View Poll Results: What would you do with our defense spending?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would increase defense spending.

    9 12.16%
  • I would decrease defense spending.

    50 67.57%
  • I would leave defense spending the same.

    15 20.27%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 117

Thread: What would you do with our defense spending?

  1. #81
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,940

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    I would drastically reorganize the military according to the principles of non-intervention: meaning that all military alliances and military aid with other nations are to be cancelled as well as the closure of all overseas military bases and adjust the budget accordingly.

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    It is when you need funding to actually do anything.

    Dan Brown once wrote a book that had the US's adversary describe the US military as a "Sledgehammer." Does obscene damage when it hits, but it must hit. Where that book revolved around evading the hammer, politically obstruction at home does the same thing.

    Obama's foreign policy is severely hamstrung for the simple fact that Congress is more interested in scoring political points then actually doing anything. I've said it before, but we need to eliminate gerrymandering in the name of national security.
    Sounds like a systemic problem. What do you want to propose?

  3. #83
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Sounds like a systemic problem. What do you want to propose?
    Feed the voting data into an algorithm that makes every district as competitive as possible. Some are obviously going to be strongholds, but if we can make the majority of districts battlegrounds, we'll see far more reasonable candidates arise. Then overall voting rules to make them party neutral. Thus, if two democrats or two republicans get the most votes total in a primary, they both go to the general. I don't think it's a coincidence that Perot's major showing scared the crap out of both parties to the point where they both engaged in blantant gerrymandering to secure as many stronghold districts as possible times with the gradual polarization of Congress. I do not think that Americans are as divided as the media portrays. I believe that gerrymandering taken to the extreme has favored a very small minority of people in picking candidates who do not represent the average American. It's exceptionally odd that Ross Perot is in some ways the instigating factor of many of country's problems. He didn't directly cause it, but the reaction of the two parties to his major showing did.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Feed the voting data into an algorithm that makes every district as competitive as possible. Some are obviously going to be strongholds, but if we can make the majority of districts battlegrounds, we'll see far more reasonable candidates arise. Then overall voting rules to make them party neutral. Thus, if two democrats or two republicans get the most votes total in a primary, they both go to the general. I don't think it's a coincidence that Perot's major showing scared the crap out of both parties to the point where they both engaged in blantant gerrymandering to secure as many stronghold districts as possible times with the gradual polarization of Congress. I do not think that Americans are as divided as the media portrays. I believe that gerrymandering taken to the extreme has favored a very small minority of people in picking candidates who do not represent the average American. It's exceptionally odd that Ross Perot is in some ways the instigating factor of many of country's problems. He didn't directly cause it, but the reaction of the two parties to his major showing did.
    Would you want to go whole hog and create virtual districts?

  5. #85
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Would you want to go whole hog and create virtual districts?
    What do you mean by virtual? The algorithm would work within states and redistrict basically as they do it now, just instead of making strongholds, it would destroy them and make them competitive. These are real districts, they just won't look like the old ones for the most part. Yeah, parts of the Bay Area in San Francisco are going to be solid Democrat, and parts of Texas will be solid Republican, but there are plenty of purple areas in the country that are ripe for turning into battlegrounds.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    What do you mean by virtual? The algorithm would work within states and redistrict basically as they do it now, just instead of making strongholds, it would destroy them and make them competitive. These are real districts, they just won't look like the old ones for the most part. Yeah, parts of the Bay Area in San Francisco are going to be solid Democrat, and parts of Texas will be solid Republican, but there are plenty of purple areas in the country that are ripe for turning into battlegrounds.
    Why not the population disassociated from the particular location within a state designed for optimum competition with your logarithm. Individuals would then stand in a chosen virtual district. There would be a minimum number of one color districts.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What would you do with our defense spending? Would you downsize it? Increase it? Leave it the same? Please explain each of your choices.
    I would most likely push to reduce it, along with a reduction everywhere else. It would still remain as a significant percentage of total expenses for the country.

    We have a financial problem in this country, and it's a problem that needs to be addressed in every facet of federal spending.

  8. #88
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Why not the population disassociated from the particular location within a state designed for optimum competition with your logarithm. Individuals would then stand in a chosen virtual district. There would be a minimum number of one color districts.
    I guess, but it would very hard to campaign when your voters were spread across the entire state. At least with my proposal, they're somewhat geographically together. Plus, your Congress member may have basically nothing in common with you other than living in the same state.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #89
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    248

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    I'd cut it by at LEAST 90%. we don't need the Army, the surface navy, the air force or the Marines. we can defend the US just FINE with backpack nukes, the missile subs, the spec ops guys and the Natl'guard, Ditto the spy outfits. cut them by at least 90%. close all foreign bases except the sub-support spots. We can pay all the 1 million or so troops 20k per year (untaxed) to be laid off, and still save 3/4 trillion $ per year. And not have the world hating us for being bullies. Stop ALL foreign aid, it's just wasted. Start paying as yet childless women (worldwide) 5k each to be sterilized. Fingerprinting will stop "repeaters". Overpopulation is causing most of the problems and it's completely unnecessary. She can get 2 shots into her fallopian tubes, be out of service for 2 hours, and she'll have the kind of money that changes lives in the 3rd world, (ie, get OUT of there, start a biz there, get an education there). Also, 5k is enough to entice a bunch of the worst of the air-heads in the US, too. It's be a HUGE favor to any kids the latter would have had, for sure!

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: What would you do with our defense spending?

    `
    Decrease military spending, Apply savings to health care, education and infrastructure repair.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •