View Poll Results: Did the 47% video save President Obama from losing?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 26.23%
  • No

    37 60.66%
  • Other

    8 13.11%
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 361 to 370 of 370

Thread: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

  1. #361
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you cannot because it flies in the face of liberal dogma. I can because I deal with reality and the reality is-thousands of white men were rejected each year who had higher scores than Obama
    Nonsense. You can't because there is nothing to support your claim. And scores are only a small part of any admission process. If you look closer, you'll find whites with lower scores got in. It is factually inaccurate that scores determine admission after the initial cut off.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #362
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Nonsense. You can't because there is nothing to support your claim. And scores are only a small part of any admission process. If you look closer, you'll find whites with lower scores got in. It is factually inaccurate that scores determine admission after the initial cut off.
    we don't know what obama got. he is afraid to release his scores

    the year I applied to yale law school, the most qualified black in terms of scores was lower than 1400 white and asian applicants who were rejected. The dean of the law school-Dean Thomas-a black-admitted that if Yale only admitted people based on scores, there would have been no african americans in the class


    one prominent black law professor applied to Yale and harvard. he was accepted at one school and not the other. He called the school that rejected him and when they learned he was a black-recinded their rejection but he went to the other school and became a professor there

    I realize you probably didn't go to a top school Boo but anyone who did and was playing the law school admissions game saw black students who had vastly inferior scores getting into places like Harvard or columbia or Cornell or Duke law schools ahead of far more qualified whites and Asians



  3. #363
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    BTW if blacks don't need affirmative action why did they fight so hard to keep that system at Michigan?



  4. #364
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    we don't know what obama got. he is afraid to release his scores

    the year I applied to yale law school, the most qualified black in terms of scores was lower than 1400 white and asian applicants who were rejected. The dean of the law school-Dean Thomas-a black-admitted that if Yale only admitted people based on scores, there would have been no african americans in the class


    one prominent black law professor applied to Yale and harvard. he was accepted at one school and not the other. He called the school that rejected him and when they learned he was a black-recinded their rejection but he went to the other school and became a professor there

    I realize you probably didn't go to a top school Boo but anyone who did and was playing the law school admissions game saw black students who had vastly inferior scores getting into places like Harvard or columbia or Cornell or Duke law schools ahead of far more qualified whites and Asians
    Again, supposition doesn't replace valid evidence. Nor does lame efforts at insult replace evidence. And what you think saw is likely influenced by your world view and not factual information.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #365
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    BTW if blacks don't need affirmative action why did they fight so hard to keep that system at Michigan?
    I believed the school fought for it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #366
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I believed the school fought for it.
    Here, read this and get back to me

    who was the respondent


    and who filed amicus briefs on behalf of the racist affirmative action system

    you can find out as I did

    Note, the school is not the respondent (i.e. the side wanting affirmative action)

    Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action : SCOTUSblog



  7. #367
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Here, read this and get back to me

    who was the respondent


    and who filed amicus briefs on behalf of the racist affirmative action system

    you can find out as I did

    Note, the school is not the respondent (i.e. the side wanting affirmative action)

    Schuette v. Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action : SCOTUSblog
    Well, you get a point there. But don't think this settles what schools want.





    I, along with others at the University of Michigan, made two decisions at this point. The first was that we would mount a full and comprehensive case supporting Justice Powell's constitutional thesis in Bakke - namely, that racial and ethnic diversity are critically important to a modern education for all students - and that we would show that our undergraduate and law school admissions practices were entirely consistent with that constitutional norm.

    (Snip)

    The last myth is that this policy, well-intentioned and even important as it is, materially diminishes the likelihood of a white student being admitted, and is therefore unfair. This notion that enormous numbers of whites are being denied admission because of the preferential treatment of under-represented minorities is simply false. In fact, admissions policies such as Michigan's do not meaningfully affect a white student's chances of admission.

    Seven Myths about Affirmative Action in Universities | Columbia University in the City of New York

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #368
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,809

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, you get a point there. But don't think this settles what schools want.





    I, along with others at the University of Michigan, made two decisions at this point. The first was that we would mount a full and comprehensive case supporting Justice Powell's constitutional thesis in Bakke - namely, that racial and ethnic diversity are critically important to a modern education for all students - and that we would show that our undergraduate and law school admissions practices were entirely consistent with that constitutional norm.

    (Snip)

    The last myth is that this policy, well-intentioned and even important as it is, materially diminishes the likelihood of a white student being admitted, and is therefore unfair. This notion that enormous numbers of whites are being denied admission because of the preferential treatment of under-represented minorities is simply false. In fact, admissions policies such as Michigan's do not meaningfully affect a white student's chances of admission.

    Seven Myths about Affirmative Action in Universities | Columbia University in the City of New York
    of course some schools want the leeway to admit less qualified black students in because if you get rid of affirmative action, in competitive environments (like the engineering department at Purdue) you aren't going to have many black students and in some campuses, the engineering department is going to look like the Olympic table gold tennis medal winners.

    Schools like Columbia have the absolute right to prefer blacks or legacies or jocks or chess masters with lower grades/scores over stronger applicants. Public universities do not have any right to engage in racial discrimination



  9. #369
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    of course some schools want the leeway to admit less qualified black students in because if you get rid of affirmative action, in competitive environments (like the engineering department at Purdue) you aren't going to have many black students and in some campuses, the engineering department is going to look like the Olympic table gold tennis medal winners.

    Schools like Columbia have the absolute right to prefer blacks or legacies or jocks or chess masters with lower grades/scores over stronger applicants. Public universities do not have any right to engage in racial discrimination
    Who said less qualified?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #370
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Did The 47% Video of Mitt Romney Kill His Chances of Winning?

    Yay, another Affirmative Action hijack.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •