View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 160 of 230 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #1591
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Others had a different opinion.
    How can historical facts be opinions? You can't change history. It's there for all to see.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #1592
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    How can historical facts be opinions? You can't change history. It's there for all to see.
    Sure, if it absolute, feel free to change the law. Should be a cake walk.

  3. #1593
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,947

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I think that you have a major equivocation in your argument. In my dictionary discrimination does not equal racism. One may discriminate against a multitude of behaviors and cultural practices without holding a bit of racist animosity. Secondly, there should be a distinction in the question between institutional discrimination (enforced by governmental statute or power) and an individual who discriminates.
    Except they really don't care about individuals. Go back and look at all of their avoidance when asked simple up or down answers. They post a premise that no one should deny another business or resource due to an unchangeable attribute, but then they do two things that directly oppose that premise. First they include changeable attributes, such as religion and marital status (not that I believe that such are proper basis for discrimination but when you claim that unchangeable is the criteria...), and more importantly, they turn around and allow the buyer to deny the seller business and resource based upon the exact same attributes. This isn't about equality and racism. It's about them not liking what one's rights allows them to do, and instead of using their rights to impose social pressure, they instead take rights from others with laws that are hypocritical to their claimed goals.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  4. #1594
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    yes, we is were we can find agreement, some companies are getting involved in your personal life which has nothing to do with the company you work for, ..one of the reasons I want contract law, you and your company come to terms on employment, as long as you fulfill your end of the written contract, they cannot fire for things they just don't like.
    You do know that property owners, when you work for them, consider you their property, on and off their property. That is what we are dealing with. These people think their rights trump all others.

  5. #1595
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Except they really don't care about individuals. Go back and look at all of their avoidance when asked simple up or down answers. They post a premise that no one should deny another business or resource due to an unchangeable attribute, but then they do two things that directly oppose that premise. First they include changeable attributes, such as religion and marital status (not that I believe that such are proper basis for discrimination but when you claim that unchangeable is the criteria...), and more importantly, they turn around and allow the buyer to deny the seller business and resource based upon the exact same attributes. This isn't about equality and racism. It's about them not liking what one's rights allows them to do, and instead of using their rights to impose social pressure, they instead take rights from others with laws that are hypocritical to their claimed goals.
    Nah, Civil Rights Laws don't just apply to property owners but every single individual.

  6. #1596
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,947

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Nah, Civil Rights Laws don't just apply to property owners but every single individual.
    So then by law a buyer cannot deny a seller business or resource due to unchangeable attributes?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  7. #1597
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Yes. Any individual can use the Civil Rights Law if they fell their rights are violated based on personal attribute.

  8. #1598
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Jews have-how much violent crime is committed by young men wearing Yarmulkes?

    You weren't talking about fighting discrimination-you talked about VIOLENCE
    Jews weren't kept as slaves throughout most of the white world for centuries, were they? And in most of the white world, they were seen as equals. In the Far East, they were valued, even protected in Shanghai during the war between Japan and China (look up the Sassoon family sometime). And have you ever heard of the Rothschilds?

    Dude, you cannot point to the Jews and say they had it worse than the blacks. The Jews were persecuted for centuries and sometimes were the victims of genocide, yes - but they were NOT slaves, were NOT seen automatically as slaves because of the color of their skin. The Jews never had to stand by and watch their little girls being sold on the auction block. Was genocide worse? Yes, of course it was...but the genocide was an EVENT that lasted for several years. Slavery, on the other hand, lasted for CENTURIES.

    Your claims about the blacks, btw, is no different from the views of Americans when the Irish and the Italians were coming to America in droves.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #1599
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Out of curiosity why are you making this about whites vs every other race out there? You do realize that the rights we are talking about applies to them as business owners right? A black business owner has just as much Right to refuse service to a white person as any other race, including whites.
    You may not realize this, but blacks have a centuries-long history of being enslaved by whites, followed by a century of Jim Crow (which itself was followed by thirty years of support for Apartheid in South Africa by politicians who have only recently left the scene). When blacks are denied business by whites, they will remember what they just came out of...and it's really naive of you to not expect them to react violently, because they will see their rights taken away that they suffered so long to get.

    All your arguments to the contrary are the height of naivete.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  10. #1600
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    I have communicated very clearly to them that i don't think I have the right to violate the body or property of my fellow man in order to coerce him to trade with someone against his will. I state this very, very clearly.

    So, in your mind, does a person engaged in public shopping walking on a public sidewalk have the right to refuse to do business with a shopkeeper because of the color of the shopkeeper's skin?
    You're working REALLY hard to avoid what I said, huh? In other words, you may have told them, "I don't have the right to violate you"...which, if that's what you said, must have made you look pretty silly...

    ...but you have NOT told them, "I believe it's a human right to refuse to do business with you because of the color of your skin." And why haven't you done so? Because you know better than to do so. And if I were a betting man, I'd bet a lot of money that none of your non-white friends read what you post here...because you know better than to let them do so.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •