilized policy.
    Your problem is NOT with me ... it is with the US Constitution.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1896
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I would not begin to select a country for you. Only you could do that based on your own belief system. But it is more than obvious that you are NOT happy where you are despite your self proclaimed breakfast diet.
    Actually its a great stress reliever. Most of the idiotic liberals here are blissfully unaware and need to be reminded on a regular bases that they not only are ignorant, but also to blame for supporting the leftists in govt. The only reason we dont have a liberal supermajority anymore is because several state reps were busted by the feds. This is the sequelae of unopposed liberalism.

  7. #1897
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    There is no freedom from discrimination no matter how badly we want it. That freedom does not exist except in the mind. Each and every one of is discriminated against each and every day, mostly without malice and on occasion with. You cannot avoid discrimination, you will be discriminated against till the day you die. We ALL will. Even god discriminates. Are you a sinner? Have you worshiped lately? Nature is the ultimate discriminator. Darwin's law anyone? Only the fittest survive. How about when the orcas play volley ball with the baby seals. Or a mother binging to her kittens a live mouse to play with and eventually eat. What kind of prey do most predators prefer, the young, the infirm. They don't go after the healthy prey unless they have to. There is always going to be discrimination whether from nature or humankind. The reason is simple yet profound. We are each unique individuals, with a unique and individual view of the world, and also individual and unique needs. From that unique perspective one cannot help but be discriminatory. We ALL have preferences and will choose those preferences generally FIRST. You the freedom to discriminate is the freedom of choice. So when we say what is more important the "right to discriminate" or the "freedom from discrimination", what we are really saying is do we have the "right to choose" or the "freedom from choice". That is a very difficult freedom to take away, as you will always have a choice and therefor you will always be discriminatory. Discrimination IS choice, non discrimination is the lack thereof. I shall leave it to you to choose.
    Isn't it remarkable how equality has never existed anywhere-and yet these thinkers seek to base society on it anyway? Its amazing how utterly out of touch some people are. Its a very expensive lesson for them to not learn-how many more have to die because of this naive notion of "equality"?

  8. #1898
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    If you'd paid attention to the OTHER side of the story, you'd have found a lot of times when liberals and progressives like myself strongly criticized Obama for what he did or didn't do (like I did in this article). In fact, if you'd search around, you'd find a few times where we liberals and progressives were complimentary towards Dubya, particularly in his efforts to curb AIDS in Africa.

    Here's a short list:
    The Atlantic
    Washington Post
    Liberals praise Bush appointee
    Dennis Kucinich praises Bush
    Breitbart acknowledges a progressive praised Bush for immigration reform efforts

    On the flip side of the coin, can you find instances of where conservatives were complimentary towards Obama? I think you know the answer to that one, don't you? In fact, that's what a scientific study found - that conservatives are MUCH less likely to write something complimentary about Obama than liberals are to write something complimentary about Bush.

    But here's the problem - you won't believe me. Not for a moment will you believe me. Why? Because you've convinced yourself (despite all the evidence to the contrary) that we liberals and progressives are "hive-mind", and that if we on the Left were really objective people, we'd be calling for Obama's head. It is simply too much for you to believe that liberals might be every bit as objective as conservatives.
    I freely admit the map isn't the territory-but mother jones? For real?

  9. #1899
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Your problem is NOT with me ... it is with the US Constitution.
    No. My problem is with you and your ilk. You want to use government force to deny the American people the ability to control access to their own property.

  10. #1900
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,757

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    No. My problem is with you and your ilk. You want to use government force to deny the American people the ability to control access to their own property.
    Your problem is with the US Constitution and the powers it gives government that you simply pretend to not support but in practice do indeed support.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •