View Poll Results: Will the Russian deCoupling from the Petrodollar hurt the US economy?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    14 45.16%
  • NO!

    17 54.84%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 87

Thread: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

  1. #11
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Russia is once again playing the charade game that the Soviet Union attempted to play in the waning years of their dominance. Russia and China have worked for years to balance the US influence in the world (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), and to some degree have. But this is not due to their tangible power. Both Russia and China have very shaky economies, held together in the case of Russia by oil and gas sales. Thus, Russia is simply a larger Iran. Cut-off the oil and gas money and they will collapse.

    That being said, the US needs to get a clear foreign policy in place. Obama has been focused on fighting terror but horrible in defining an overall foreign policy agenda. The US needs to begin leading again and standing up for the rights of humanity, placing aside reactionary responses and end the coupling of foreign action/intervention to economic gains. We have been weighing economic gains of every action for too long. Sometimes a nation needs to act on whats right regardless if there is a profit to be made.

  2. #12
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    More lies. It was the Russian installed President that pilfered off billions and caused the internal chaos. When the Parliament VOTED to remove him as an emergency matter, the traitor fled to Russia to organization Russian takeover of Crimea.

    Your messages are dependent upon the most grotesque of lies. Russia is NOT in the black. Killing and deporting non-whites is not "justice," and I already posted the link and even started a thread on the massive volumes of natural gas, resources and agriculture Russia stolen in its military conquest of Crimea.

    Russia's debt: 7+ trillion

    Russia Debt Clock :: National Debt of Russia

    Post more lies in your fantasyland of a rebirth of Stain's empire.

    The USA could crush Russia economically if we had a half competent president.

    Post more of your praises of Putin's condemnations and laws against LGTBs and his promising to deport Tartar Muslims from Crimea on behalf of your goal of a pure white heterosexual run communist world.

    I'm surprised your rascist views are tolerated on this board.

  3. #13
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Pure unadulterated rubbish.

    "Russia" never had "announced" anything of the sort, and not going to: Russia is one of the prime beneficiaries of the "petrodollar" status quo. It sells hydrocarbons (extracted with staggering inefficiency), it gets hard currency for its war chest. Does anyone seriously believe it is going to switch to roubles (in a free fall since the Crimean aggression)? Hey, why not the Zimbabwean dollar? Zimbabwe was among the few (uniformly totalitarian) countries that supported Putin in the UN.

    Glazyev and other clowns over there are paid (not too much, I presume) for cheap "patriotic" posturing. Nothing more to it.

  4. #14
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Russia is once again playing the charade game that the Soviet Union attempted to play in the waning years of their dominance. Russia and China have worked for years to balance the US influence in the world (Shanghai Cooperation Organization), and to some degree have. But this is not due to their tangible power. Both Russia and China have very shaky economies, held together in the case of Russia by oil and gas sales. Thus, Russia is simply a larger Iran. Cut-off the oil and gas money and they will collapse.

    That being said, the US needs to get a clear foreign policy in place. Obama has been focused on fighting terror but horrible in defining an overall foreign policy agenda. The US needs to begin leading again and standing up for the rights of humanity, placing aside reactionary responses and end the coupling of foreign action/intervention to economic gains. We have been weighing economic gains of every action for too long. Sometimes a nation needs to act on whats right regardless if there is a profit to be made.
    I take exception to much of what you say. The USA has been leading a War of Terror against Libya, Egypt, Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Venezuela, Haiti, and who knows what other Nations. Take a good look at Libya. We fund the terrorists. Take a good look at Syria. We fund the terrorists. Take a good look at Egypt. We fund the terrorists. Take a good look at Haiti. We are the terrorists. Fer keeerise sakes, man, take off the blinders. The Military Industrial Complex needs wars, threats of war, terror to stay in business and since we are a Corporate Empire, we keep these morons in business. If you don't have a hot war, start one. If you can't find a hot war, have the Mainstream Media create a alleged "terrorist" threat and expand it until military sale are good. Hot damn, man, it's just bidness, to quote an infamous ex-President.

  5. #15
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I take exception to much of what you say. The USA has been leading a War of Terror against Libya, Egypt, Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Venezuela, Haiti, and who knows what other Nations. Take a good look at Libya. We fund the terrorists. Take a good look at Syria. We fund the terrorists. Take a good look at Egypt. We fund the terrorists. Take a good look at Haiti. We are the terrorists. Fer keeerise sakes, man, take off the blinders. The Military Industrial Complex needs wars, threats of war, terror to stay in business and since we are a Corporate Empire, we keep these morons in business. If you don't have a hot war, start one. If you can't find a hot war, have the Mainstream Media create a alleged "terrorist" threat and expand it until military sale are good. Hot damn, man, it's just bidness, to quote an infamous ex-President.
    I said in my quote that our foreign policy has been too long coupled to profit making. This leads us to act in countries where the cost of acting is lower than the cost of staying out. That is not the way the US foreign policy should operate. The US should be the beacon for human rights, democracy, and freedom around the world. In order to do this, we must balance our economy so that it works again for all Americans and the Middle Class is strengthened. Then, we represent these principles abroad and protect those interests regardless if doing so may not be profitable in the economic sense.

    With regards to what I stated about Russia, you may dispute if you wish, but the economy is that of Iran on a grander scale and if you cut-off those profits from oil and gas, the Russian economy will collapse. Putin's biggest failure is that he is living in past glories of the Soviet Union and acts in the same manner as the Soviet rulers of old. That is a failed system, and it will fail again. Thus, he is just an old man clinging to a failed ideology that will lead to the suffering of the Russian people.

  6. #16
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I don't agree with that. Putin was almost forced to make this move to prevent Central Bank manipulation of the Ruble. Nations that deal with Russia will sell US Dollars to buy Rubles to pay for Russian goods. After all is said and done, Russia is one of the World's largest exporters of oil and gas. A Trillion dollars worth per annum. Germany is one of Russia's largest customers and that is not going to change. I see the US Dollar on damn shaky footing because of our humungous debt, both funded and unfunded. The whole house of cards is kept together by one huge "Confidence" pump of alleged fiscal experts stating in Mainstream Media that they have great "confidence" going forward. They are confident in economic moves at this time. Low unemployment (manipulated) figures give us "confidence" our policies are working. Keep repeating these mantras until your confidence balloon is fully inflated and if it springs a leak, not to worry, pump more confidence, no need to fix the leak. I mean, it's all about confidence, don't you think?
    No, Russia does not export a trillion in gas and oil annually, despite the pro-Russian blog saying so. Russia broke and nearly socially collapsed.

  7. #17
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Pure unadulterated rubbish.

    "Russia" never had "announced" anything of the sort, and not going to: Russia is one of the prime beneficiaries of the "petrodollar" status quo. It sells hydrocarbons (extracted with staggering inefficiency), it gets hard currency for its war chest. Does anyone seriously believe it is going to switch to roubles (in a free fall since the Crimean aggression)? Hey, why not the Zimbabwean dollar? Zimbabwe was among the few (uniformly totalitarian) countries that supported Putin in the UN.

    Glazyev and other clowns over there are paid (not too much, I presume) for cheap "patriotic" posturing. Nothing more to it.
    The OPer worships Putin and Russia, while wanting the USA destroyed, so incessantly starts threads like this. The article is just a false Putin pump-piece.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Where's the link documenting this 10 trillion cubic feet theft. The truth is that Russia was helping Ukraine by selling Ukraine Russian gas well below World Market Prices ($268mcf). Ukraine used much of the gas domestically and re-sold the rest to the EU (Europe) at World Market prices ($500mcf) turning a very nice profit to Ukraine, and essentially a gift from Russia. Ukraine didn't pay for the gas and is $2.2 billion behind and Russia has now begun charging Ukraine World Market prices ($500mcf) for this gas. Russia is one of the World's largest exporters of Hydrocarbon fuels, oil and gas. Get your brain in gear before attacking your keyboard. Find out how the world, including the USA, really works. USA is in huge debt, in the red. Russia is operating at a huge surplus, in the black, don't ya' know. USA made a deal with the scumbag Saudis to price OIL in US Dollars , forcing all Nations to hold a surplus of US Dollars to pay for OIL imports. That created a huge false demand for US Dollars and the new Russian policy lowers that demand. It's logical the US Dollar will lose value proportionately. Long story short is that the USA should never have created this insurrection and coup d'etat in Ukraine. It's going to bite us. Big time.
    Fantastic post...you really know your stuff on this (IMO).

    What so many people seem to not realize is that the main reason America can run such gigantic deficits is the petrodollar...that oil is priced in U.S. Dollars.
    If this ends thn the U.S. Dollar as the world reserve currency will soon end...and that will spell huge price rises for many things in America (being Wmerica is a large net importer country).

    IMO, considering how little America can gain from meddling in the Ukraine...I think the Obama administration is acting foolishly and should generally mind it's own business because if these actions force Russia/China to abandon petrodollars...that can only be bad news for America.

    If Russia actually invades the Ukraine, then fine...do something then. Short of that, butt out - or at least stop with the silly threats that mean little.
    Last edited by DA60; 04-09-14 at 01:47 PM.

  9. #19
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    I would imagine that if this were actually happening it would be bigger news than just this one source.

  10. #20
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar

    Quote Originally Posted by 24107 View Post
    This standoff with Russia is going to be bad for the U.S. economy in the long run.
    Wars or sour relations tend to be, unless you are in one of a few industries

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •