View Poll Results: Is there a double standard with how domestic violence is viewed?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 93.75%
  • No

    2 6.25%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Double Standard?

  1. #21
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Is there a double standard regarding violence against men, from women?

    Man assaults woman. Bad. And it should be...

    Woman assaults man. Funny. And it shouldn't be...

    Just look at Jerry McGuire. He breaks up with girlfriend and she beats him up. Comedy.

    Cops don't arrest women who assault a man in domestic situations.
    So is the problem the act of assault or how much damage you do?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  2. #22
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,802

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    So is the problem the act of assault or how much damage you do?
    To me it is the assault... the intent. That should be what the law is about to. When my wife went to attack me she meant to hurt me. Just because I was better at martial arts than she was shouldn't excuse the assault. I regret not demanding that charges be filed against her but that is what happens to most men. Cops show up, don't want to arrest the female and kinda talk the guy out of it... guy feels like, "well, she is just a woman and I can take it" and lets it go... even if she is arrested the courts go easier on her than a man. I don't know... just a sexist system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #23
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    To me it is the assault... the intent. That should be what the law is about to. When my wife went to attack me she meant to hurt me. Just because I was better at martial arts than she was shouldn't excuse the assault. I regret not demanding that charges be filed against her but that is what happens to most men. Cops show up, don't want to arrest the female and kinda talk the guy out of it... guy feels like, "well, she is just a woman and I can take it" and lets it go... even if she is arrested the courts go easier on her than a man. I don't know... just a sexist system.
    I actually think there is a a lot of validity to this claim and that restructuring or equalizing this is probably not a bad idea. I do think however that we have to be cautious not to leave women more vulnerable in the process.

    Do you think that men more often of the option of just walking away ? I woman probably rarely has that option but typically even if the woman did initiate a man CAN walk away rather than retaliate. It seems opening the door to giving permission to retaliate when it is not necessary is a risk.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yeah, none of that is true.
    You're right, none of it is true.

    This OP has nothing... and I mean nothing... to do with "feminism". It has to do which centuries-old societal norms that expect men to control their women, and any man who is "hen-pecked" to the point of being assaulted by a mere female is looked at with contempt and derision by... other men!

    Were the cops who laughed at the man in The German's town who complained of being assaulted by his wife feminists? No, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority if not all of them were men... men who pointed and laughed at him, men who derided him, men who insulted his masculinity instead of arresting the woman who'd committed a crime against him.

    Women are quite capable of hurting a man, usually because they pick up a weapon to even things out, be that weapon a bat, a knife, or a hammer. Even in the US, men who have been verbally abused and physically assaulted by their wives or girlfriends are treated as laughing-stocks by the male police officers to whom he turns for help. It's a serious issue that has been ignored and kicked under the carpet for ages...

    ...but it has nothing to do with feminism, and everything to do with the cult male machismo which cannot wrap its brain around the fact that some pathetic little female can actually be a threat to someone twice her size and full of testosterone.

    It's time to educate males and females that women who abuse men are just as liable for that abuse as men who abuse women. Then the justice system has to step in and make certain that actually happens.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,802

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I actually think there is a a lot of validity to this claim and that restructuring or equalizing this is probably not a bad idea. I do think however that we have to be cautious not to leave women more vulnerable in the process.

    Do you think that men more often of the option of just walking away ? I woman probably rarely has that option but typically even if the woman did initiate a man CAN walk away rather than retaliate. It seems opening the door to giving permission to retaliate when it is not necessary is a risk.
    Nothing about retaliation... if you are assaulted then you are assaulted. The cops should treat it the same unless it falls into a new category... like aggravated assault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,802

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    You're right, none of it is true.

    This OP has nothing... and I mean nothing... to do with "feminism". It has to do which centuries-old societal norms that expect men to control their women, and any man who is "hen-pecked" to the point of being assaulted by a mere female is looked at with contempt and derision by... other men!

    Were the cops who laughed at the man in The German's town who complained of being assaulted by his wife feminists? No, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority if not all of them were men... men who pointed and laughed at him, men who derided him, men who insulted his masculinity instead of arresting the woman who'd committed a crime against him.

    Women are quite capable of hurting a man, usually because they pick up a weapon to even things out, be that weapon a bat, a knife, or a hammer. Even in the US, men who have been verbally abused and physically assaulted by their wives or girlfriends are treated as laughing-stocks by the male police officers to whom he turns for help. It's a serious issue that has been ignored and kicked under the carpet for ages...

    ...but it has nothing to do with feminism, and everything to do with the cult male machismo which cannot wrap its brain around the fact that some pathetic little female can actually be a threat to someone twice her size and full of testosterone.

    It's time to educate males and females that women who abuse men are just as liable for that abuse as men who abuse women. Then the justice system has to step in and make certain that actually happens.
    I stated that 86% of women that assault the man use a weapon so the damage is often quite severe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #27
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Is there a double standard regarding violence against men, from women?

    Man assaults woman. Bad. And it should be...

    Woman assaults man. Funny. And it shouldn't be...

    Just look at Jerry McGuire. He breaks up with girlfriend and she beats him up. Comedy.

    Cops don't arrest women who assault a man in domestic situations.

    27% of the time the man struck the first blow; in 24% of cases, the woman initiated the violence. The rest of the time, the violence was mutual, with both partners brawling.

    Domestic violence against men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Physical Violence in American Families, 1976 - Murray Arnold Straus, Richard J. Gelles - Google Books
    Yes there is.


  8. #28
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,802

    Re: Double Standard?

    Did the clown state why he didn't think there was a double standard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Double Standard?

    Many police departments have taken to arresting both parties then letting others sort it out later. That's just as brain dead as so-called "zero tolerance" policies in that it allows the people who are supposed to be assessing the situation and making decisions accordingly to completely skip all responsibility.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Double Standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    You're right, none of it is true.

    This OP has nothing... and I mean nothing... to do with "feminism". It has to do which centuries-old societal norms that expect men to control their women, and any man who is "hen-pecked" to the point of being assaulted by a mere female is looked at with contempt and derision by... other men!

    Were the cops who laughed at the man in The German's town who complained of being assaulted by his wife feminists? No, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority if not all of them were men... men who pointed and laughed at him, men who derided him, men who insulted his masculinity instead of arresting the woman who'd committed a crime against him.

    Women are quite capable of hurting a man, usually because they pick up a weapon to even things out, be that weapon a bat, a knife, or a hammer. Even in the US, men who have been verbally abused and physically assaulted by their wives or girlfriends are treated as laughing-stocks by the male police officers to whom he turns for help. It's a serious issue that has been ignored and kicked under the carpet for ages...

    ...but it has nothing to do with feminism, and everything to do with the cult male machismo which cannot wrap its brain around the fact that some pathetic little female can actually be a threat to someone twice her size and full of testosterone.

    It's time to educate males and females that women who abuse men are just as liable for that abuse as men who abuse women. Then the justice system has to step in and make certain that actually happens.
    I agree with this.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •