View Poll Results: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

    15 50.00%
  • False

    15 50.00%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 167

Thread: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

  1. #31
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,995
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    What is or is not fair is irrelevant. It isn't fair that famous people have more "voice" than non, by virtue of their fame alone. It isn't fair that some people will never have to do an honest days labour in their entire lives, by luck of birth. It isn't fair that some are born with better mental or physical facilities than others. Hell, for you Christians, it isn't fair that Jesus had to be tortured then died just so the rest of you can achieve salvation.


    But what can we do? Famous people have more voice because everyone is more interested in what they have to say than most of the rest of us. Can't bar famous people from politics any more than you can bar idiots from voting. You can't kill wealthy people, or prevent them the right of inheritance...and you certainly can't force all children to develop the same way.

    Rich people pay more because non rich people can't afford to. That's the bottom line.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "If the top 10% already pay 70% of all federal income taxes then there can be no claim that they do not pay at least their fair share"

    Is the above statement True or False?
    Very few people understand that practical trumps fair and if it doesn't then you have a dysfunctional organization.

    I voted true. If 10% of the people pay 70% of the income tax then they are doing more than their fair share. In this case, fair doesn't pay the bills.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
    If you consider the fact they own 75 percent of all "wealth" in the country,
    Totally irrelevant.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #34
    Advisor Crossroads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    07-06-15 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    408
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Totally irrelevant.
    As is your comment here, due to the fact that the rest of my post points out the fact that the "75% of all wealth" bit is irrelevant in regards to the weighing of "fairness" when it comes to the income tax.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
    As is your comment here, due to the fact that the rest of my post points out the fact that the "75% of all wealth" bit is irrelevant in regards to the weighing of "fairness" when it comes to the income tax.
    No! It is irrelevant because the taxes have already been paid on it, as it is wealth.

    There are only three things that would be fair. On earnings, everybody pays the same amount as a citizen, or everybody pays the same percentage.
    Or everybody pays only for that which the consume.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #36
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I did read the question.The first part of my post does not contradict the rest.The fact is someone who makes a million dollars will pay more money in taxes than someone who makes $50,000, it doesn't matter if that person who is making a million dollars is paying %40 or %1 of their income in taxes.You have to look at the percentage rates.The poll question does not bring that into account.
    So you think there CAN be a claim that they do not pay at least their fair share?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  7. #37
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    "If the top 10% already pay 70% of all federal income taxes then there can be no claim that they do not pay at least their fair share"

    Is the above statement True or False?
    fair is a loaded term

    my definition of fair is a group of 10% should pay 10% of the FIT

    another definition is that if the top 10% makes say 50% of the income they should pay 50% of the income tax

    only if the top 10% make 70% of the income would such a tax scenario be fair

    since the top 10% pay more than ten percent and more than their share of the income, then using the two most objective standards, the top 10% of taxed too much and thus treated unfairly



  8. #38
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    What is or is not fair is irrelevant. It isn't fair that famous people have more "voice" than non, by virtue of their fame alone. It isn't fair that some people will never have to do an honest days labour in their entire lives, by luck of birth. It isn't fair that some are born with better mental or physical facilities than others. Hell, for you Christians, it isn't fair that Jesus had to be tortured then died just so the rest of you can achieve salvation.


    But what can we do? Famous people have more voice because everyone is more interested in what they have to say than most of the rest of us. Can't bar famous people from politics any more than you can bar idiots from voting. You can't kill wealthy people, or prevent them the right of inheritance...and you certainly can't force all children to develop the same way.

    Rich people pay more because non rich people can't afford to. That's the bottom line.
    rich people pay more than their fair share because they are outvoted by non rich people. the progressive tax scheme is a scheme politicians love-you can give a winning majority of voters stuff they want while making a minority of voters pay for most of it

    if voters got one vote for every 100 or 1000 dollars of FIT paid, the progressive tax scheme would be far less likely to exist



  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    rich people pay more than their fair share because they are outvoted by non rich people. the progressive tax scheme is a scheme politicians love-you can give a winning majority of voters stuff they want while making a minority of voters pay for most of it

    if voters got one vote for every 100 or 1000 dollars of FIT paid, the progressive tax scheme would be far less likely to exist
    It seems time to consider how much money is being wasted through mismanagement and corruption rather then how much people are contributing to an already broken system.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is This Statement True Of Federal Income Taxes?

    I'm curious. Why is it "just" to take from the successful and redistribute to failures?


    Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads View Post
    If you consider the fact they own 75 percent of all "wealth" in the country, then no, the statement might not hold. But since this is about "income", of which they constitute about 48 percent of, then yes, the statement could be considered true.

    I still voted "no" however. There are plenty of other factors to consider. There is a reason we have a "progressive" tax system, it helps compensate for the inherent inequalities in a system such as ours. Yes, that would be the "redistribute the wealth" thing.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •