View Poll Results: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Income Taxes

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 33.93%
  • No

    72 64.29%
  • I don't know

    2 1.79%
Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 603

Thread: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

  1. #231
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, AP. Good to see you!

    In today's world, anger and envy have replaced fear in those who have been encouraged to feel they are being shortchanged if they don't have what others have - and we now have an entitlement society who constantly expects more and more to be content. I guess that when nobody has much of anything, they will finally be happy? I doubt it, but who knows.
    Good evening pg, good to see you're still here. What has been created is a situation where if people begin earning more income (e.g. productive output) the effective tax burden created by lost government benefits destroys any incentive to do so. Therefore, we now have a self-perpetuating situation where it becomes as beneficial to not achieve to the best of one's potential unless that potential outweighs lost government benefits, which most will not know, or care, that they are capable of doing so...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #232
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    The Case Against Higher Taxes - Ross Douthat, New York Times
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  3. #233
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    My father was the CFO of a Fortune 50 company. I know what he made - it was a lot. I know how hard he worked - it was a lot more than I do.

    $500,000 a year isn't really that much money. What should a payroll clerk in a company make if the CEO is only making $500,000? Half of that?
    Maybe I missed it, but I have yet to see anyone come up with an explanation of what is considered "fair." I don't feel a payroll clerk is ever worth half of what a CEO is paid! Most companies compete with each other to gain and retain good employees, and wages and benefits are a large part of that decision. Everyone is not equal in talent or schooling, or work ethic, and usually the best make more, or they leave for a better opportunity. That's life, whether some like it or not!

    Greetings, tres borrachos.

  4. #234
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

    National Taxpayers UnionTax Basics‎National Taxpayers Union


    ... Who Pays Income Taxes? Are You Paying Too Much in Taxes? Taxes ... Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid. Top 1%. $343,927. 36.73. Top 5%.

    The wealthy pay at least their fair share.

    Tax Year 2009
    Percentiles Ranked by AGI
    AGI Threshold on Percentiles
    Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid
    Top 1%
    $343,927
    36.73
    Top 5%
    $154,643
    58.66
    Top 10%
    $112,124
    70.47
    Top 25%
    $66,193
    87.30
    Top 50%
    $32,396
    97.75
    Bottom 50%
    <$32,396
    2.25
    Note: AGI is Adjusted Gross Income
    Source: Internal Revenue Service
    Breaking the tax roles by percentages is very misleading.


  5. #235
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Breaking the tax roles by percentages is very misleading.
    It's not misleading at all, just a consequence of taxing income and believing it will ever be considered "fair"...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #236
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    It's not misleading at all, just a consequence of taxing income and believing it will ever be considered "fair"...
    You're wrong, the very top .1% make billions per year.


  7. #237
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Breaking the tax roles by percentages is very misleading.
    I assume tax rolls was intended. I don't see what's misleading about showing the wealthy pay at least their fair share.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #238
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I assume tax rolls was intended. I don't see what's misleading about showing the wealthy pay at least their fair share.
    See post #236


  9. #239
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    You're wrong, the very top .1% make billions per year.
    So? What's your point? If they made less the taxes collected would be less...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #240
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Do The Rich Pay Too Much Federal Income Taxes

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The falsehood is that paying ones taxes has a direct and equal relationship with the personal benefits one receives from those same taxes. Such a system is simply impossible in the real world to institute as there is simply no way such a calculation could be made for 315 million people. But feel free to show I am wrong and show us how those calculations would be made.

    In previous discussions we have had on this same subject, you are not even able to show us how much one person should pay based on the so called benefit they reap let alone 315 million.

    An opinion based on a falsehood and an impossibility is still an opinion in error.
    again you have failed miserably. you claim that failure to calculate means a falsehood that is bogus. we can charge everyone equally for the cost of citizenship. Country clubs do that. you pay say 10K a year in dues whether you come 18 times a month or once a month. Other charges are a la carte such as drinks and meals

    so everyone pays a flat fee for citizenship That is truly fair. ability to pay has little relevance in other transactions. You pay the same for a car as I do even if a 50K car might be half your yearly salary but might be what I make in 2 weeks



Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •