View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 174 of 230 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #1731
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What you advocate is the political and legal environment which would then permit it as a natural consequence of changes in our laws.
    What I advocate is the liberty to be who and what I am that does not violate the rights of others, i.e. require any unwilling contribution or participation by any other. What I advocate is an understanding that requiring involuntary servitude to another takes away our liberty and with it all our rights.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #1732
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    yes, you should try it, since the constitution is not meant to address the people, it creates federalism between states and the federal government.

    is the federal government given power over the people by the constitution....no!

    does the constitution grant or gives rights to the people..............no!

    so how is the constitution suppose to dispense rights/ freedoms to people....when it is BUSY creating federalism VIA the construction of the federal government.

    you concerns about rights, land, and so forth, ...should be addressed on the state level, not federal level.



    That's exactly what the Confederates (Who got their butts kicked in the U.S. Civil War.) thought.

    Case closed.

  3. #1733
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,786

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Wow, I gave you the chance to back off your application of mental illness to slaves and gays and you doubled down. Both groups thought they possess freedom when the then "current" reality says they don't.
    WOW!!! What a bunch of nonsense. Nice to know how you are speaking for 4 million slaves who you want to believe thought they had rights and freedoms when their everyday reality told them otherwise in ways you and I could never contemplate nor appreciate.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #1734
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    That's exactly what the Confederates (Who got their butts kicked in the U.S. Civil War.) thought.

    Case closed.
    first:.....you took your Que ..of my Madison post, with deals with the founders....and the Constitution of 1787

    if you think i am wrong...fine!....i will call you on it.... then.......post a reply showing me where in the Constitution IT ..grants, gives, bestows rights /freedoms on the people, or it gives government general authority over the life's liberty and property of the people.

    please show me where this is..

    as stated to you before, the constitution does away with the articles of confederation, creating a new federal government,and delegating to them few powers, making them very limited.

    all powers which are not delegated to the federal government by the constitution REMAIN the powers of the states, and to the people.

    in the creation of the new federal government it separates powers between the states and the federal government.

    the states are prohibited from engaging in the delegated powers of the federal government, and the federal government is prohibited from engaging in state powers, and both the federal and states government are prohibited from taking a few actions.IE.....[No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed]

    THE CONSTITUTION IS not LIBERATING DOCUMENT..................IT IS A LIMITING DOCUMENT.

    the Constitution does not grant any authority to the federal government [congress] in the life's liberties and property of the people, because there is no such clause in the constitution

    shrubnose........you stated civil war.......however again you initial comment, started with Madison,,....not the confederate states of america.

  5. #1735
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    We take other peoples property on a daily basis through taxation. That is part of the price all pay for living in a civilized society.
    That we do, aggregate society comes at cost. There's no such thing as a free lunch and the labor of others is not free, we have to pay for it. That is neither here nor there. Don't deflect, what rights are infringed upon.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #1736
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    first:.....you took your Que ..of my Madison post, with deals with the founders....and the Constitution of 1787

    if you think i am wrong...fine!...
    .i will call you on it.... then.......post a reply showing me where in the Constitution IT ..grants, gives, bestows rights /freedoms on the people, or it gives government general authority over the life's liberty and property of the people.

    please show me where this is..

    as stated to you before, the constitution does away with the articles of confederation, creating a new federal government,and delegating to them few powers, making them very limited.

    all powers which are not delegated to the federal government by the constitution REMAIN the powers of the states, and to the people.

    in the creation of the new federal government it separates powers between the states and the federal government.

    the states are prohibited from engaging in the delegated powers of the federal government, and the federal government is prohibited from engaging in state powers, and both the federal and states government are prohibited from taking a few actions.IE.....[No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed]

    THE CONSTITUTION IS not LIBERATING DOCUMENT..................IT IS A LIMITING DOCUMENT.

    the Constitution does not grant any authority to the federal government [congress] in the life's liberties and property of the people, because there is no such clause in the constitution

    shrubnose........you stated civil war.......however again you initial comment, started with Madison,,....not the confederate states of america.



    Drone on all that you want, it's a free country, but don't look for any response from me.

    I have other things to waste my precious time on.




    "One hundred years from now you'll look back on all this and laugh your ass off."
    Last edited by shrubnose; 04-29-14 at 03:04 PM.

  7. #1737
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Drone on all that you want, it's a free country, but don't look for any response from me.
    in other words, you have no rebuttal, because you were wrong and cant...but will act indifferent ..to save face.

  8. #1738
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,786

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    wrong, a statist is a person who believes in government,...which by your words, that is what i believe you are about since i have ever heard from you something government "cannot do",...you even believe our rights come via the government.

    i my get on to you [ demonize if you like], when you assert that what i believe, would hurt, kill, starve, do damage to other people, in other words, "fear mongering"
    You do not believe in the necessity of government then? When did you convert to anarchy?

    How do you like it when your own meal is served to you?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #1739
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,786

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The very definition of inalienable Rights and Privilege.

    Dictionary.com ~ inalienable rights
    Businessdictionary.com ~ inalienable rights
    Mirriam-Webster ~ inalienable
    US Legal ~ inalienable rights
    Thefreedictionary.com ~ privlege
    Mirriam-Webster ~ privilege


    Need I go on? Where do you get that Rights can be taken away or given?



    If you did then we wouldn't be having this conversation.



    Why? You draw to conclusions based on what people say all the time. Why hold everyone else to a standard that you won't adhere to also?



    How do you know he's angry?



    Ascribing that the other person wants to be a bigot based on his belief that there is no right to not be discriminated against. Sure sounds like you are just dealing with what he said and not what you want it to be huh?

    I could go on and on showinig posts where you have ascribed things to people that they did not say. But that you believe they meant.
    Anything in the Constitution - and that includes the Bill of Rights - can be changed via amendment.

    And if you cannot deal with what I say without your own ridiculous conclusions - you are intentionally engaging in intellectual fraud.

    Glad to see you admit this is about your BELIEFS and not my lack of knowledge.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1740
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,786

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    What I advocate is the liberty to be who and what I am that does not violate the rights of others, i.e. require any unwilling contribution or participation by any other. What I advocate is an understanding that requiring involuntary servitude to another takes away our liberty and with it all our rights.
    yeah - I see the fancy lipstick but I still see the pig behind it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •