View Poll Results: Homeschooling

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I homeschool

    6 8.22%
  • No, I don't homeschool

    24 32.88%
  • Yes, it's a viable option

    49 67.12%
  • No, it's a dumb idea

    15 20.55%
  • I don't care

    7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 249

Thread: Homeschooling[W:199]

  1. #231
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I've gone into this already throughout the thread. Your ideology being secular rather than theological doesn't change my position (or my explanations).
    I don't think that we have gone through this. My question focuses on why you believe that you have some right to force your position onto the children of strangers and why you know better than they what is in the best interests of their own children. I don't believe that I know what is better for other people's children. That's a very alien way of thinking for me. I'm trying to understand how it is that you've come to hold this peculiar position.

  2. #232
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It seems that homeschool is often the last resort of the deeply religious to keep their children from learning anything about the world around them, either in terms of science, politics, economics, sexuality, medicine, or human behavior, so that they can never make an informed decision as to whether to adhere to the religious precepts of their parents or not.

    Or, you know, "avoid Liberal/socialist brainwashing of the public schools". Basically the same thing.
    It's very popular among the liberal Seattleites and those of the surrounding suburbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #233
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I don't think that we have gone through this. My question focuses on why you believe that you have some right to force your position onto the children of strangers and why you know better than they what is in the best interests of their own children. I don't believe that I know what is better for other people's children. That's a very alien way of thinking for me. I'm trying to understand how it is that you've come to hold this peculiar position.
    My explanations at the beginning of this thread, and any clarifications of nuance that were made as a result of my discussion with Gathomas is sufficient.

  4. #234
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I'm both worried and in agreement with this seeming idea/trend.
    I think that the kids who are homeschooled for non-religious reasons and do well with it would do just fine in a school setting, too. And some (many?) of them might be adjusted fine. But the places where it really shows is the kids who go out into the world trained to be little soldiers for Jesus and lack any exposure at all to competing viewpoints. They don't know how to compare ideas because they were only ever exposed to one. Whether this happens in a homeschool environment or any other, it will really cripple a person intellectually. Homeschooling has simply proven a very effective way to achieve this. A more well-rounded upbringing, in a home or a school environment, will produce a person with a much healthier mind.

    It's entirely possible that the negative trends in homeschooling are a result of larger problems, as opposed to anything from the homeschool itself. It should be recognized, however, that it is a completely unfeasible system for families that don't have a person who can stay at home to educate the children, and so the whole notion is a bit elitist. It is an impossibility for a really struggling family where both parents need to work, or for a single parent. So, for all that anyone wants to blast the public school system and praise homeschooling situations, the latter is simply not an option for a large number of Americans, and we need to ensure that the system that everyone can use is as good as it can possibly be. Anything else is just going to divide education and knowledge between the upper and lower classes and further stratify the nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I don't think that we have gone through this. My question focuses on why you believe that you have some right to force your position onto the children of strangers and why you know better than they what is in the best interests of their own children. I don't believe that I know what is better for other people's children. That's a very alien way of thinking for me. I'm trying to understand how it is that you've come to hold this peculiar position.
    Being related to someone has nothing to do with capability to act in their best interests.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #235
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Being related to someone has nothing to do with capability to act in their best interests.
    Let me guess, being a socialist best qualifies one for that task, right?

  6. #236
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I have not responded to the poll because, with respect, the options tend to be too absolute (such as thinking homeschooling is dumb). Home schooling is not popular in either the UK or Australia, but I have met one person who was home schooled, and while 'a single swallow does not a summer make', he was not a good advertisement for the system. I will qualify this by pointing out that he was part of a fundamentalist religious sect, so I doubt he was representative of the breed.

    I have two problems with coming to any definitive view on homeschooling. The first being that I went to Public School (note the capitalisation - it means something different in the UK from what it means in the USA). The teachers were very highly qualified (few did not hold a doctorate in the discipline they taught) and by and large, both proficient and unbiased. (My school has the highest academic record in the UK - and has had for a couple of hundred years.) I was not therefore aware of the 'political agenda' - liberal or otherwise - of the education system to which I was subjected. I was aware of having available to me a master in whatever discipline I was studying, and to whom I could refer (outside class) with any issues therein which troubled me.

    The second problem flows on from the first, inasmuch as I consider the cumulative effect of so many highly qualified teachers in all disciples to be difficult to replicate in the average well-educated household consisting of two adults, whose economic responsibilities might preclude them spending all day educating their children (assuming they are adequately qualified to do so right up to university entrance level).

    I can see why the religiously fundamental might want to shield their children from what they see as overly secular influences, but I can also see why the German state has made public education mandatory. It is my view that parents should not have sole responsibility (and carte blanche) as to how their children are informed about the world in which they must live. A very wise man once wrote - "Your children come through you, not from you ..." We are not the property of our parents to indoctrinate as they wish.
    Or is it possible that most parents who homeschool do so to allow their children the best possible education and solid grounding in all core subject matter? To allow their children to learn and educate themselves separated from the intense social indoctrination that is so often the case in the public schools? To provide an education customized for their child's benefit rather than a one-size-fits-all cookie cutter process that is dumbed down to accommodate the slowest students and that discourages independent and creative thought? To allow their child the ability to be the best he or she can be and not handicapped by a public school system that is one of the poorest among developed nations?

    And the quotation you presented as your point of view, i.e.: "We are not the property of our parents to indoctrinate as they wish." That send a chill through my very bones. Once we remove the child from the authority of the parent, the child becomes the property of the state to indoctrinate as it wishes. That to me is a far more dangerous and unacceptable scenario.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #237
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    So, for all that anyone wants to blast the public school system and praise homeschooling situations, the latter is simply not an option for a large number of Americans, and we need to ensure that the system that everyone can use is as good as it can possibly be. Anything else is just going to divide education and knowledge between the upper and lower classes and further stratify the nation.
    Oh brother. Coming from the ideological camp which inflicted the multiculturalist cancer on society, this concern about an increasingly stratified society is rich. If you didn't want a stratified society then why did you inject the cancer into society? Public schooling back in the 30s-60s actually did have the bank president's son attending school alongside the bank janitor's daughter. There was a high level of social cohesion and schools were great for bridging the class-gap. Go and check how many private schools currently exist in North Dakota, one of our least diverse states. Here's the list of all North Dakota high schools. Here are the 4 Catholic and 2 Lutheran High Schools in the state.

  8. #238
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    So, you are taking a small sample of a large group, and painting them all to look like fringe religious fanatics?
    the way i have 'heard' his presentations, the homeschooled children of fringe/religious parents tend not to have an opportunity to explore anything outside of that fringe ideology primarily because they have been homeschooled. had they been in public school, they may have been able to view other perspectives, causing them to question the fringe ideology they were exposed to at home
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #239
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Oh brother. Coming from the ideological camp which inflicted the multiculturalist cancer on society, this concern about an increasingly stratified society is rich. If you didn't want a stratified society then why did you inject the cancer into society? Public schooling back in the 30s-60s actually did have the bank president's son attending school alongside the bank janitor's daughter. There was a high level of social cohesion and schools were great for bridging the class-gap. Go and check how many private schools currently exist in North Dakota, one of our least diverse states. Here's the list of all North Dakota high schools. Here are the 4 Catholic and 2 Lutheran High Schools in the state.
    yours was not my observation as a student in the 50's and 60's
    the absence of such 'cohesion' was due to the black kids being required to receive inferior teaching in an inferior facility
    that's where the bank president's janitor's kids were taught
    multiculturalism is one of the things that makes our nation great. it is hardly a cancer. we need more of it
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #240
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Homeschooling

    Every time I start to have a little hope for the human race, along comes someone to remind me there are still racist out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yours was not my observation as a student in the 50's and 60's
    the absence of such 'cohesion' was due to the black kids being required to receive inferior teaching in an inferior facility
    that's where the bank president's janitor's kids were taught
    multiculturalism is one of the things that makes our nation great. it is hardly a cancer. we need more of it
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •