View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 155 of 230 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #1541
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Let me condense your last paragraph: "Why can't we discriminate against gays?"

    It's the same old story - you care less about people being free from discrimination than you do your 'right' to discriminate.
    I suppose I'm not surprised that's what you took from my post. Or that you refuse to answer the question. And please understand that due to my self imposed rule not to engage in exercises of futility, I won't expend any more effort to explain. Do have a nice day.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #1542
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, I'm not. It was once said that giving power to unaccountable private industry is much like a tyranny in the sense the public has zero, nada, zip role in everything. You keep reinforcing how correct this point is, so I will thank you for that. I will also save many of these points being made by you and the Cato Institute for future reference. This has been a very constructive debate.
    your example about tyranny is for government, a business does not have power of the life's of the people, your error was [private] i always speak about government tyranny.....like government forced coercion..

  3. #1543
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Suuuuuure they do. All your minority friends know that you support someone's "right" to discriminate against others because of their color/ethnicity/religion/sexual orientation...and they're all perfectly fine with that.

    Mm-hmm...riiiiiiiight.

    What's amazing is that you're actually expecting anyone here (except for maybe a few people who think just like you do) to buy that line you just tried to hand me.
    Yes, they know that I don't think I have the right to initiate violence against them or anyone else.

  4. #1544
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Of course that's what you would say...because in TD world, everything is magically hunky-dory for blacks, and it would be unthinkable that they would react violently government-approved racism because their parents remember life under Jim Crow....
    you are the one who seems to think that blacks are less able to control their emotions than whites.
    the government not interfering with what private businesses do is hardly government approved racism

    you need to learn what the terms mean



  5. #1545
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Okay, guy, go ahead then - kick blacks out of your business and tell them that it's your civil right to not serve blacks in your business if you don't want to...and watch what happens.

    You won't even get any sympathy from Hannity or O'Reilly, much less from those of us on the left. You'd get less sympathy than the "Sovereign Citizen" wackos get. But don't let all that stop you, now - just go on and follow up in real life with what you're writing down here, y'hear?
    my right to discriminate is not a civil right, its a natural right, civil rights are created by governments.....you cannot use a government created right as a tool of force on another citizen, the rest of your argument is an emotional rant.

  6. #1546
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    your example about tyranny is for government, a business does not have power of the life's of the people, your error was [private] i always speak about government tyranny.....like government forced coercion..
    Um, yeah they do have plenty of power in a person's life. We already know if you work for any at will company you can be fired for doing anything they don't like in your private life off the clock. Now the icing on the cake is you telling me that they can decide if people can get resources or not based on their decision to do business with you. You can't get much more authoritarian in nature. They are the decider in all things privatized. At least government services are held accountable by the public and the government can't deny people services based on discrimination. If you are a taxpayer you have sway. Personally, I'm not for authoritarian rule in my life unless for safety reason.

  7. #1547
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Um, yeah they do have plenty of power in a person's life. We already know if you work for any at will company you can be fired for doing anything they don't like in your private life off the clock.
    you cannot do anything which on the internet or public, which makes the company you work for look bad, they can fire you.

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Now the icing on the cake is you telling me that they can decide if people can get resources or not based on their decision to do business with you.
    resources?.....they are private property which you believe you can force a person to turn over to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    You can't get much more authoritarian in nature. They are the decider in all things privatized. At least government services are held accountable by the public and the government can't deny people services based on discrimination. If you are a taxpayer you have sway. Personally, I'm not for authoritarian rule in my life unless for safety reason.
    and average citizen owning a business, cannot be authoritarian.....because he was not control over you and your actions in your life........only on his own property.

  8. #1548
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Personally, I'm not for authoritarian rule in my life unless for safety reason.
    Speaking of being authoritarian, do you feel as if you have a right to violate the body or property of your fellow man in order to coerce him to trade with someone against his will?

  9. #1549
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you cannot do anything which on the internet or public, which makes the company you work for look bad, they can fire you.



    resources?.....they are private property which you believe you can force a person to turn over to you.



    and average citizen owning a business, cannot be authoritarian.....because he was not control over you and your actions in your life........only on his own property.
    They can also fire you if you are involved in political activities they don't agree with, if you smoke, start to gain weight, and I can't think of one thing that is off limits to them even on your own personal time. Oh, and thank you for bringing up internet and social media. The list is endless. And, you keep reinforcing my resource argument so thanks. As I illustrated they most certainly can control your actions in life and not just limited to his property. It's called authoritarian.

  10. #1550
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Speaking of being authoritarian, do you feel as if you have a right to violate the body or property of your fellow man in order to coerce him to trade with someone against his will?
    His will to deny business is authoritarian so fight fire with fire

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •