View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 179 of 230 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #1781
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,989

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Not just his labor, but his body and all his property. If "the people's government" decides it wants you or your property, you're **** out of luck. Whatever "the people's government" does is right, by definition. Scary, scary collectivist claptrap.
    Your problem is with the Constitution which allows the government to take property - not me.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #1782
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    As usual, you lefties dont even understand the terms you are using. Racism is in peoples heads. DISCRIMINATION is the act. The left is fine with discrimination, as an example we have affirmative action=public institutions discriminating base on skin color.

    Its tragic that the left has become so orwellian and hive-minded that they dont even understand the topics they wish to discuss-but MAN do they have an opinion.
    Orwellian? Which side is it that believes that we're only hurting people if we give them a helping hand?

    Hive-Minded? One party is completely conservative...and the other has mostly liberals but several conservatives. So...how's that "hive-minded" thing go again?
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #1783
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I just LOVE how you talk for people that you don't even know.
    You might be surprised.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  4. #1784
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Orwellian? Which side is it that believes that we're only hurting people if we give them a helping hand?

    Hive-Minded? One party is completely conservative...and the other has mostly liberals but several conservatives. So...how's that "hive-minded" thing go again?
    Orwell wrote about leftists. You are very hive minded, and things dont mean what they say, they mean what they ought to mean. Its a fascinating pathos, really.

  5. #1785
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Once again - you dream up rights that people do not have and then bitch and whine that they cannot do as you please.
    So do you own any property? Do you feel as if you ought to be the one who decides who is allowed on your property?

  6. #1786
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Your problem is with the Constitution which allows the government to take property - not me.
    Nope. My problem is with you because you support the government controlling people's bodies and telling them whom they must allow on their own property.

  7. #1787
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You make no sense. In your blind desire to attack me you ramble nonsense and gibberish.

    If you do not have a right to exercise then you simply do not have that right. Period. Only a deluded mind wallowing in mental illness creates a contrary reality to the real one and inhabits that fantasy world.
    In your feelings of persecution, you assume that I am attacking you. You are clutching to your assertion that a deluded mind is always a mental illness with a false premise that someone who believes they have rights and freedoms doesn't have them without the sanction of government. If you can't understand that I'm pointing out the flaws in that premise, then your aren't a good debater. That doesn't mean that someone walking around claiming they see people that clearly aren't there don't have mental illness, but clearly you are extending that beyond the bounds of logic.

    I see you are debating others on more broad issues of what is a right, but in many places, having intimate relations has always been a right, whether under privacy or whatever source. There were governments saying that people didn't have those rights. You are asserting that indeed they didn't have that right until government said they had that right--whether through legislation or judicial decision. I disagree with that. The right was always there and whether the government agreed or not does not remove that right.

    Try to elevate your debate beyond seeing everything as a personal attack. I don't give a crap about you one way or the other, but I evaluate everyone's points on their own merit. Perhaps it is you who should let go of your debating baggage.

  8. #1788
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Orwellian? Which side is it that believes that we're only hurting people if we give them a helping hand?

    Hive-Minded? One party is completely conservative...and the other has mostly liberals but several conservatives. So...how's that "hive-minded" thing go again?
    Which two parties are you referring to? My first instinct is the two dominant political parties, but there is enough lack of context here that you could be talking about the two side on this argument.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #1789
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,989

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    So do you own any property? Do you feel as if you ought to be the one who decides who is allowed on your property?
    Yes I own property - my house and lot. There is a difference between a home and a business. When one opens a business to the public, they have to abide by the laws covering that area of life.

    I do NOT believe that it is only my will giving me 100% control over property I may own. I live in a nation and have placed myself under the laws of that nation because I believe there are benefits in return for doing that. Balance..... balance .... balance .... just like in other things.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1790
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,989

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    In your feelings of persecution, you assume that I am attacking you. You are clutching to your assertion that a deluded mind is always a mental illness with a false premise that someone who believes they have rights and freedoms doesn't have them without the sanction of government. If you can't understand that I'm pointing out the flaws in that premise, then your aren't a good debater. That doesn't mean that someone walking around claiming they see people that clearly aren't there don't have mental illness, but clearly you are extending that beyond the bounds of logic.

    I see you are debating others on more broad issues of what is a right, but in many places, having intimate relations has always been a right, whether under privacy or whatever source. There were governments saying that people didn't have those rights. You are asserting that indeed they didn't have that right until government said they had that right--whether through legislation or judicial decision. I disagree with that. The right was always there and whether the government agreed or not does not remove that right.

    Try to elevate your debate beyond seeing everything as a personal attack. I don't give a crap about you one way or the other, but I evaluate everyone's points on their own merit. Perhaps it is you who should let go of your debating baggage.
    Again - you attack me and pretend you are doing nothing of the kind. Talk about your weak debate skills!!!!

    I think what you resent and what brought about this negativity in your posts is my assertion that it is a form of mental illness or delusionary state for one to believe in something that is clearly contrary to everyday reality when all the other evidence tells you your belief is simply folly. I suspect that hits far too close to home for you so you express yourself as you have done striking out at me.

    Look - you or anybody can claim to have all the rights you want and you can claim to have always had them. But reality is that if the government of the nation you have chosen to live in DOES NOT recognize those rights, you simply do not have that right. That is just reality. To then cling to the fiction that you really do have the right but its just on some sort of break or its not being exercised is just nonsense. It is the way a deluded mind structures defense mechanisms to live with beliefs that are clearly contrary to reality but with which they are unable to rid themselves of because they want to believe and their beliefs are central to them - in this case an entire political belief system.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •