View Poll Results: How do you feel about interracial couples

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's wrong to date and have children with other races

    3 2.44%
  • It depends on the race

    1 0.81%
  • Interracial couples and children are completely acceptable to me

    113 91.87%
  • I have mixed feelings

    6 4.88%
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 476

Thread: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

  1. #371
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I think 20 percent is "lots." What if 20 percent of the bridges you drove across collapsed? Wouldn't that be a lot?
    Losing 80% of the vote to your competitor would be humiliating, and I think that's a far more apt comparison than bridge collapses.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  2. #372
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I would be very careful about drawing conclusions from raw data taken from an online dating site. Again, how well does such a sample conform to the real life popuplation?
    Constructing a study that can be as comprehensive as you'd like on this issue is going to be very difficult. We'd need to start with single people and get their opinions on interracial marriage. From that large pool we'd have to track dating opportunities that were presented, then either accepted or rejected. It's at this point that we get into interesting territory. How do we determine the basis for offers of interracial dating? Was the person rejected because of individual incompatibility or because of race? It's entirely possible to reject a black man for being an ass, for being rude, etc just like with a white guy. How does the researcher determine the basis for the rejection?

    Anyways I don't want to work through all of the problems, I want to say that sometimes we have to work with the best info available. It's usually better than not having any info. And then of course there is TacticalEvilDan's point that info isn't necessary - we should be satisfied with just knowing the principles people espouse.

  3. #373
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Translation:



    Again, if you want to dispute the study's findings, go ahead and do so.

    If you want to be taken seriously, however, I would suggest finding an objective and factual basis on which to attack its methodology, rather than flying into unjustifiable hysterics and simply assuming its conclusions must be false out of hand because they happen to make you feel uncomfortable.
    Although it's a cute picture, your response betrays your actual ignorance. You were asked specific, objective questions, which quite frankly are typical questions that are asked when examining statistical research that is done on a population sample.

    Specifically I asked the following

    First of all, how did the researcher compile the data sample. In other words it's practically impossible to examine every black women, so they had to pick some. How did they pick them?
    You can't answer that question because you don't know. There is nothing racist about that question. It is objective and has an answer. You just don't know it because you don't appear to understand how such research is conducted. And that's ok, there is nothing wrong with that. But what is wrong, is that when someone asks you questions, you respond that the person is accusing you a racism. It's total rubbish.

    Next of all I pointed out the following

    Next of all, the study is based on an individual's perception of attractiveness. I could see no objective criteria established for measuring attractiveness.
    That's an objective question and one that has an answer. But again, you don't know the answer. You pointed to another source, but you did not demonstrate that the criteria in your source were actually used in that research. Again, it appears you don't know what you are talking about. Either that or you don't understand the question that is being asked.

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    You are apparently referring to the poll in this thread. I am referring to the posts in the link I offered in the post you previously quoted.
    I said that it's acceptable. I said it should be allowed. I also said that interracial couples involving black men and white women tend to be the lowest common denominators of each group, thereby making it difficult for children. I said that the reverse (WM/BW) tend to both dip from good stock, and those kids are more likely to succeed.Do I have a problem?

  5. #375
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    MildSteel said

    But in the case of attractiveness, that is something that will be very hard, because it tends to vary from person to person
    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    This is simply false. With at least some level of accuracy, the physical attractiveness of a given person can be objectively measured and quantified using scientific and mathematical principles.

    I have already demonstrated this, and here is another source discussing the issue.

    BBC Science - Attraction
    Not it is not false. First of all I did not say it's impossible, I said it's difficult. And that's exactly what I meant. And that little source you provided does not refute what I have said. It's simplistic stuff meant for lay people. It's not meant for someone trying to seriously research the matter. For example, your source simply asserts symmetric facial features. But I have seen women with have a good deal of facial symmetry, but who have a very big nose that spoils the whole effect. Good, objective criteria needs to account for things like that. Also, the only math that's in the source is a very simplistic reference to 0.7 waist to hip ratio being as being attractive. But what if a woman is 5 feet 1 inch tall and has a 50 inch hips and a 35 inch waist? That's a 0.7 waist to hip ratio, but I would not find that very attractive.

    Then next of all what's attractive does vary from person to person. And an accurate, objective measure of physical attractiveness would take this variance into account. Although it would be very difficult, it's not impossible. For example consider these two well know celebrities:

    Paris Hilton


    Serena Williams


    I can tell you this, you give me the choice to pick who I want to bone, and 7 times out of 10 I'm going with Serena. And that mostly has to do with whats going on from the backside. But someone like you would have no interest in Serena at all. I'm not sure, but in your eyes you may prefer the rear view that Paris has to offer. Definitely not me!

  6. #376
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,701
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I said that it's acceptable. I said it should be allowed. I also said that interracial couples involving black men and white women tend to be the lowest common denominators of each group, thereby making it difficult for children. I said that the reverse (WM/BW) tend to both dip from good stock, and those kids are more likely to succeed.Do I have a problem?
    Only you can answer that for yourself.

    If I felt it was okay to discriminate against others because of their race, and even though I protested that I personally didn't discriminate that it was acceptable if others did so, I would conclude that I have a problem, because allowing racism to flourish in a society because it doesn't affect me and I can't be bothered by those who are affected is, in my mind, a very real problem.

    You seem to disagree.

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    If any American politician won 80% of the vote, it would be considered a landslide, the second coming, a mandate.

    20% doesn't qualify as "lots" in my book.
    I disagree. If you were out with your date in a nightclub with 100 people and 20 of those people give you "the look," you would feel it's a lot.

  8. #378
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I would conclude that I have a problem, because allowing racism to flourish in a society because it doesn't affect me and I can't be bothered by those who are affected is, in my mind, a very real problem.
    Here is a map of racial segregation in NYC. By allowing people to choose where they wish to live you're allowing segregation to arise. You seem to be saying that you're not OK with people exercising their freedom of association when it comes to business dealings because that allows racism to be expressed, and so you support government stripping people of their right to free association. If that is your position, and I don't want to put words in your mouth, so please correct me if that's what I'm doing, then how would you feel about government stripping people of the right to choose where they live and instead manage the process by assigning you a choice of homes because this would insure that racially segregated neighborhoods cannot develop.


  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Although it's a cute picture, your response betrays your actual ignorance. You were asked specific, objective questions, which quite frankly are typical questions that are asked when examining statistical research that is done on a population sample.

    Specifically I asked the following

    You can't answer that question because you don't know. There is nothing racist about that question. It is objective and has an answer. You just don't know it because you don't appear to understand how such research is conducted. And that's ok, there is nothing wrong with that. But what is wrong, is that when someone asks you questions, you respond that the person is accusing you a racism. It's total rubbish.

    Next of all I pointed out the following
    Dude, it's not my job to build your case for you.

    Here is what we do know: I made a claim that scientific research had been conducted which supported the assertion that black females were generally found to be less attractive than those of other races. In support of this claim, a scientific study was provided which confirmed every part of my initial claim.

    Unless you can provide a valid, factually derived reason why it should be viewed in any other way, that study can be considered to come from a reputable, academic source (The American Psychological Association). The study in question also consistently demonstrated that a variety of male and female observers from numerous different races in a controlled environment found black females to be, on average, less physically attractive than those of other races.

    That is where my obligation to you here ends. It's not my job to prove the legitimacy of a source to you simply because you dislike what it happens to say.

    If you want to argue that the study in question or its findings are invalid, the burden of proof is going to be on you to prove it. No one else.

    Vague allegations of wrong doing with nothing to back them up simply aren't going to cut it.

    "Maybe the sample was biased."

    "Maybe the researchers conducting the study just disliked black people."

    "Maybe there is no valid definition of attractiveness."

    Sorry buddy, but "maybe" isn't worth of a hill of beans. Stop dropping hypotheticals, and find something to criticize which can actually be shown to be a part of the damn study, or just concede the point already.

    This is freshman level stuff here.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 03-31-14 at 10:24 PM.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Constructing a study that can be as comprehensive as you'd like on this issue is going to be very difficult. We'd need to start with single people and get their opinions on interracial marriage. From that large pool we'd have to track dating opportunities that were presented, then either accepted or rejected. It's at this point that we get into interesting territory. How do we determine the basis for offers of interracial dating? Was the person rejected because of individual incompatibility or because of race? It's entirely possible to reject a black man for being an ass, for being rude, etc just like with a white guy. How does the researcher determine the basis for the rejection?

    Anyways I don't want to work through all of the problems, I want to say that sometimes we have to work with the best info available. It's usually better than not having any info. And then of course there is TacticalEvilDan's point that info isn't necessary - we should be satisfied with just knowing the principles people espouse.
    Now we are getting somewhere. That's exactly the point. Trying to do it would be difficult and you have correctly pointed out some of the difficulties involved. But if you want to be accurate, that's the kind of thing that you do.

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •