View Poll Results: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Income Taxes

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 33.93%
  • No

    72 64.29%
  • I don't know

    2 1.79%
Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 603

Thread: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

  1. #261
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    "Should" is a morally elusive concept.

    As far as I'm concerned, the rich can have as much money as they can make until it starts causing socio-economic dysfunction and becomes self defeating.
    Then we should stop importing poor people and most of the problems will go away.

  2. #262
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    My father was the CFO of a Fortune 50 company. I know what he made - it was a lot. I know how hard he worked - it was a lot more than I do.

    $500,000 a year isn't really that much money. What should a payroll clerk in a company make if the CEO is only making $500,000? Half of that?
    There is nobody that works harder, intellectually, than my dad... a top scientist, and he makes a couple hundred K a year. He also is probably much more important to the nation that your dad... why would your dad deserve more money?

    ... and anybody that says that 500K isn't a lot of money has no idea what they are talking about... no offense. I make just under 100K and my life is just fine and dandy. Making over 5x's that amount is a lot of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #263
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    The glue in your argument is that when one uses public resources for some form of private gain, then the public deserves the right to share in that private gain.

    So, when a man meets a woman in a public park and a romance begins, then all members of the public may line up outside their bedroom and also partake of the hot kinky sex that is taking place because, after all, the only way that these two lovers could realize their passion was by first using public resources, the park, the sidewalk to walk to their car, the roads to drive to a nice restaurant, which also sits on a public street, etc.
    The imposition the state is morally entitled to make on the individual is proportionate to the importance of the service.

    Homeless men have the fewest obligations because they live mostly in the margins of society and have little to gain or lose in the country's day to day operations. A Chinese invasion or some other catastrophe is, at worst, an opportunity to loot, and at best, an opportunity for some real social climbing.

    Rich men have quite a lot to lose if the state and its protective influence disappears. Their obligations are correspondingly higher.

    So no, the general public has no right to watch the couple have sex because the couple hasn't imposed enough on common resources of society to justify such an intrusion.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    yes way too much

  5. #265
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Then we should stop importing poor people and most of the problems will go away.
    Well, it is a good start... that is for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #266
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    There is nobody that works harder, intellectually, than my dad... a top scientist, and he makes a couple hundred K a year. He also is probably much more important to the nation that your dad... why would your dad deserve more money?

    ... and anybody that says that 500K isn't a lot of money has no idea what they are talking about... no offense. I make just under 100K and my life is just fine and dandy. Making over 5x's that amount is a lot of money.
    Maybe you should try harder to become more productive and not be satisfied with your current situation before you judge the income of others...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #267
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't believe you or anyone else should have that power.
    If my study of the human condition has taught me anything, its that nobody should have any power. The vast majority of human beings are greedy troublemakers.

    If someone has to have power, it should be the people who care about other people.

    Rich men have a tendency to care about themselves and their own interests, ahead of everyone and everything else. Not the best qualities for a public servant.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #268
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    You're not sure where I got the word "scared" from? Maybe you should review your own posts. Alarmist views don't fly with me, and the only ones being suppressed are those able bodied individuals being given more to not produce rather than providing an environment for them to do so...
    Now I am an alarmist? Yeah... take it easy bud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #269
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The imposition the state is morally entitled to make on the individual is proportionate to the importance of the service.
    You make a nice case for the rich being granted more voting power than the poor.

  10. #270
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Now I am an alarmist? Yeah... take it easy bud.
    Dick, I'm not your bud...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 27 of 61 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •