View Poll Results: Homeschooling

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I homeschool

    6 8.22%
  • No, I don't homeschool

    24 32.88%
  • Yes, it's a viable option

    49 67.12%
  • No, it's a dumb idea

    15 20.55%
  • I don't care

    7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 249

Thread: Homeschooling[W:199]

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You're welcome. 99% of the home schooled people I've interacted with online were home schooled because of religious and/or extreme ideological reasons (but yeah, mostly religious). If that entertains you then I hope you stocked up on extra popcorn.
    Is there necessarily a problem with that?

    It's hardly like our public educational system is "agenda free" either.

  2. #12
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Homeschooling

    Both my boys were in public schools for the majority of their school years. My wife and I were heavily involved in all their schools and were known to their teachers very well. We were PTO officers and were usually co-President. We had a few lefty nutbag teachers (before you Dems jump, read the last paragraph in this post), but our kids weren't in their classes very long - except for one, because after a short but effectual meeting with me and the Principal one afternoon he decided to stick to the curriculum and stop the ideological banter.

    I've known a number of boys (I was their Scoutmaster) that were home schooled. Some did great. Their parents were intellectually capable of providing an invigorating and intellectually challenging curriculum for them. Some on the other hand didn't do so great. The biggest drawback I saw with home schooled boys (can't speak to girls since I didn't interact with any) was their lack of interrelationship and social skills with other kids. This was one of the reasons their parents got them involved in Scouting, which is a great place for boys to learn these skills, as well as leadership and many other skills.

    I support the public school system. I also support vouchers so that kids that are stuck in a bad school system have the option to choose another option. I also support home schooling, if that's what the parents want.

    To me, the choice is that of the parents. The resulting education is what matters. If a parent feels that they can provide as good or better an education for their child at home, then they should have the right to do so.

    As for me and my wife, we felt that teaching was the responsibility of the parent, by using all the tools available to us for our children. Some of those tools were very good teachers in the public school system, with extracurricular group activities that were not available in home schooling or even some private schools.

    We tried private schools at first. We were not satisfied by the results after the first grade with our oldest and the same with our youngest (2.5 years apart). We found that the local elementary school was wonderful. The local middle school on the other hand was not, and we were able to get the boys transferred. The same was true for the local high school. We were able to get our oldest transferred and the youngest was lucky enough to get picked in the lottery for the specialty high school he wanted to attend.

    Like I said, we were involved in our boys schools on an almost daily basis. We sat down with them to do their homework. We didn't do it for them, but we sat together in the den until it was done, with us reading some book and them doing their studies.

    We believe that parents are the primary teacher, and that the teachers at school teach the basics, with the parents reinforcing and explaining for clarity and comprehension.

    That is what's missing in our public school system... Parents. Not money, but parents.

    Home schooling is fine, if the parents can provide the stimuli and interaction that a traditional school provides. Without it, your just teaching facts, without any practical application.

    We live in a diverse society. Public schools provide a way for our kids to learn to live and function effectively within that diversity.

    I do agree that in many instances, the public school systems are a breeding ground for liberal and progressive indoctrination. By having the parents involved though, like my wife and I were, that influence can be tempered and used as a teaching tool itself, by letting the child know, that there are competing ideologies and the parents have the ability, and the duty, to not only expose the child to other views, but to be there in the formidable years to help explain the truth from the ideological rhetoric - of both sides.

    And don't get me started on "Christian" schools. We tried that once... ONCE. After a teacher told my oldest son "The Devil was in his heart" because he wouldn't stop asking questions of her during class (related to the damned subject she was talking about)... and the way we found out is because he had terrifying nightmares for a week thinking the Devil was in his heart and would come out and get him in his sleep... well...
    Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, don't blame someone else, or expect others to make a change, you should stop complaining and make a different choice. Remember, the circumstances of your birth don't determine the outcome of your life.

  3. #13
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Is there necessarily a problem with that?

    It's hardly like our public educational system is "agenda free" either.
    If the result is to inculcate a hostility to evolution and critical thinking in general, and to celebrate logical fallacies and rewrite history, then yeah that's a problem.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You're welcome. 99% of the home schooled people I've interacted with online were home schooled because of religious and/or extreme ideological reasons (but yeah, mostly religious). If that entertains you then I hope you stocked up on extra popcorn.
    People home school their children for all sorts of reasons, and yes, many times those reasons revolve around disagreeing with the curriculum. It's kind of entertaining watching people act like what they want to teach children is somehow superior to what someone else wants to teach their children. I suppose that is what happens when government gets involved in education though.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If the result is to inculcate a hostility to evolution and critical thinking in general, and to celebrate logical fallacies and rewrite history, then yeah that's a problem.
    You mean besides the fact that public schools are known to twist scientific and historical facts?

  6. #16
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    People home school their children for all sorts of reasons, and yes, many times those reasons revolve around disagreeing with the curriculum. It's kind of entertaining watching people act like what they want to teach children is somehow superior to what someone else wants to teach their children. I suppose that is what happens when government gets involved in education though.
    There are of course legitimately awful schools that I can perfectly accept as being worse than being home schooled, but that's not the motivation I see to any statistically relevant degree. The motivation is almost always religious in nature, and yes, teaching science is superior to teaching evolution. Shielding children from critical thinking for the first eighteen years of their lives merely results in an eighteen year old idiot being thrown out into the world.

  7. #17
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You mean besides the fact that public schools are known to twist scientific and historical facts?
    If you believe it comes down to evolution vs science, and you believe in the former over the latter, and you're home schooled, then your posts are a perfect demonstration of what I'm talking about.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    There are of course legitimately awful schools that I can perfectly accept as being worse than being home schooled, but that's not the motivation I see to any statistically relevant degree. The motivation is almost always religious in nature, and yes, teaching science is superior to teaching evolution. Shielding children from critical thinking for the first eighteen years of their lives merely results in an eighteen year old idiot being thrown out into the world.
    Do public schools teach critical thinking? I was unaware of that.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If the result is to inculcate a hostility to evolution and critical thinking in general, and to celebrate logical fallacies and rewrite history, then yeah that's a problem.
    First off, is evolution even really necessary?

    Sure, I believe in it. However, it's not like that belief impacts my day to day life in any way. There's no way it really could, unless I were to go into biology, paleontology, or some other related field.

    Secondly, I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Christians are less "logical" or successful in their day-to-day lives than anyone else, nor have I seen any particularly egregious attempts on their part to "rewrite history."

    They might try to skew the direction of the narrative a bit. However, literally everyone does that.

    I don't see any reason to specifically single out Christians or Homeschoolers.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 04-17-14 at 07:49 PM.

  10. #20
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Homeschooling

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Do you homeschool your children and do you think you think it's a viable option for other families?
    I did not. I think it is viable for others, though. I have no issue with the concept, but it's not the hot-button issue for me that it seems to be for some.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •