View Poll Results: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Income Taxes

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 33.93%
  • No

    72 64.29%
  • I don't know

    2 1.79%
Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 603

Thread: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

  1. #241
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Good evening pg, good to see you're still here. What has been created is a situation where if people begin earning more income (e.g. productive output) the effective tax burden created by lost government benefits destroys any incentive to do so. Therefore, we now have a self-perpetuating situation where it becomes as beneficial to not achieve to the best of one's potential unless that potential outweighs lost government benefits, which most will not know, or care, that they are capable of doing so...
    : I've never been in that position, but encouraging slothfulness can't be the best route we can take as a country, can it? What will happen when everyone is expected to carry their own share if they expect to survive, and they won't know how?

  2. #242
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    : I've never been in that position, but encouraging slothfulness can't be the best route we can take as a country, can it? What will happen when everyone is expected to carry their own share if they expect to survive, and they won't know how?
    No, it's never the best route, but it is one neither party will destroy. They will just manipulate it differently...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #243
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,074

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    again you have failed miserably. you claim that failure to calculate means a falsehood that is bogus. we can charge everyone equally for the cost of citizenship. Country clubs do that. you pay say 10K a year in dues whether you come 18 times a month or once a month. Other charges are a la carte such as drinks and meals

    so everyone pays a flat fee for citizenship That is truly fair. ability to pay has little relevance in other transactions. You pay the same for a car as I do even if a 50K car might be half your yearly salary but might be what I make in 2 weeks
    That proposal violates completely the very principle you claim you support - every citizen should pay for the benefits they receive. Why would you say one thing and then advocate a system that does the complete opposite?

    btw - America IS NOT a country club and there are no fees or dues for citizenship.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #244
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,948
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    See post #236
    So what?
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #245
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Are you serious?

    Making your OWN money makes the state a dependent by default? Hell, why not just rob everyone's paycheck and just trust the "state" to do the right thing?

    I can't believe so many people think liberty is a sin.
    Opportunities to create wealth draw on common resources. Public space and services and private goods whose quality and protection are ensured by the state.

    "Making your own money" is an oxymoron. The enforcement of the laws makes an individual's money as much as any effort they put into it.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 04-16-14 at 10:06 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #246
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    You're wrong, the very top .1% make billions per year.

    And why, exactly, are your panties twisting into a knot about that fact?

  7. #247
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That proposal violates completely the very principle you claim you support - every citizen should pay for the benefits they receive. Why would you say one thing and then advocate a system that does the complete opposite?

    btw - America IS NOT a country club and there are no fees or dues for citizenship.
    there should be. there shouldn't be representation without taxation. people who don't contribute to the public treasury shouldn't be voting how it is spent



  8. #248
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,774

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    And why, exactly, are your panties twisting into a knot about that fact?
    oftentimes its because those with the knotted knickers believe they are smarter and more worthy than the wealthy and if they cannot be rich, those who are, shouldn't be



  9. #249
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Opportunities to create wealth draw on common resources. Public space and services and private goods whose quality and protection are ensured by the state.

    "Making your own money" is an oxymoron. The enforcement of the laws makes an individual's money as much as any effort they put into it.
    The glue in your argument is that when one uses public resources for some form of private gain, then the public deserves the right to share in that private gain.

    So, when a man meets a woman in a public park and a romance begins, then all members of the public may line up outside their bedroom and also partake of the hot kinky sex that is taking place because, after all, the only way that these two lovers could realize their passion was by first using public resources, the park, the sidewalk to walk to their car, the roads to drive to a nice restaurant, which also sits on a public street, etc.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,102

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    How much is too much in your world? I was never scared by someone else having more than me when growing up...
    My world is THE world. I am not sure where you get scared from... maybe supressed anxiety for opposing ideas?

    So I am scared... a Marxist... what's next? This is getting good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •