View Poll Results: Homeschooling

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I homeschool

    6 8.22%
  • No, I don't homeschool

    24 32.88%
  • Yes, it's a viable option

    49 67.12%
  • No, it's a dumb idea

    15 20.55%
  • I don't care

    7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 249

Thread: Homeschooling[W:199]

  1. #81
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,567

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    All of my sons play team sports, and most of their teams through the years have had at least 1 child who was being homeschooled. You wouldn't look at those kids and think they were any different from the others who were all attending the public schools in town, except that in retrospect, they were more polite and respectful of adults than our kids were.

    I would home school my kids if they were getting bullied, were unhappy, or needed extra attention. I have a few friends that do it or have done it, and most of the time it was for the benefit of the kid for any number of reasons, and their kids were always well adjusted and very active in our town sports too. Home school kids have dances, parties and field trips just like my kids do, and got better lunches and actually got more exercise than my kids do during the school day.
    Plus you don't have to worry about your kids leaving you every day. With all the school shootings, I'm surprised more people don't home school. I'd love to home school both of my girls, but I am trying to do right by them and I want them to have this time to make friends, meet people and so on. I know that it can happen outside school, with home school functions, but unless something really bad happens, I don't want to take this away from them right now. Right now. Homeschooling is always an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  2. #82
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,077

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Plus you don't have to worry about your kids leaving you every day. With all the school shootings, I'm surprised more people don't home school. I'd love to home school both of my girls, but I am trying to do right by them and I want them to have this time to make friends, meet people and so on. I know that it can happen outside school, with home school functions, but unless something really bad happens, I don't want to take this away from them right now. Right now. Homeschooling is always an option.
    It's so funny that you say that Superfly because that exact thought hit me last week when that kid stabbed his schoolmates in PA. I put my kids of their buses these days and hope that nobody is going to hurt them in school. Isn't that sad? I guarantee my parents never worried about that when I was their age.

  3. #83
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,567

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It's so funny that you say that Superfly because that exact thought hit me last week when that kid stabbed his schoolmates in PA. I put my kids of their buses these days and hope that nobody is going to hurt them in school. Isn't that sad? I guarantee my parents never worried about that when I was their age.
    Same, same. I don't forget to say my prayers every morning when my girls go to school. So scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  4. #84
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    When you say socialized what do you mean? I am trying to pin down what that means to people because I suspect it means different things to different people. I just want to understand better where people are coming from in this regard because when I think of socialization it seems it is not what others seem to think it is.
    My daughter, the one home schooled in previous post has always participated in 4h programs for social interaction and learning. If you can learn to nurture and love an animal, it requires the same skills to deal with humanity, plus you do it with other 4Hers that become friends. I cannot emphasize how much I respect and appreciate 4H programs and personnel. It's a real gift.

  5. #85
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    My daughter, the one home schooled in previous post has always participated in 4h programs for social interaction and learning. If you can learn to nurture and love an animal, it requires the same skills to deal with humanity, plus you do it with other 4Hers that become friends. I cannot emphasize how much I respect and appreciate 4H programs and personnel. It's a real gift.
    I'm pretty sure 4H is a CIA front.

  6. #86
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    When you say socialized what do you mean? I am trying to pin down what that means to people because I suspect it means different things to different people. I just want to understand better where people are coming from in this regard because when I think of socialization it seems it is not what others seem to think it is.
    I think that most people just mean that they want their children to get plenty of interaction with other kids in their age groups, and learn to interact in a healthy manner. The home-schooling moms that I know made sure that their children hung out with a good number of other kids on their off-time.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #87
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm pretty sure 4H is a CIA front.
    Only the overseas programs run under the auspices of USAID.

  8. #88
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Only the overseas programs run under the auspices of USAID.
    Don't be so foolish. They're watching you.

  9. #89
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I'm pretty sure 4H is a CIA front.
    Yeah, I'm tellin ya- we have some bad-ass 9 year-olds around here.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #90
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yeah, I'm tellin ya- we have some bad-ass 9 year-olds around here.
    Before long, we'll have infant agent provocateurs, like Pakistan.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •