View Poll Results: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a great service for the populace.

    3 25.00%
  • Yes, but only select branches.

    2 16.67%
  • Phfft! No, of course not.

    6 50.00%
  • Other.

    1 8.33%
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Should the Post Office keep any branches open late on April 15th (tax day) to accommodate last-minute people? Or, should they treat it like any other day and close at their normal time?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Why is this worth debating?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #3
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why is this worth debating?
    Why did you spend time to ask that question?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #4
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Considering the number of people who file electronically now, perhaps a few should stay open late in high density population areas, but other than that, I don't see an overwhelming need.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  5. #5
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Considering the number of people who file electronically now, perhaps a few should stay open late in high density population areas, but other than that, I don't see an overwhelming need.
    The numbers of branches staying open late are getting less, and probably, at least partially, for that reason.

    I've always questioned the need, though. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but for the most part I think all they're doing is enabling procrastinators... and I say this as a procrastinator. Tax Day is like Christmas and your mother's birthday, it's the same day on the calendar every year. It doesn't sneak up on you.

    I don't have a source for this, but I have been told that many years ago the deadline was March 15th, and many people filed last-minute, so they pushed it back to April 15th, and the same people didn't file until April 15th. Hence, my thought that it's just catering to procrastinators. I believe that if you allow midnight, they'll scoot in at 11:45pm, and that if you tell them normal closing time at 5pm, they'll scoot in at 4:45pm.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why did you spend time to ask that question?
    Because you didn't explain.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The numbers of branches staying open late are getting less, and probably, at least partially, for that reason.

    I've always questioned the need, though. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but for the most part I think all they're doing is enabling procrastinators... and I say this as a procrastinator. Tax Day is like Christmas and your mother's birthday, it's the same day on the calendar every year. It doesn't sneak up on you.

    I don't have a source for this, but I have been told that many years ago the deadline was March 15th, and many people filed last-minute, so they pushed it back to April 15th, and the same people didn't file until April 15th. Hence, my thought that it's just catering to procrastinators. I believe that if you allow midnight, they'll scoot in at 11:45pm, and that if you tell them normal closing time at 5pm, they'll scoot in at 4:45pm.
    I won't argue that a great number are procrastinators, but as the tax code has gotten more and more complicated, those that do their own taxes are having a harder and harder time of it.

    What's getting on my last nerve is the sheer number of business taxes due within the first 105 days of the year, in addition to trying to due your personal taxes. Several states have recently changed their filing dates to fall within that span also, in addition to all the other filings required by State and Federal. /rant
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  8. #8
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    That'd be a nice thing to do, I suppose.
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

  9. #9
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    No, it shouldn't. It's not like April 15 sneaks up on people. In fact, as of today, every thinking American who has to file a tax return should be able to mark it on his/her calendar that his/her tax returns are due 365 days from today. No reason to keep them open late, especially if it costs money.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,947
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Should the Post Office stay open late on April 15th (tax day)?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should the Post Office keep any branches open late on April 15th (tax day) to accommodate last-minute people? Or, should they treat it like any other day and close at their normal time?
    There is always a designated post office around my area that stays open until midnight on the 15th. Usually the Hapeville branch.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •