View Poll Results: What's More Important - the "Right" to Discriminate, or Freedom From Discrimination?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Right to Discriminate

    38 33.04%
  • Freedom From Discrimination

    77 66.96%
Page 120 of 230 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 2291

Thread: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discrimination?

  1. #1191
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, that still doesn't make them servants.
    Scuze me? Forcing someone to serve another person doesn't make them servants? Really? What planet do you live on?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #1192
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Scuze me? Forcing someone to serve another person doesn't make them servants? Really? What planet do you live on?
    The point is you are not serving them. Some people may say any person who works consumer service does serve the public. That doesn't mean you are a servant, and neither are people who have to sell lottery tickets to people on welfare. They may hate the idea but that does not make them a servant. The whole word is being so misused.

  3. #1193
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Scuze me? Forcing someone to serve another person doesn't make them servants? Really? What planet do you live on?
    Nice play on words, but no. Not being able to discriminate based on race doesn't make anyone a servent.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 04-24-14 at 09:23 PM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #1194
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Um, actually, "open to the public" DOES mean anyone (who does not present a danger or undue disruption to the business) CAN come in any time they like. And whether you like it or not, being of a different color is NOT an "undue disruption" of the business.
    You say anyone, and then immediately follow it with exceptions, and no, they can't come in "any time they like". Someone being of a different color is not and undue disruption to me. If I hated black people, it probably would be...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    For your edification, a legal definition of "public":

    Pertaining to a state, nation, or whole community; proceeding from, re- lating to, or affecting the whole body of people or an entire community. Open to all; notorious. Common to all or many; general ; open to common use. Morgan v. Cree, 46 Vt. 786, 14 Am. Rep. 640; Crane v. Waters (C. C.) 10 Fed. 621; Austin v. Soule, 36 Vt. 650; Appeal of Eliot, 74 Coun. 586, 51 Atl. 558; 0′IIara v. Miller, 1 Kulp (Pa.) 295.

    Sorry, but I don't see any exceptions there for people of different colors.
    Thanks, but I haven't learned anything new by reading your definition. Ecofarm would call you a dumbass for posting that, by the way, but I digress...there is also nothing in that definition about private. My guess is that's because public is the opposite of private. Public is something everyone has use of and a say in. Private is private.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    You're the only one I've ever seen other than myself who ever owned up to being a racist in his or her youth. Kudos to you - that's not always an easy admission. That said, it wasn't a lynching that changed my mind, either - it was a career in the Navy, finding out first-hand that people all over the world are the same (with allowances for local culture).
    Surely I'm not the only one. I remember a time when I thought the dirtiest name I could call someone was "nigger lover". The earliest experience that I can remember with black person was at a basketball game at my school and they smeared **** all over the bathroom wall. Looking back, I can't say that I blame them if they did it, but it's equally like that one of our douchbag racist students did it and blamed it on the black kid. Hell, it could have been one of the parents. Any way, at the end of the day, what really opened my eyes was when the first and only black kid came to our school and played football with us. He wasn't a dick and he was faster and stronger than any of us, so there wasn't anything substantive to criticize him about. He was different, but I pegged more of the differences to him being a yankee than being black. I used to hate yankees too, by the way. At this point I'd say "that guy who thinks nigger lover is a dirty name" is just about the dirtiest name I could call someone.

    One other thing that really hit me in the face about race was when I started realizing that there were pretty black girls too.

  5. #1195
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What the heck do you mean by "which you have chosen to be with this statement"?
    You are falsely ascribing negative attributes to him based on your preconceived notions of his intentions. I think you probably know that, but whether you'll admit it to yourself is another question entirely.

  6. #1196
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Really? What do you think would have happened in 1858 had you displayed what our modern pornography shows? What do you think would have happened if you went to your child's school and told them that no, they can't use taxpayer money to celebrate 'Christmas'? What do you think would have happened if you burned an American flag in public?

    No, the freedom of speech then doesn't even come close to what we have now.
    Tell that to the kid who can't display the American flag on his truck in the school parking lot because the school is afraid it will piss off the Mexicans.

  7. #1197
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Wait. Who is advocating for the government to be allowed to discriminate? Last I checked the argument was that individuals should be allowed to discriminate even within the confines of their private business. I'll admit that there are a lot of post that I have not read because you guys are blowing up this thread and there a ton of new pages that posted both between when I went to bed last night and waking up this morning, and between my leaving for work and getting home tonight. It's hard to keep up with it all.
    By allowing the law to have "protected classes", the law discriminates. Having such a thing as a "hate crime" as opposed to a regular crime provides a level of protection for some that it does not provide for others. That's discrimination, of the negative sort.

  8. #1198
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    That's fine because you're not discriminating based on a person's attributes.
    No. The correct answer is: "That's fine because it's your business."

  9. #1199
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    No. The correct answer is: "That's fine because it's your business."
    Having a business doesn't give one a license to do whatever he pleases.

  10. #1200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Which Is More Important? The Right to Discriminate, or Freedom from Discriminati

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    That's fine because you're not discriminating based on a person's attributes.
    So do you think that you have the right to violate the body or property of your fellow man in order to coerce him to trade with someone against his will?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •