View Poll Results: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Income Taxes

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 33.93%
  • No

    72 64.29%
  • I don't know

    2 1.79%
Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 603

Thread: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

  1. #471
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Interesting.

    If being an ineffective leader, hamstrung by inexperience, and determined to use wedge issues to divide the country down race and economic lines is what you mean by "know the rest from there" then you have a point.
    Ah, I forgot - it's okay for Republican and conservative pundits and politicians to use race-baiting - and sometimes outright racist - comments on a near-weekly basis...but when we on the Left point it out, well, THAT's dividing the nation down racial lines.

    And it's okay for Republican and conservative pundits to say how lazy and worthless the poor must be - after all, if they're poor it must be because of something they did and did not do, and it certainly can't be because there's three people seeking work for every job that's available...but when we on the left point out how it was NOT the poor who caused the Great Recession and threw millions out of work, and that often there's no jobs for people to get, well, THAT's dividing the nation down economic lines.

    Good grief.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #472
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Ah, I forgot - it's okay for Republican and conservative pundits and politicians to use race-baiting - and sometimes outright racist - comments on a near-weekly basis...but when we on the Left point it out, well, THAT's dividing the nation down racial lines.

    And it's okay for Republican and conservative pundits to say how lazy and worthless the poor must be - after all, if they're poor it must be because of something they did and did not do, and it certainly can't be because there's three people seeking work for every job that's available...but when we on the left point out how it was NOT the poor who caused the Great Recession and threw millions out of work, and that often there's no jobs for people to get, well, THAT's dividing the nation down economic lines.

    Good grief.
    LOL

    "They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

    Along with this gem above from then candidate Obama, and with the JournoList race baiting offensive revealed, it's well know fact where race has fit into the Progressive plan.

  3. #473
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    No. The Bush era's tax BREAKS expired for the corporations and exorbitantly wealthy and I feel that's what this whole struggle has been about. President Obama would not continue these tax breaks for the rich and so the rich in turn, through the Republican party, have decided to oppose what our government has been trying to do to help America overall. Just like when you have religion mixed up in government and it is a conflict of interests, when the corporations are calling the shots, they are going to look out for their own interests. Not only should the tax loopholes be closed up when it comes to the ultra wealthy, there should be more regulations, like when these "shark tank" billionaires are sending jobs overseas, again, to look out for their own wealth and not the very wonderful country they live and thrive in.

  4. #474
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    No. The Bush era's tax BREAKS expired for the corporations and exorbitantly wealthy and I feel that's what this whole struggle has been about. President Obama would not continue these tax breaks for the rich and so the rich in turn, through the Republican party, have decided to oppose what our government has been trying to do to help America overall. Just like when you have religion mixed up in government and it is a conflict of interests, when the corporations are calling the shots, they are going to look out for their own interests. Not only should the tax loopholes be closed up when it comes to the ultra wealthy, there should be more regulations, like when these "shark tank" billionaires are sending jobs overseas, again, to look out for their own wealth and not the very wonderful country they live and thrive in.
    For a first post, it's evident you have been taught well. The picture you have been allowed to see is quite different from reality.

  5. #475
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,765
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    No. The Bush era's tax BREAKS expired for the corporations and exorbitantly wealthy and I feel that's what this whole struggle has been about. President Obama would not continue these tax breaks for the rich and so the rich in turn, through the Republican party, have decided to oppose what our government has been trying to do to help America overall. Just like when you have religion mixed up in government and it is a conflict of interests, when the corporations are calling the shots, they are going to look out for their own interests. Not only should the tax loopholes be closed up when it comes to the ultra wealthy, there should be more regulations, like when these "shark tank" billionaires are sending jobs overseas, again, to look out for their own wealth and not the very wonderful country they live and thrive in.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #476
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Whether they keep 22 times that or a million times that why do you care?


    Welfare was enacted in the Great Depression. And we never had riots and rebellions when it came to poor people. The fact of the matter is if a so called poor person in the US can afford to buy an Xbox then that person isnt starving. Nobody starves to death in America unless its on purpose.
    Before the New Deal kicked in, during the depression there were many malnourished, destitute people, esp in the dust bowl.


    [
    "..Although few starved, hunger and malnutrition affected many...."


    "As the devastation of the Great Depression spread throughout Detroit, increased lay-offs and financial instability among Ford Motor Company workers led to an atmosphere of despair that reached an apex in 1932. These workers were among those who marched to Ford’s River Rouge Industrial Complex in Dearborn, Michigan on March 7, 1932. This event, famously known as the Hunger March, was orchestrated by members of Detroit’s Unemployed Councils, who had been helping unemployed workers fight evictions and seek relief from charitable agencies.

    A group of 3,000 to 5,000 unemployed workers and supporters marched from Detroit to the Rouge Complex intending to give Henry Ford a list of demands, including the right to organize, relief and medical care for laid off Ford workers, and an end to racial discrimination, among other things. However, as the marchers approached the Fort Street Bridge at the Detroit city limit, peaceful demonstration met violence as the Dearborn police threw tear gas into the crowd in an attempt to end the protest. The marchers fought back, pushing the police onto the grounds of the Rouge where Dearborn police and Ford Servicemen turned fire hoses against the unarmed marchers from inside the plant gates. After marchers injured Harry Bennett, head of Ford’s Service Department, hundreds of shots were fired into the crowd killing four marchers and leaving as many as 60 wounded (a fifth man died later). In the aftermath, an inquiry was held but no one was ever charged in the killings....."
    Walter P. Reuther Library
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 04-19-14 at 10:09 PM.

  7. #477
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes


    "Shacks on the Anacostia flats, Washington, D.C. put up by the Bonus Army (World War I veterans) burning after the battle with the 1,000 soldiers accompanied by tanks and machine guns, 1932"
    Wikipedia

    "The poor congregated in cardboard shacks in so-called Hoovervilles on the edges of cities across the nation; hundreds of thousands of the unemployed roamed the country on foot and in boxcars in futile search of jobs...... Blaming Wall Street speculators, bankers, and the Hoover administration, the rumblings of discontent grew mightily in the early 1930s. By 1932, hunger marches and small riots were common throughout the nation..."
    http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroo...pwwii/depress/



    "On August 11, 1965, the “Watts Riots” erupted
    in Los Angeles. Though the start of physical
    uprising can be traced to a minor incident that day,
    in which an anglo police officer arrested a black
    man for drunk driving, the true causes are much
    deeper, yet easy to identify in hindsight: Neverending
    unemployment and poverty. After six days
    of rioting, four people lay dead, over 1,000 were
    hurt, nearly 4,000 were arrested, and property
    damage was estimated at about $40,000,000. The
    National Guard was called in to restore order.

    On December 2, 1965 The Governor's
    Commission on the Los Angeles Riots (the McCone
    Commission) issued its report, Violence in the City:
    An End or a Beginning? The report painted a
    picture of a “cycle of poverty,” hopelessness, and a
    perceived indifference by the nation’s white middle
    and upper classes....

    Other major riots followed. There were the famed riots in the Watts section of Los Angeles
    (1965) and Chicago (1966). In 1967 the country experienced 164 racial disorders in 128 cities,
    including Detroit, where 33 blacks and 10 whites died in the violence. For the first time in the
    decade, a riot had gotten so out of hand that the authorities had to call in federal troops. It took five days to restore order, and afterwards, aside from the 43 dead, 7,000 were arrested, 1,300 buildings were destroyed, and 2,700 businesses looted; damage was estimated at more than $40 million. Some 59,000 national guard and federal troops were called in to restore order in the cities in 1967, a number eclipsed by the 76,000 required the next year to quell the disorders....According to a 1969 report in the New York Times, in 1967 alone, there were almost four dozen riots and over one hundred lesser incidents of civil unrest..... The riots, the resulting deaths, and the themes of hopelessness echoed from the poor, seemed to indicate a country descending into anarchy...."
    http://olympia.osd.wednet.edu/media/...otspoverty.pdf
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 04-19-14 at 10:23 PM.

  8. #478
    User Clem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    22

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    He had a supermajority in the Senate for precisely 62 in-session days. After Scott Brown took office, the filibusters began in earnest...and you know the rest from there.
    So what are 60 in session days? 4 months? Ever hear of first 100 days? LBJ set a nice example many try to emulate, but I think Obama's the first to get zip and had the most voter help of the lot since LBJ. But okay. A little slow out of the gates. Fine. How many days, in-session or otherwise, are we up to now? And the hit parade of accomplishments include what, exactly? After MA had group retardation and sent Brown to fill Teddy's seat temporarily, he has Nancy push the insurance lobby wetdream Lieberman got through the Senate that we now call ACA / ObamaCare ... showing what 1 Ind can accomplish when they know how to friggin lead. And he pulled it off within the 62 days as you spin it.

    But maybe Joe has a larger staff than the president and could delegate some tasks. Meanwhile reforming Bush tax cuts kinda happened on it own, with Obama merely pressing to have them continue for another 2 years. (not ending Bush Tax Cuts; doubling the time they were in force) Gays in the military got some ... uh ... no interference from the Admin. Kinda had to go away on its own, too. But to Obama's credit, he didn't end DADT by urging it continue for twice as long. GITMO and all that spying on us business going okie doke, ya think? How about middle class income and that minimum wage he was going to push be raised to $11 in 2009? Wait! He paid actual lip service to it, in 2014. Seems $9 is the new golden number to get a few sentences tossed up on the teleprompter.

    With Dems so quick to be apologists for a non performer, and Reps in a twist about Web sites, is it any wonder why we have such a screwed up government?

    I cared about 3 things in 2008 ...

    - Reign in runaway healthcare cost

    - Get wages up pronto to make up for lost ground since 1980

    - Reform tax policy

    How happy should I be with Obama's 6 years in dealing with those issues?

    BTW, he and I both considered them at a crisis ... way back he was a Senator writing books and I was a marketing VP seeing Bush policies destroy our middle class.

    I'm as anxious to see Obama go as I was to see Bush go. It's a failure. History and Dems might see it differently. But the simple fact is, the Obama Administration has failed on everything he campaigned on. Everything. ACA is nothing more than a clever political play when everyone thought the Brown win ended the reform effort. I gotta admit that I enjoyed to no end the Reps dancing a jig for a couple nanoseconds and then having their jaws drop to middle earth. I rolled. But to call the Lieberman effort, which was merely hoped to influence House debate an Obama accomplishment is a stretch bordering on delusional. It was a convenient trump card, nothing more. Oh; and it reforms squat. In fact it's worse than no reform. It's no reform with people thinking we reformed something. It might add years before needed reforms are enacted.

    But I'm a Democrat for policy reasons, not because I really like the bumper stickers. To each his own.

  9. #479
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,943

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Before the New Deal kicked in, during the depression there were many malnourished, destitute people, esp in the dust bowl.

    [
    "..Although few starved, hunger and malnutrition affected many...."

    "As the devastation of the Great Depression spread throughout Detroit, increased lay-offs and financial instability among Ford Motor Company workers led to an atmosphere of despair that reached an apex in 1932. These workers were among those who marched to Ford’s River Rouge Industrial Complex in Dearborn, Michigan on March 7, 1932. This event, famously known as the Hunger March, was orchestrated by members of Detroit’s Unemployed Councils, who had been helping unemployed workers fight evictions and seek relief from charitable agencies.

    A group of 3,000 to 5,000 unemployed workers and supporters marched from Detroit to the Rouge Complex intending to give Henry Ford a list of demands, including the right to organize, relief and medical care for laid off Ford workers, and an end to racial discrimination, among other things. However, as the marchers approached the Fort Street Bridge at the Detroit city limit, peaceful demonstration met violence as the Dearborn police threw tear gas into the crowd in an attempt to end the protest. The marchers fought back, pushing the police onto the grounds of the Rouge where Dearborn police and Ford Servicemen turned fire hoses against the unarmed marchers from inside the plant gates. After marchers injured Harry Bennett, head of Ford’s Service Department, hundreds of shots were fired into the crowd killing four marchers and leaving as many as 60 wounded (a fifth man died later). In the aftermath, an inquiry was held but no one was ever charged in the killings....."
    Walter P. Reuther Library
    Appeal to emotion fallacy. Show me some news links that many people starved to death please.

    "Shacks on the Anacostia flats, Washington, D.C. put up by the Bonus Army (World War I veterans) burning after the battle with the 1,000 soldiers accompanied by tanks and machine guns, 1932"
    Wikipedia
    The Bonus Army marched in protest because they were owed money for their service certificates.

    "On August 11, 1965, the “Watts Riots” erupted
    in Los Angeles. Though the start of physical
    uprising can be traced to a minor incident that day,
    in which an anglo police officer arrested a black
    man for drunk driving, the true causes are much
    deeper, yet easy to identify in hindsight: Neverending
    unemployment and poverty. After six days
    of rioting, four people lay dead, over 1,000 were
    hurt, nearly 4,000 were arrested, and property
    damage was estimated at about $40,000,000. The
    National Guard was called in to restore order.
    Everybody knows the Watts riots was about race and discrimination, just like the Rodney King riots. Apples and oranges.

  10. #480
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    No. The Bush era's tax BREAKS expired for the corporations and exorbitantly wealthy and I feel that's what this whole struggle has been about. President Obama would not continue these tax breaks for the rich and so the rich in turn, through the Republican party, have decided to oppose what our government has been trying to do to help America overall. Just like when you have religion mixed up in government and it is a conflict of interests, when the corporations are calling the shots, they are going to look out for their own interests. Not only should the tax loopholes be closed up when it comes to the ultra wealthy, there should be more regulations, like when these "shark tank" billionaires are sending jobs overseas, again, to look out for their own wealth and not the very wonderful country they live and thrive in.
    that is moronic. at what point does the top rate start?



Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •