View Poll Results: Is Billionaire Republican Sheldon Adelson To Powerful?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 58.14%
  • No

    18 41.86%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 103

Thread: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

  1. #11
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    There has been much debate of the powerful influence that money has over politicians in the US. Recently billionaire Republican Sheldon Adelson held an event at one of his hotels in Las Vegas where it was said that major Republican presidential hopefuls came and prostrated themselves before him in hopes of securing his blessings. Is Sheldon Adelson too powerful?

    Here's an article

    Dana Milbank: GOP candidates kiss up to billionaire Sheldon Adelson - The Washington Post



    Boy I'm telling you, what people won't do to make it these days!!!
    And you don't think Obama has Soros goop on his chin? Democrats have more mega wealthy donors than Republicans. Start a thread about that.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,928

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Never heard of the guy. Honestly.
    Nor I...but I suppose this is how it is with the super-powerful. You know..."them."

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Soros gets fellated by any Democrat looking for public office for years, but I get to hear about Adelson.

  4. #14
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    in a word, yes. though he couldn't purchase the presidential election, he is currently trying to purchase a ban on online gambling, as it competes with his casino business. now while i can't really be bothered to GAF about online gambling because i don't do it, the idea that one guy in a democratic republic of 330,000,000 can even have a chance of buying such broad legislation is something that i find repugnant.

    we should do whatever we can to prevent ourselves from becoming even more of a plutocracy. it's bad for democracy, and it's also bad for capitalism.
    Right. That's why it is bad that there are no limits to the amounts given by backers of politicians.

    SCOTUS just opened the flood gates.

    If people thought there was way too many political ads on television and radio, they ain't seen nothing yet.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/us...ions.html?_r=0

  5. #15
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,277

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The story here is that wealthy individuals are exercising an enormous amount of influence in not only the financial system, but the political system as well. I see two trends that I think are very troubling. The first is that the US may be evolving into a financial oligarchy, and this is evidence to support that. The other thing is that we may be evolving into a highly intrusive and suppressive police state. Both things are very troubling.

    So if I may ask, do you think it's problematic that wealthy individuals have such enormous influence on the political system?
    No. The real problem is that the political system has to much power and influence over our lives, activities and private enterprise. If politicians lacked the power to peddle influence and grant favors, there would be no reason for anyone to attempt to influence them.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,124

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Right. That's why it is bad that there are no limits to the amounts given by backers of politicians.

    SCOTUS just opened the flood gates.

    If people thought there was way too many political ads on television and radio, they ain't seen nothing yet.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/us...ions.html?_r=0
    yeah, i have always enjoyed elections, but 2012 was a nightmare because of the ads and the nonsense. now there will be even more of them.

  7. #17
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    in a word, yes. though he couldn't purchase the presidential election, he is currently trying to purchase a ban on online gambling, as it competes with his casino business. now while i can't really be bothered to GAF about online gambling because i don't do it, the idea that one guy in a democratic republic of 330,000,000 can even have a chance of buying such broad legislation is something that i find repugnant.

    we should do whatever we can to prevent ourselves from becoming even more of a plutocracy. it's bad for democracy, and it's also bad for capitalism.
    When gov't operates for business Corporations like gambling or big energy, it is more accurately CORPORATISM or Fascism. That is where we are at. Adelson has prevented online gambling to protect Casino gambling. Big Energy has promoted wars to acquire resources and in both specific instances, our gov't was bought and sold. I'm sure I didn't vote for that or read it written clearly and without obfuscation in the Mainstream Media.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    So here is a great idea. Let's toss out the first amendment and see how our democracy works when we only let those you agree with have their say!


    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    in a word, yes. though he couldn't purchase the presidential election, he is currently trying to purchase a ban on online gambling, as it competes with his casino business. now while i can't really be bothered to GAF about online gambling because i don't do it, the idea that one guy in a democratic republic of 330,000,000 can even have a chance of buying such broad legislation is something that i find repugnant.

    we should do whatever we can to prevent ourselves from becoming even more of a plutocracy. it's bad for democracy, and it's also bad for capitalism.

  9. #19
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    No. The real problem is that the political system has to much power and influence over our lives, activities and private enterprise. If politicians lacked the power to peddle influence and grant favors, there would be no reason for anyone to attempt to influence them.
    the left whines about wealthy people buying government but its the left that made government so much bigger than it should be



  10. #20
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Is Billionare Republican Sheldon Adelson Too Powerful?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    yeah, i have always enjoyed elections, but 2012 was a nightmare because of the ads and the nonsense. now there will be even more of them.
    When election times comes around, and I start seeing more and more political ads, I'll be watching even more of these;

    WCIU, The U

    WCIU has MeTV, MeToo, and The Bounce

    getTV | Schedule

    GetTV is strictly movies, as is

    MOVIES! TV Network - Video

    No political ads. Digital over the air.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •