View Poll Results: Should evidence obtained illegally still be used in a trial?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 9.09%
  • No

    40 90.91%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: illegal evidence

  1. #21
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    yes the cop is wrong. I'm not arguing that. But there are other ways to discourage cops from doing it. Let the cops do time for breaking the law, be removed from the force. But one person breaking the law doesn't negate or excuse someone else breaking it.
    Ever heard the saying, 2 wrongs don't make a right? It's similar to what the CIA does to interrogate with torture, justifying the methods with the results. If it's wrong, then no reason is worth it, and its results shouldn't be allowed by punishing the violator. By NOT allowing the evidence, a message is sent that presumably innocent citizens can't have their rights violated, even if they're a suspect.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Reading another thread on here prompted this question.

    Should evidence obtained illegally still be used in a trial?

    A few things to note. I know what the law currently is so stating that the law is that it is illegal doesn't answer the question. I am asking if you personally think that evidence should be used in the trial.

    For instance if a man is killing someone and video tapes the whole thing. Cops search his house illegally and find the tape. Or anything along those lines. The cops illegal behavior doesn't change that the man committed the crime. So why should it be a factor? Doesn't the victim still deserve justice? Why not keep the evidence, since it is evidence, and instead of allowing a guilty man walk to kill again, instead punish the cop?
    There have been several very good points made against so far, and I will say that it would be a horrible idea in the long run. Some initial thoughts...

    • Police could easily plant evidence to settle a score, or simply enhance their own career.
    • Warrants would be effectively rendered moot.
    • Police are rarely held accountable as it is, even when they screw up outrageously.
    • Our justice system is for all circumstances, not individual cases, and we have to keep the overall view in mind.
    • Suspect's rights are actually rights for the innocent. The fact that the truly guilty sometimes gain benefit also is unfortunate, but protecting the innocent is just as important, if not more so.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    That's what I was thinking. People okay with this have strong Orwellian tendencies. Not only does this fly in the face of the Fourth Amendment, but what if a shoddy tip or some cop's "hunch" turns up nothing after destroying the privacy of an innocent person?

    There are so many slippery slopes that the statists are casually willing to slide down.
    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I dont know if this will make sense or not, but the way I think about it is... criminals rights are not important at all. Not even a little bit for the criminal, but they are of utmost importance to the rest of us. I dont think rights are meant to protect criminals but to protect the rest of us.
    Exactly. What did Thomas More say? From 0:12 is where it gets interesting.

  4. #24
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: illegal evidence

    I cant watch it at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Exactly. What did Thomas More say? From 0:12 is where it gets interesting.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  5. #25
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I vote yes. Evidence is evidence. As long as it's not manufactured evidence, and it still proves the guilt (or innocence) of the person, so it should be able to be used.
    If a male cop illegally searched me and found a joint in my snatch and it was used against me, then a month later pulled you over and for some reason he thought it smelled like pot, would you feel he had the right to stick his hand inside you?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  6. #26
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Reading another thread on here prompted this question.

    Should evidence obtained illegally still be used in a trial?

    A few things to note. I know what the law currently is so stating that the law is that it is illegal doesn't answer the question. I am asking if you personally think that evidence should be used in the trial.

    For instance if a man is killing someone and video tapes the whole thing. Cops search his house illegally and find the tape. Or anything along those lines. The cops illegal behavior doesn't change that the man committed the crime. So why should it be a factor? Doesn't the victim still deserve justice? Why not keep the evidence, since it is evidence, and instead of allowing a guilty man walk to kill again, instead punish the cop?
    No, illegally obtained evidence absolutely should not be admissible in court.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    If a male cop illegally searched me and found a joint in my snatch and it was used against me, then a month later pulled you over and for some reason he thought it smelled like pot, would you feel he had the right to stick his hand inside you?
    Mmmm...twat pot.

    *drools*

  8. #28
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Doesn't the victim of the crime deserve justice?
    Absolutely they deserve justice. Lots of people deserve things they don't necessarily get. Even if this particular case is air-tight, is this person's justice worth the other instances of false imprisonment in other crimes from corrupt police exploiting a lack of accountability?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There have been several very good points made against so far, and I will say that it would be a horrible idea in the long run. Some initial thoughts...

    • Police could easily plant evidence to settle a score, or simply enhance their own career.
    • Warrants would be effectively rendered moot.
    • Police are rarely held accountable as it is, even when they screw up outrageously.
    • Our justice system is for all circumstances, not individual cases, and we have to keep the overall view in mind.
    • Suspect's rights are actually rights for the innocent. The fact that the truly guilty sometimes gain benefit also is unfortunate, but protecting the innocent is just as important, if not more so.
    thats not true at all. I am not saying that we should make it ok for illegal searches to be legal and give cops the green light to do what they want. If a cop performs an illegal search he should be punished. Jail time, removal from the force. Something along those lines. However, punishing the victim, other members of society, and the victims family ect by saying that if a cop makes a mistake or breaks the law that crime is ok does not seem like the right thing to do.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: illegal evidence

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    thats not true at all. I am not saying that we should make it ok for illegal searches to be legal and give cops the green light to do what they want. If a cop performs an illegal search he should be punished. Jail time, removal from the force. Something along those lines. However, punishing the victim, other members of society, and the victims family ect by saying that if a cop makes a mistake or breaks the law that crime is ok does not seem like the right thing to do.
    No offense intended, but I think it is true. I think that is exactly what would happen.

    If we're not willing to enforce the piddly punishments we have on the books now, where do you think we'll get the resolve to suddenly get tough on those whom we already put on a pedestal and give great benefit of the doubt? Undeserved benefit of the doubt, I will add.

    Your scenario, while fine on paper, would require a HUGE reversal of societal mindset. Simply passing a few new laws wouldn't be enough.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •