View Poll Results: Does it matter Millionaire - Billionaire?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they're both too wealthy.

    6 11.76%
  • Yes, it's a big difference.

    32 62.75%
  • Don't care, got mine.

    4 7.84%
  • Peanut butter.

    9 17.65%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 164

Thread: The Wealth Gap

  1. #101
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,176

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Resources are finite but currency is not. Currency/money that most people race for is printed and can be printed infinitely.
    Yes but money is not equivalent to wealth in the literal sense. If it were, we could just print a billion dollars for every person on earth and then everybody could live happily ever after, lounging at a beach resort in the Caribbean sipping a fruity drink out of a coconut shell. We all know that's not true.

    Wealth is the collection of all material goods/resources humans possess from which humans can derive benefit. So, food, motorcycles, mouse traps, crude oil, hair scrunchies, CPUs, hypodermic needles, wedding dresses, shovels, books, skyscrapers, dildos, etc. Money is an agreed-upon representation of ownership of a certain amount of that collection of goods.

    Printing money doesn't increase wealth because it doesn't increase this collection of goods.

  2. #102
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    What to do about this flaw is what I am getting at?
    After they shoot all the billionaires and consume their money, I wonder who'll they shoot next........................year.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Wealth and success are laudable when they're earned in an honest way. If they're earned at the expense of someone else, or at the expense of the environment, then they're not so laudable at all.

    Likewise, there's no pat on the back deserved for someone who merely inherited their wealth. Generational wealth does nothing to help society and, as a matter of fact, it can be quite destructive.
    If only we had a truly progressive tax shift.

    LVT would ensure a better environment, fairer distribution, and honest earnings.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  4. #104
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I think people who demand the rich pay more are just jealous of what they achieved. I dont mind the wealth gap at all, I dont see anything wrong with it because it rewards those who work hard and are lucky as opposed to lazy people who just want something for nothing.
    You are falling for the 'vulgar libertarian' trap Kevin Carson always warns about. You assume that all wealth that is acquired is earned in a completely free, open, and voluntary market system. We have no such system.

    Vulgar libertarian apologists for capitalism use the term “free market” in an equivocal sense: they seem to have trouble remembering, from one moment to the next, whether they’re defending actually existing capitalism or free market principles. So we get [a] standard boilerplate article… arguing that the rich can’t get rich at the expense of the poor, because “that’s not how the free market works”— implicitly assuming that this is a free market. When prodded, they’ll grudgingly admit that the present system is not a free market, and that it includes a lot of state intervention on behalf of the rich. But as soon as they think they can get away with it, they go right back to defending the wealth of existing corporations on the basis of “free market principles.”
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  5. #105
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a government that would take every penny someone has past a certain amount should be overthrown
    I'd rather have that than the current income tax system we have now. If I made $9,999,999 +$1 and the government took that dollar, my freedom is not impeded the same way a 20% tax rate is on an annual income of $32,000.

    Still, I'd rather see no income tax at all and replace everything with land dues.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  6. #106
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    A billionaire has more power and control than a millionaire, who in turn has more power and control than the rest of us...
    I'm not raging against billionaires for being powerful and wealthy, or for even using their influence in an unethical way, occasionally. It's been happening since money and assets developed in civilization, and it's probably always going to happen, unless society changes. I see a problem with the ultra wealthy corporations and people who run them, being so greedy that their short sightedness is hurting the global economy. It's not the poorer classes that suddenly, with all their control and power, changed the rules.

    The government is in bed with them (bail outs, contracts, subsidies, campaign money) and have to borrow just to support the poor masses, because of corporate greed. Money is being unevenly distributed destroying the middle class, not because capitalism is a broken concept but because the ultra powerful broke it thru their excessive use of leverage.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #107
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    There's not a limit on wealth. At any given time X amount of wealth exists. X is a finite number.
    What's your point?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #108
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    If you want to talk a wealth gap watch this video on America's disappearing middle class by Bill Maher.


    This is an hilarious skit. The part where Alice Walton, one of the owners of Walmart, spent over a billion dollars on an art museum in Arkansas, instead of giving employees a raise, is too funny.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #109
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,934

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    You are falling for the 'vulgar libertarian' trap Kevin Carson always warns about. You assume that all wealth that is acquired is earned in a completely free, open, and voluntary market system. We have no such system.
    Very wrong. Im fully aware that its not a free market and never has been. What I am totally against is government taking money away from its citizens because that is what taxes are- stolen money and stolen by the government under threat of force.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: The Wealth Gap

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Very wrong. Im fully aware that its not a free market and never has been.
    Then why are you defending the market we have and what results from it?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •