View Poll Results: The Source of Black Poverty?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • The culture-of-poverty option

    22 37.93%
  • The black culture option

    21 36.21%
  • The racism exists option

    11 18.97%
  • All three, with some lean towards 1 & 2

    8 13.79%
  • Any combo, including government

    16 27.59%
  • Other

    14 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 197

Thread: The Source of Black Poverty

  1. #31
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Yea, but you have to understand enough to know what actions to take. Maybe, we as a society have done the best we can, maybe we've got a long ways to go, only time will tell. I do believe to say, "they're all lazy" or that "it's all racism" is way too simplistic and negative to help.
    The only viable option is to do the same with poor, as you do with overgrown children who can't face the realities of adult life. Cut the apron strings and set them free to sink or swim. It's amazing what a taste of reality, and an actual necessity to rely on oneself can accomplish. People are much smarter and more resourceful than we give them credit for.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You're pulling at the thread of the lowest common denominator, like mob violence. There is a certain familiarity with 'the devil you know' factor and 'ignorance is comfort', but it's not common enough to account for the sheer volume of poor in a wealthy society.
    I'm sorry - is poverty not the lowest common denominator? If you're asking why anyone of average means is broke, then I don't have the first damn clue.

  3. #33
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Yea, but you have to understand enough to know what actions to take. Maybe, we as a society have done the best we can, maybe we've got a long ways to go, only time will tell. I do believe to say, "they're all lazy" or that "it's all racism" is way too simplistic and negative to help.
    The writer does scant little to build a middle ground between the ideas expressed in those quotes. He really doesn't even seem to acknowledge any exists when describing the "black culture" option. For that reason, I would guess the purpose of the article is not to build understanding but to persuade.

  4. #34
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Imo, we can't diminish it by understanding the cultural differences and causes. That information is all well and good to have, but understanding doesn't fix problems. Actions fix problems.
    i applaud your inclination toward action

    but doing the right things is more effective than doing things right
    and if we do not understand the circumstances that perpetuate poverty, how can we identify the appropriate solutions to address the elimination of poverty

    i would suggest this is the same conundrum we presently also face with our public education system. we know it needs to be repaired. but what exactly needs to be fixed. taking action, like no child left behind, just to take action is both expensive and ineffective
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #35
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i applaud your inclination toward action

    but doing the right things is more effective than doing things right
    and if we do not understand the circumstances that perpetuate poverty, how can we identify the appropriate solutions to address the elimination of poverty

    i would suggest this is the same conundrum we presently also face with our public education system. we know it needs to be repaired. but what exactly needs to be fixed. taking action, like no child left behind, just to take action is both expensive and ineffective
    Originally Posted by lizzie

    "Imo, we can't diminish it by understanding the cultural differences and causes. That information is all well and good to have, but understanding doesn't fix problems. Actions fix problems."

    (Yoda voice) A false dichotomy, we've found.

  6. #36
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Originally Posted by lizzie

    "Imo, we can't diminish it by understanding the cultural differences and causes. That information is all well and good to have, but understanding doesn't fix problems. Actions fix problems."

    (Yoda voice) A false dichotomy, we've found.
    And you can't solve a problem effectively until you've properly identified the causes. CORRECT actions fix problems, not action for the sake of action.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #37
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    over yonder
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    859

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    And you can't solve a problem effectively until you've properly identified the causes. CORRECT actions fix problems, not action for the sake of action.
    In every war on poverty its the poor who always lose. M. Wilde

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    A lot of it is simply genetics IMO.

    The average Afro-American's IQ is only 85 and that puts them at a significant disadvantage when competing in the job market.

    And another factor is their above average propensity towards violence. Being convicted of a violent crime can certainly shut out economic opportunities. This obviously also has a genetic component to it.

    And there is also immigration and globalization. A lot of manufacturing and agricultural jobs that are suitable for a person with a low IQ are being filled by immigrants or sent overseas. The lack of isolationism and protectionism is particularly hard on the Afro-American community.

  9. #39
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,170
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The only viable option is to do the same with poor, as you do with overgrown children who can't face the realities of adult life. Cut the apron strings and set them free to sink or swim. It's amazing what a taste of reality, and an actual necessity to rely on oneself can accomplish. People are much smarter and more resourceful than we give them credit for.
    How is that not the worst idea in the world, Lizzie?

    Poverty increases crime. It impedes stable homes, and lessens children's well-beings and educational achievement. Poverty decreases life spans and general health, and increases things such as drug, tobacco and alcohol abuse. It sends out shock waves of social ills that have the tendency of destroying societies. The very most immediate effect of selfishness and removing aide to the needy would be a drastic increase in those social ills.

    In what sane world would you want to do that?
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Source of Black Poverty

    The black people themselves.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •