View Poll Results: Is there a double standard with how domestic violence is viewed?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 93.75%
  • No

    2 6.25%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Double Standard?

  1. #1
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,769

    Double Standard?

    Is there a double standard regarding violence against men, from women?

    Man assaults woman. Bad. And it should be...

    Woman assaults man. Funny. And it shouldn't be...

    Just look at Jerry McGuire. He breaks up with girlfriend and she beats him up. Comedy.

    Cops don't arrest women who assault a man in domestic situations.

    27% of the time the man struck the first blow; in 24% of cases, the woman initiated the violence. The rest of the time, the violence was mutual, with both partners brawling.

    Domestic violence against men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Physical Violence in American Families, 1976 - Murray Arnold Straus, Richard J. Gelles - Google Books
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Double Standard?

    There is.

    Had a case near to where I live where a man was basicaly laughted at by the police and the village when he repeatedly reported that his wife was assaulting him.

    And one day his wife smashed his head in with a hammer... at which point nobody laughted anymore.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Double Standard?

    Well, I think it has a lot to do with the seriousness of the threat. Generally, men are much bigger and stronger than women.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Double Standard?

    Absolutely, and one of many reasons I don't identify as a feminist.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Is there a double standard regarding violence against men, from women?

    Man assaults woman. Bad. And it should be...

    Woman assaults man. Funny. And it shouldn't be...

    Just look at Jerry McGuire. He breaks up with girlfriend and she beats him up. Comedy.

    Cops don't arrest women who assault a man in domestic situations.

    27% of the time the man struck the first blow; in 24% of cases, the woman initiated the violence. The rest of the time, the violence was mutual, with both partners brawling.

    Domestic violence against men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Physical Violence in American Families, 1976 - Murray Arnold Straus, Richard J. Gelles - Google Books
    You can say that the way outsiders view the situation is slanted to be funny when men are abused and to be tragic when women are abused. To be fair, law enforcement officers are not outsiders. They have to analyze the situation and consider the specifics of the case. They don't operate with vague generalities. If the husband is a 350 pound body builder who get's beat up by his 110 pound anorexic girlfriend, I don't think she will be hauled off to jail. He is free to laugh it off as a cute thing. If the wife is a 350 pound muscle lady and beats up on her 110 pound sickly husband then I am sure she is going to jail for domestic assault.

    It's a case by case basis. If we are going to operate in the big picture by using generalities then yes. Logic would dictate that woman on man violence is laughable because most men are stronger and larger than women.

    This really isn't a problem like you are making it out to be.

  6. #6
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Absolutely, and one of many reasons I don't identify as a feminist.
    Are feminists in the habit of condoning domestic violence? In my personal experience, it's men who are more likely to scoff at the notion of a man being abused by a female partner and cast it aside as a sign of weakness. Unfortunate really.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Are feminists in the habit of condoning domestic violence? In my personal experience, it's men who are more likely to scoff at the notion of a man being abused by a female partner and cast it aside as a sign of weakness. Unfortunate really.
    Men are bad for that, but alot of feminists view that as an attack on womens' rights. "Women should have the benefit of the doubt in any situation." I just have a personal issue with modern feminism. I think feminists have an awful double standard, and modern feminism is more about superiority than equal rights.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Men are bad for that, but alot of feminists view that as an attack on womens' rights. "Women should have the benefit of the doubt in any situation." I just have a personal issue with modern feminism. I think feminists have an awful double standard, and modern feminism is more about superiority than equal rights.
    Yeah, none of that is true.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #9
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,480

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Is there a double standard regarding violence against men, from women?

    Man assaults woman. Bad. And it should be...

    Woman assaults man. Funny. And it shouldn't be...

    Just look at Jerry McGuire. He breaks up with girlfriend and she beats him up. Comedy.

    Cops don't arrest women who assault a man in domestic situations.

    27% of the time the man struck the first blow; in 24% of cases, the woman initiated the violence. The rest of the time, the violence was mutual, with both partners brawling.

    Domestic violence against men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Physical Violence in American Families, 1976 - Murray Arnold Straus, Richard J. Gelles - Google Books
    Interesting proposition, but there's much more updated information. "Gender symmetry violence" is the term used to describe all of the statistical relationships regard violence between so-called "Intimate Partners Violence".

    Curious, Bod...why is the topic in the forefront of your mind?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yeah, none of that is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    modern feminism is more about superiority than equal rights.
    That's awesome. I look forward to seeing a society that operates in that fashion. Are there any historical examples where this was attempted?

    This is something that I would love to read about. I hear that the Corinthian Church discussed in the Bible lived in a society where women had dominant roles. I have also heard about the Amazons. It is widely argued that this was a ficticious society that never really existed. If either of you know of a time period and/or nation where women superiority was practiced I would love to know about it. This is something that I find fascinating and disappointing that it hasn't been attempted more often.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •