View Poll Results: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

    15 50.00%
  • False

    15 50.00%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 167

Thread: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

  1. #1
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    "If the top 10% already pay 70% of all federal income taxes then there can be no claim that they do not pay at least their fair share"

    Is the above statement True or False?


  2. #2
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "If the top 10% already pay 70% of all federal income taxes then there can be no claim that they do not pay at least their fair share"

    Is the above statement True or False?
    This is what you wrote said about it a couple days ago.

    "Again, I need to remind you what the group pays as whole is meaningless because they pay taxes as individuals. "

    Bored?

  3. #3
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    This is what you wrote said about it a couple days ago.

    "Again, I need to remind you what the group pays as whole is meaningless because they pay taxes as individuals. "

    Bored?
    Nope, not at all. What do you say?


  4. #4
    Advisor Crossroads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    07-06-15 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    408
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    If you consider the fact they own 75 percent of all "wealth" in the country, then no, the statement might not hold. But since this is about "income", of which they constitute about 48 percent of, then yes, the statement could be considered true.

    I still voted "no" however. There are plenty of other factors to consider. There is a reason we have a "progressive" tax system, it helps compensate for the inherent inequalities in a system such as ours. Yes, that would be the "redistribute the wealth" thing.

  5. #5
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Nope, not at all. What do you say?
    I think lots of people will claim the top 10% don't pay their fair share. I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that's where you're headed here with the quote from Jack.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "If the top 10% already pay 70% of all federal income taxes then there can be no claim that they do not pay at least their fair share"

    Is the above statement True or False?
    The above statement is false.Even if everybody for example paid 10% of their income the top 10% would still pay a huge percentage of the taxes collected because they make a significantly way more money than your average American. I do support a fair tax, preferably in the form a national sales tax. So I am not some progressive who thinks the more you make the higher percentage you should be taxed.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    The statement is absolutely true, and only disagreed with by people who are jealous, lazy, and envious of another's success. If someone becomes rich, they truly need to believe that the government chose them to be a winner because it acquits them of their own failures.

    Humans are responsibility-shirkers by nature, and when they can't validate their own shortcomings, they seek external sources to blame.

  8. #8
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The above statement is false.Even if everybody for example paid 10% of their income the top 10% would still pay a huge percentage of the taxes collected because they make a significantly way more money than your average American. I do support a fair tax, preferably in the form a national sales tax. So I am not some progressive who thinks the more you make the higher percentage you should be taxed.
    You are correct the statement is false, however the fact they are in a group is literally meaningless. People pay their taxes as individuals, not as a member of a group.


  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,267

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "If the top 10% already pay 70% of all federal income taxes then there can be no claim that they do not pay at least their fair share"

    Is the above statement True or False?
    That probably depends on your own point of view and less a question of something being true or false.
    But the question is very much worth looking at. Is the proportion of tax paid higher or lower than the proportion of wealth or income?
    What is the impact on investment vs consumptiin aggregates for society? How does this impact longterm welfare? That kind of stuff.

  10. #10
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "If the top 10% already pay 70% of all federal income taxes then there can be no claim that they do not pay at least their fair share"

    Is the above statement True or False?
    Does the top 10% make 70% of the income earned nationwide?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •