View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 16 of 230 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    There is no such thing as a right to discriminate, or the freedom to not be discriminated against. There are only property rights and the property owner's ability to choose who he sells his property to. That, of course, does not protect him from the consequences of his choices. If his customers see him as bigoted and stop buying from him, that's a consequence of his actions and one he has to deal with. So I don't really like either answer because nobody really has the "right" to discriminate. Go ahead, discriminate I could care less. As a gay woman myself, if I were to see a "No Homos" sign up in a store window my absolute last thought would be "the government needs to force them to serve me." My thought, instead, would be to blast them to all their customers and boycott their services. If you're going to be a bigot and not serve blacks or gays, be prepared for the full force of societal anger and outrage of which I will be at the head of. I may not want government intervening, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Knock yourself out. Don't let me stop you from discriminating but if you own a business, you can put that hatred aside to sell your goods to 'people'.
    Picking who you commence in commerce with is your right, so no, I don't see any reason to tell people to put aside their reasons for not doing so.

  3. #153
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    There is no such thing as a right to discriminate, or the freedom to not be discriminated against. There are only property rights and the property owner's ability to choose who he sells his property to. That, of course, does not protect him from the consequences of his choices. If his customers see him as bigoted and stop buying from him, that's a consequence of his actions and one he has to deal with. So I don't really like either answer because nobody really has the "right" to discriminate. Go ahead, discriminate I could care less. As a gay woman myself, if I were to see a "No Homos" sign up in a store window my absolute last thought would be "the government needs to force them to serve me." My thought, instead, would be to blast them to all their customers and boycott their services. If you're going to be a bigot and not serve blacks or gays, be prepared for the full force of societal anger and outrage of which I will be at the head of. I may not want government intervening, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.
    Sorry, but the laws are already on the books and it does more good than harm. There are plenty of places that would love to discriminate.

  4. #154
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How do you have the freedom to make choices in your life towards your own person and your property if you can't discriminate? The real harm of these laws is that they fundamentally violate the sovereignty of people.
    You have that right, in your private business or private life, just not if you're a public business.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  5. #155
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    There is no such thing as a right to discriminate, or the freedom to not be discriminated against. There are only property rights and the property owner's ability to choose who he sells his property to. That, of course, does not protect him from the consequences of his choices. If his customers see him as bigoted and stop buying from him, that's a consequence of his actions and one he has to deal with. So I don't really like either answer because nobody really has the "right" to discriminate. Go ahead, discriminate I could care less. As a gay woman myself, if I were to see a "No Homos" sign up in a store window my absolute last thought would be "the government needs to force them to serve me." My thought, instead, would be to blast them to all their customers and boycott their services. If you're going to be a bigot and not serve blacks or gays, be prepared for the full force of societal anger and outrage of which I will be at the head of. I may not want government intervening, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.
    What do you mean you'd rather solve the problem through informed consumerism and intelligent interaction!!!?? Don't you see, only the government can save us!
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #156
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Silly double posts.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Generally, the only places where one has a right to discriminate is in one's home (or other non-public property) or in a private membership club

  8. #158
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Picking who you commence in commerce with is your right, so no, I don't see any reason to tell people to put aside their reasons for not doing so.
    No, it's not. Can an ER doctor turn you away if you were sick or dying because he hates your religion? No, he can't as any person selling a good or service cannot.

  9. #159
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, it's not. Can an ER doctor turn you away if you were sick or dying because he hates your religion? No, he can't as any person selling a good or service cannot.
    I think there's reasonable exception for emergency services wherein one's life is truly on the line, as refusal of service will in fact infringe upon right. But if you're talking about a cupcake...that's a bit different than emergency surgery.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #160
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think there's reasonable exception for emergency services wherein one's life is truly on the line, as refusal of service will in fact infringe upon right. But if you're talking about a cupcake...that's a bit different than emergency surgery.
    Why? If a person is low on gas and is near the only gas station in town that says 'No Blacks Allowed' and your black, that would be fine?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •