View Poll Results: Is America ready for a fat President?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 54.55%
  • No

    20 45.45%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Is America ready for a fat President?

  1. #21
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,291

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is America ready for a fat President?

    Somebody with the physical stature of a Chris Christie, but with less seemingly corrupt baggage.

    Point 1: He was elected Governor. Yeah, but Governor is not President.

    Point 2: We had Taft as President, and he was quite the hefty guy. Yeah, but that was literally 100 years ago. Time and attitudes change. A man with a full beard would have a hard time being elected in today's political environment, and we have many of those in our past, also.

    So, is America ready for a fat President?

    ETA: Please note that the question is not about Christie specifically. He is just a ready example. It is a generic question in nature.
    1.) anybody that makes a decision solely based on a presidents weight is a complete, mentally retarded moron
    2.) we have already had overweight presidents
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  2. #22
    Believer
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    23,826

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    Would he or she have a fat spouse also?

    I didn't say Hillary but, I could have meant Hillary.
    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity. Be fools for Christ. And have the courage to suffer the contempt of the sophisticated world." - Antonin Scalia

  3. #23
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Seen
    04-05-18 @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    805

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I dont think Christie will be nominated. I am not aware of another canditate that is that big that might be. Obesity does indicate some character flaw, even if only a lack of self control when it comes to diet.
    Is this the same guy debating against racism in another thread? Fattist now? Shocking stuff.

    Imagine the size of his peer group of voters, btw...

  4. #24
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,125
    Blog Entries
    31

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is America ready for a fat President?

    Somebody with the physical stature of a Chris Christie, but with less seemingly corrupt baggage.

    Point 1: He was elected Governor. Yeah, but Governor is not President.

    Point 2: We had Taft as President, and he was quite the hefty guy. Yeah, but that was literally 100 years ago. Time and attitudes change. A man with a full beard would have a hard time being elected in today's political environment, and we have many of those in our past, also.

    So, is America ready for a fat President?

    ETA: Please note that the question is not about Christie specifically. He is just a ready example. It is a generic question in nature.
    In the TV age it would probably be very hard for a fat guy to win. I read a book about the television age and presidents sometime back in the 70's, in the book it states that Lincoln couldn't be elected, he was too ugly and FDR couldn't either as he was in a wheel chair. Perhaps times have changed with handicaps of FDR nature, but someone as ugly as Lincoln with a beard still probably couldn't.

    America has come to expect a certain image from its presidents, image is more important than substance. So probably not.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #25
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    19,389
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    How about a fat, drunken crack user? Those guys get elected in some constituencies.
    YNWA

  6. #26
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-25-17 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    It could be plus for Christie given how many obese people there are. For all the thousands of fat-jokes Democrats and comedians would tell it would earn him sympathy votes.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,257

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    Does it count that Christie has had some sort of bariatric surgery and has already lost a significant amount of weight?

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    39,257

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Is this the same guy debating against racism in another thread? Fattist now? Shocking stuff.

    Imagine the size of his peer group of voters, btw...
    When I was still a subscriber to Newsweek, so I guess '99-'01, a guest columnist who was a very large lady wrote a powerful essay on how on of the last "isms" was "weightism." It was very painful to read about how often she was regarded as "stupid" and "unclean."

    When I read the post that referred to obesity being a character flaw, I thought to myself, "Wow, that lady was right--and nothing's changed in all these years."

  9. #29
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    I aint skinny, in fact I could lose 50 lbs. I haven't because my wife is a great cook and I don't have enough self control not to overeat. Just a fact, I wasn't born this way, I just like chow and booze. Character flaw. How is it not?
    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    When I was still a subscriber to Newsweek, so I guess '99-'01, a guest columnist who was a very large lady wrote a powerful essay on how on of the last "isms" was "weightism." It was very painful to read about how often she was regarded as "stupid" and "unclean."

    When I read the post that referred to obesity being a character flaw, I thought to myself, "Wow, that lady was right--and nothing's changed in all these years."
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  10. #30
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,374

    Re: Is America ready for a fat President?

    I would say that in modern US politics, weight may be in an issue but a negligible one. Historically, it wasn't unusual for either party to attack the other by claiming it was full of fat old rich men.





    Politics are not kind to the overweight...
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •