View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 167 of 230 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #1661
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The thing is, most people sitting here claiming "no discrimination" don't really mean it. I asked Rabbit quite some time ago how far her absolute towards no discrimination really went. She couldn't answer. Which is telling. What they are really saying is "no discrimination that I don't like, but there are certainly other forms of discrimination that I will endorse".

    In the end, once you move away from government protecting natural rights and into morality, practically anything can be excused for any reason. Turns out government is not a moral institution.
    Right, because in your interpretation things like sexual harassment would be allowed because the right not to sexually harass would oppress the harassers' rights

  2. #1662
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Right, because in your interpretation things like sexual harassment would be allowed because the right not to sexually harass would oppress the harassers' rights
    Nope, there are always limits. If one is merely on your property, for instance, you cannot shoot them less they pose an actual threat since life will take majority position to property.

    Also, saying that a private business is private does not say that sexual harassment could be acceptable under certain situations, so if you'd please refrain from the hyperbole and hysteria, we can have an actual discussion. if intellectual dishonesty is all you wish for your arguments, then continue in this manner.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #1663
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,538
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, a place of business is not the same thing as an exclusive club or your back yard.
    I work out of my home and conduct business from my home.

    But the same would apply if I decided to have a private gathering in my place of business. I have worked for many who did that--invited who they wanted to be there, then locked the doors. How do you think you are entitled to anything from my business that I bought the land for, built the physical premises, invested everything I had to grow and prosper it? What rationale do you use to require me to give anything to you of my person or my property that I legally and ethically acquired? What gives you a right to any part of it?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #1664
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Right, because in your interpretation things like sexual harassment would be allowed because the right not to sexually harass would oppress the harassers' rights
    simple basic of rights.........you cannot use force on anyone, unless they pose a threat.

    harassment is a force.

  5. #1665
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well as i stated, if i am using coercion a form of force, intimidation on you to get you to do what i want, and that is illegal.

    but as a customer....i just refuse to deal with you, but use no force on you, and ask you to just leave......you have no case.
    No, it's not just intimidation. Sexual harassment has to do with holding power over a person as with discrimination.

  6. #1666
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I work out of my home and conduct business from my home.

    But the same would apply if I decided to have a private gathering in my place of business. I have worked for many who did that--invited who they wanted to be there, then locked the doors. How do you think you are entitled to anything from my business that I bought the land for, built the physical premises, invested everything I had to grow and prosper it? What rationale do you use to require me to give anything to you of my person or my property that I legally and ethically acquired? What gives you a right to any part of it?
    Some people think that they are entitled to other people's property and labor.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #1667
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, it's not just intimidation. Sexual harassment has to do with holding power over a person as with discrimination.
    oh how.....if you work for me, and i use harassment[a force], then i want you to do something for me to keep your position, or i am using harassment to make you subservient to me, to keep your position.

    as a customer, by not dealing with you, i am using any FORCE on you, and you also have the ability to walk out of my business with no repercussions, because you hold no position with me in my business.

  8. #1668
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    oh how.....if you work for me, and i use harassment[a force], then i want you to do something for me to keep your position, or i am using harassment to make you subservient to me, to keep your position.

    as a customer, by not dealing with you, i am using any FORCE on you, and you also have the ability to walk out of my business with no repercussions, because you hold no position with me in my business.
    No, you are not using force but your power.

  9. #1669
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, you are not using force but your power.
    you continue to make statements which are not true, ,when asked what natural right is being violated, you cannot name anything.....but state [federal law] then you you say force is being used, when you know its not..you case is weak and you know it.

    the business is not doing business with you, because he wants you to just go away and leave him alone...and you know that is not force.
    Last edited by Master PO; 04-28-14 at 09:20 PM.

  10. #1670
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you continue to make statements which are not true, ,when asked what natural right is being violated, you cannot name anything.....but state [federal law] then you you say force is being used, when you know its not..you case is weak and you know it.

    the business is not going business with you, because he wants you to just go away and leave him alone...and you know that is not force.
    Same thing can be said about a person given the choice in a place of business to leave his property or engage in sex. The person can simply exercise their rights to walk off the property because no force was used. A choice was given. The issue was not force but power. The power to make this person walk from their job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •