View Poll Results: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Income Taxes

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 33.93%
  • No

    72 64.29%
  • I don't know

    2 1.79%
Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 603

Thread: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

  1. #541
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Every philosophy on the planet can be twisted to provide aid and comfort to racists. Nietzsche bore no responsibility for Hitler.
    Neither did Martin Luther, though the influence and effect his rabid anti-semitism had on majority-Lutheran Germany in the 1930's would be hard to overstate.

    What MLK was getting at is that legally allowing people to discriminate - in the eyes of racists - gives legitimacy to their actions, just as the words of Nietzsche and Martin Luther gave legitimacy to the anti-semites of 1930's Germany.

    You have to ask yourself which is more important - to protect someone's "right" to discriminate against others, or to protect someone's freedom from discrimination. You can't have both. You can either protect someone's "right" to discriminate, or you can protect someone's freedom from discrimination.

    I'd really like to hear your thoughts on that. And as soon as I figure out how to make a poll, I'm going to put that choice there.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #542
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    LOL.

    Projecting as usual.

    One big difference 'tween thee and me. I rejected any form of racism from the very beginning.

    You didn't.

    Chew on that as you picture yourself judge and jury.
    That's like someone who's never been a criminal telling a reformed felon that he - the law-abiding citizen - understands the way criminals think and live better than the felon does...

    ...and if you truly have never been racist, then just as that forever-law-abiding-citizen hasn't a clue as to the way criminals think, you haven't a clue as to the way racists think...you haven't walked a mile in their moccasins. I have. There's a LOT more psychological points I could bring up, but I'll leave it at that for now.

    You say rejected racism from the very beginning...which means you really don't understand where your beliefs would lead. You can either protect someone's "right" to discriminate, OR you can protect someone's freedom from discrimination. You can't have both.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #543
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    That's like someone who's never been a criminal telling a reformed felon that he - the law-abiding citizen - understands the way criminals think and live better than the felon does...

    ...and if you truly have never been racist, then just as that forever-law-abiding-citizen hasn't a clue as to the way criminals think, you haven't a clue as to the way racists think...you haven't walked a mile in their moccasins. I have. There's a LOT more psychological points I could bring up, but I'll leave it at that for now.

    You say rejected racism from the very beginning...which means you really don't understand where your beliefs would lead. You can either protect someone's "right" to discriminate, OR you can protect someone's freedom from discrimination. You can't have both.
    It seems you're claiming that you contain special powers to identify racists, having been one yourself.

    I realize you promote this special "awakening" as a means to stake a higher ground on the subject.

    The fact is, I don't need to be a felon to understand what a felony is, just as I don't need to have been a racist to understand what racism is.

    As to your underlined point. Of course you can have both. Perhaps some day you will learn why that is true.

  4. #544
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    It seems you're claiming that you contain special powers to identify racists, having been one yourself.

    I realize you promote this special "awakening" as a means to stake a higher ground on the subject.
    Experience is NOT a "special power". It's much like having served in the military for many years - when someone else speaks of their military service, you generally understand the wheres and whys and hows when they're talking. It's rare for someone to be able to successfully pretend for any real length of time to have been in the military when they talk to someone who's retired from the military. It happens, but it's rare.

    So it goes with racism. When someone talks, you either hear what a racist might say...or you don't. If a racist is being very careful and doesn't want to expose himself as a racist, then just as with retired military who don't want to expose themselves as retired military, then you may or may not detect it...but if you've many years of experience at being a racist, just like one who has many years of experience in the military, you start to hear or see clues, indications...and you know in your gut that this person probably (but still might not be) one. You don't judge right away...but the longer you listen to the person or see his actions, the more likely you know, no matter how hard they tried to hide it.

    The fact is, I don't need to be a felon to understand what a felony is, just as I don't need to have been a racist to understand what racism is.

    As to your underlined point. Of course you can have both. Perhaps some day you will learn why that is true.
    I didn't say you needed to be a felon to understand what a felony IS - I *said* that you, as a forever-law-abiding person, are probably NOT going to know how felons THINK as well as a felon himself does.

    And as to my underlined point, no, you can't have both. I've lived that life and you haven't. I know that to be true...and you simply don't.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  5. #545
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Experience is NOT a "special power". It's much like having served in the military for many years - when someone else speaks of their military service, you generally understand the wheres and whys and hows when they're talking. It's rare for someone to be able to successfully pretend for any real length of time to have been in the military when they talk to someone who's retired from the military. It happens, but it's rare.

    So it goes with racism. When someone talks, you either hear what a racist might say...or you don't. If a racist is being very careful and doesn't want to expose himself as a racist, then just as with retired military who don't want to expose themselves as retired military, then you may or may not detect it...but if you've many years of experience at being a racist, just like one who has many years of experience in the military, you start to hear or see clues, indications...and you know in your gut that this person probably (but still might not be) one. You don't judge right away...but the longer you listen to the person or see his actions, the more likely you know, no matter how hard they tried to hide it.



    I didn't say you needed to be a felon to understand what a felony IS - I *said* that you, as a forever-law-abiding person, are probably NOT going to know how felons THINK as well as a felon himself does.

    And as to my underlined point, no, you can't have both. I've lived that life and you haven't. I know that to be true...and you simply don't.

    Thank you for your opinion. As I have written, you are wrong. As a reformed racist, you can't possibly know how someone who has never been racist thinks, and how they perceive others. That is a fact.

    In terms of "both", you are also wrong. Again, perhaps one day you may learn why in this country, that is true.

  6. #546
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Thank you for your opinion. As I have written, you are wrong. As a reformed racist, you can't possibly know how someone who has never been racist thinks, and how they perceive others. That is a fact.

    In terms of "both", you are also wrong. Again, perhaps one day you may learn why in this country, that is true.
    And perhaps one day you may learn why people are the same all over the world, in every other country just as in this country. You may never have been racist - and note that I'm taking you at your word - but if you say, then, that I cannot know how you think since I have been racist, then that is a tacit admission on your part that you cannot know how racists think.

    Thank you for the admission.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #547
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And perhaps one day you may learn why people are the same all over the world, in every other country just as in this country. You may never have been racist - and note that I'm taking you at your word - but if you say, then, that I cannot know how you think since I have been racist, then that is a tacit admission on your part that you cannot know how racists think.

    Thank you for the admission.
    who cares? I suspect that there is no monolith for racists so your experience may or may not have any relevance to anyone else. Your posts sound like an ad for RA

    Hi my name is Glen and I AM A RACIST.

    reformed whatevers (smokers drinkers, sex addicts, porn fiends etc) are often insufferable



  8. #548
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And perhaps one day you may learn why people are the same all over the world, in every other country just as in this country. You may never have been racist - and note that I'm taking you at your word - but if you say, then, that I cannot know how you think since I have been racist, then that is a tacit admission on your part that you cannot know how racists think.

    Thank you for the admission.
    LOL

    You are right, by tacit admission I don't know how racist thinks, because it's a foreign issue to me. I've always judged a person by their character, not by any other measure. It would not be possible for anyone to steer me to any different conclusion.

    However, believing yourself to be the ultimate "racist hunter" because you've been one yourself is probably one of the more crazy self centered delusions I've seen from a Progressive in recent years.

    I can hear it now - "I know Republicans are racist, I know how racist think and I can smell them a mile away, because I was a racist once too."

    Holy crap, that's nuts!

  9. #549
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    a direct tax is stealing....

    income tax foundation 1913.......


    The incomes of couples exceeding $4,000, as well as those of single persons earning $3,000 or more, were subject to a one percent federal tax. Further, the measure provided a progressive tax structure, meaning that high income earners were required to pay at higher rates.

    It would require only a few years for the federal income tax to become the chief source of income for the government, far outdistancing tariff revenues.

    Less than 1% of the population paid federal income tax at the time.

    The act was applicable to incomes for 1913, 1914, and 1915

    $500,000 ..... 7% top marginal rate



    1942 top income tax rate...95%


    communist manifesto

    2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

  10. #550
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    LOL

    You are right, by tacit admission I don't know how racist thinks, because it's a foreign issue to me. I've always judged a person by their character, not by any other measure. It would not be possible for anyone to steer me to any different conclusion.
    If that's true, then I applaud you.

    However, believing yourself to be the ultimate "racist hunter" because you've been one yourself is probably one of the more crazy self centered delusions I've seen from a Progressive in recent years.
    "Ultimate racist hunter"? Where did I say that? Is it really so inconceivable to you that it's easy for a person with many years' experience in a particular way of life to recognize others who have lived that same way of life? Is that really so hard for you to understand?

    I can hear it now - "I know Republicans are racist, I know how racist think and I can smell them a mile away, because I was a racist once too." Holy crap, that's nuts!
    You really should stop ASSUMING, O5 - I've said many, many times that I do NOT think that most conservatives are racist...but that they DO tend to be more likely to tolerate racists.

    Please stop assuming - it doesn't help.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •