View Poll Results: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Income Taxes

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 33.93%
  • No

    72 64.29%
  • I don't know

    2 1.79%
Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 603

Thread: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

  1. #51
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean.McDonnell View Post
    Well lets just acknowledge that there is a precedent for graduated income tax.

    Also, the government isn't forcing you to work

    Also, really? the government forcing people to have sex? I can understand if you are passionate on the issue we are discussing, but you might want to take a step backwards to appreciate how stupid of a statement that is. revel in it.
    My income is earned through my labor. When government takes a portion of my income and gives it to other people, the government has forced me to work on behalf of other people. I'm not really seeing a difference between labor and sex. They're both activities. People have sex for their own benefit. People go to jobs to earn money for their own benefit. I don't know anyone who voluntarily goes to work and then takes their paycheck and gives it to random strangers. Government has to step in and compel people to work for the benefit of strangers. If government can do that, then I'm not seeing any roadblock to government declaring a Male Virgin Emergency and setting out to solve that problem by compelling people to have sex for the benefit of others.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean.McDonnell View Post
    Also, the government isn't forcing you to work
    He who does not work, neither shall he eat. Lenin said that. Judging from your posts, he's a guy you can get on board with.

    Why stray from his principles?

  3. #53
    Student Sean.McDonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The "Show me your papers" state
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    236

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    My income is earned through my labor. When government takes a portion of my income and gives it to other people, the government has forced me to work on behalf of other people. I'm not really seeing a difference between labor and sex. They're both activities. People have sex for their own benefit. People go to jobs to earn money for their own benefit. I don't know anyone who voluntarily goes to work and then takes their paycheck and gives it to random strangers. Government has to step in and compel people to work for the benefit of strangers. If government can do that, then I'm not seeing any roadblock to government declaring a Male Virgin Emergency and setting out to solve that problem by compelling people to have sex for the benefit of others.
    The government takes your money, yes. It's called being a part of a community. You know how they teach you to share in kindergarten? Same basic principal.
    I have trouble understanding where people get off thinking that this is some new atrocity. Taxes have existed since the beginning of stratified civilization.

    And just stop with the sex metaphor. it's poorly constructed, slightly offensive, and in no way pertinent to the argument. Think of it this way, income tax has existed in this country since the passage of the 16th amendment (thus is completely constitutional) now please point out how forcing sex on people is constitutional?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.- Plato

  4. #54
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean.McDonnell View Post
    For the same reason some religions have tithes. The community as a whole dictates that a percentage is more fair than a set number. It is unfair that the poor pay the same amount as the rich when it is more detrimental to them to pay the fee.
    How is it unfair? Because you say so? The poor take up more governmental money by percentage than the wealthy. Why should they get away scott free?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #55
    Student Sean.McDonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The "Show me your papers" state
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    236

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    He who does not work, neither shall he eat. Lenin said that. Judging from your posts, he's a guy you can get on board with.

    Why stray from his principles?
    Because I am not a Libertarian does not mean I am a Leninist-Marxist. There is a large spectrum of political thought, not simply one-or-the-other classifications.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.- Plato

  6. #56
    Student Sean.McDonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The "Show me your papers" state
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    236

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    How is it unfair? Because you say so? The poor take up more governmental money by percentage than the wealthy. Why should they get away scott free?
    getting away scott free? do you believe the poor enjoy being poor and laugh at the rich paying taxes. Have you ever tried to put yourself in another's shoes. If you were poor would you say the same thing?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.- Plato

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean.McDonnell View Post
    Because I am not a Libertarian does not mean I am a Leninist-Marxist. There is a large spectrum of political thought, not simply one-or-the-other classifications.
    You are a hardcore statist and absolutist. Marxism-Leninism is fitting right into your wheelhouse. If you want to deny it because you're afraid of being stigmatized, go ahead.

    I just see what I see.

  8. #58
    Student Sean.McDonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The "Show me your papers" state
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    236

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    He who does not work, neither shall he eat. Lenin said that. Judging from your posts, he's a guy you can get on board with.

    Why stray from his principles?
    by the way, I am in NO WAY advocating people don't work. All I was saying was that there is no law forcing you to have a job, just like there's no law forcing sex. Although RiverDad really seems to want that law.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.- Plato

  9. #59
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean.McDonnell View Post
    The government takes your money, yes. It's called being a part of a community. You know how they teach you to share in kindergarten? Same basic principal.
    I have trouble understanding where people get off thinking that this is some new atrocity. Taxes have existed since the beginning of stratified civilization.

    And just stop with the sex metaphor. it's poorly constructed, slightly offensive, and in no way pertinent to the argument. Think of it this way, income tax has existed in this country since the passage of the 16th amendment (thus is completely constitutional) now please point out how forcing sex on people is constitutional?
    You know what's offensive? Your continual habit of rhetorical sleight of hand. People understand the need to pay taxes for roads, policing, courts, national defense, border control, and such and they object to paying taxes so that the incomes of strangers can be supplemented. So when you come off all innocent-like and point to taxes being in existence for a long time to pay for PUBLIC GOODS, then you're insulting everyone here.

    There is no reason to tax me to pay for your hemorrhoid operation. You getting your hemorrhoids fixed benefits ONLY YOU, not the community. For the government to be so intrusive as to compel people to pay for you hemorrhoid operation is the equivalent of government compelling people to have sex.

  10. #60
    Student Sean.McDonnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The "Show me your papers" state
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    236

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You are a hardcore statist and absolutist. Marxism-Leninism is fitting right into your wheelhouse. If you want to deny it because you're afraid of being stigmatized, go ahead.

    I just see what I see.
    No, ill admit i'm a socialist. I'm proud of that, but i'm not a Leninist. There's a difference, if you want to know my leanings, think Germany and England. Socialized health-care and a few other key institutions that are too important to be run by private for profit interests. In no way absolutist. That would be communism, which anyone can see is a system that does not work.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.- Plato

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •