View Poll Results: How do you feel about interracial couples

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's wrong to date and have children with other races

    3 2.44%
  • It depends on the race

    1 0.81%
  • Interracial couples and children are completely acceptable to me

    113 91.87%
  • I have mixed feelings

    6 4.88%
Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 476

Thread: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

  1. #241
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I just thought I would ask. It seems some people here are not comfortable with interracial couples, and I was curious how common the attitude is..
    I have no problem with it at all. Unfortunately, the children of mixed race couples sometimes have to deal with not feeling total acceptance by their respective different families to one degree or another, but with adequate parenting to overcome that, it's do-able. It seems to be something that is gradually becoming a non-issue.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #242
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I would guess a couple hundred years and race will pretty much be a thing of the past.
    Race won't be a thing of the past unless we institute a true liberal state where "wise liberals in government" totally control the mating choices of every single person on Earth and even then they can't control the output of the black box.

  3. #243
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Do you really think there is some instictual preference for your own race? The world is a much smaller place and getting smaller every day, on this forum alone we have members all over the world. More people get to know others, the more we realzie ew are more alike than different. Racism is caused by ignorance of others and nothing else. Hopefully in the next couple hundred years all will realize that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Race won't be a thing of the past unless we institute a true liberal state where "wise liberals in government" totally control the mating choices of every single person on Earth and even then they can't control the output of the black box.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  4. #244
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Race won't be a thing of the past unless we institute a true liberal state where "wise liberals in government" totally control the mating choices of every single person on Earth and even then they can't control the output of the black box.
    That isn't true at all. In the age of information and with high levels of mobility, racial mixing could easily eventually result in a relatively raceless world, except for maybe in the far reaches, where people still live in tribal closed communities. Of course, even if that happens, we will still find something to fight about.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #245
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    we are progressing...probably a lot faster than most on this orb.
    Anytime we make a claim about making progress we need to understand what scale we're using. Progressing towards what? The implicit scale here seems to be towards tolerance or towards realizing individual liberty.

    What is not on that scale is marital stability. The most recent few 10 year cohorts of married people who have been studied show that interracial couples have a 50% greater divorce rate than same-race married couples. That too is progress if we are on the scale of trying to achieve high divorce rates.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Consenting adults should be able to marry other consenting adults without explanation to anyone.
    Indeed. As individual liberty increases, community cohesion must decrease. There cannot exist community standards if every standard is only subject to individual preference. This conflict is one about balance. If you say that the expression of individual liberty in marriage need never be explained to anyone, then this damages community cohesion.

    Secondly you imposed a condition that you prefer onto strangers, that of consenting adult. That's you, an outsider, imposing a condition which limits individual liberty. This is no different than other strangers imposing an in-marriage rule on people. For instance we could devise the following scenario, to remain a Jew every Jew must marry within the religion. If a Jew marries outside of the religion, then they are cast out of the community. This is no different than a ban on interracial marriages.

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Do you really think there is some instictual preference for your own race?
    Of course there is. We can derive this from a number of methods. Let me go through one method.

    We start by looking at families. Is there a difference between how a father treats his own child compared to how he treats a step-child? Is that parental bond something that can be taught or be imposed by willful action or is there something inborn going on? The violence and murder rate against step children is astronomically higher than it is against biological children. So even with blended families which have every incentive to become one family, we see that wishing doesn't always translate into dreams coming true.

    Step away from your immediate family. If we compare willingness to provide aid between a scenario where a cousin is in need to a total stranger, we see the cousin winning out. Extend the family relationship even further and while the effect diminishes we still see a greater bond than that felt towards a total stranger. Extend the family relationship even further and most people no longer even recognize a bond of kinship but they do recognize a cultural bond, the shared values, the common history and now compare an individual American in need to a starving child in Africa. The American in need takes a higher priority.

    These scenarios DO NOT have have play out with 100% accuracy and they will still shape how people will live their lives, make their choices and choose their mates.

    The world is a much smaller place and getting smaller every day, on this forum alone we have members all over the world. More people get to know others, the more we realzie ew are more alike than different.
    It's the effect sizes of similarity and difference that are the engine driving diversity of groupings. Here's an example. Everyone in the world has to eat. See, we're all the same. That's not really going to create a strong bond across different cultures. One group believes in female circumcision and another group doesn't. The feelings that this generates will be strong and push people towards the groups with similar values.

    The above example is extreme but it illustrates the point. Look at the high rate of divorce between interracial couples. I'm feeling pretty safe in stating that they're not divorcing because of female circumcision issues arising in their marriages. The differences between the spouses are much more mundane but like a pebble in a shoe they're irritating enough that they affect the quality of the marriage.

  6. #246
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That isn't true at all. In the age of information and with high levels of mobility, racial mixing could easily eventually result in a relatively raceless world, except for maybe in the far reaches, where people still live in tribal closed communities. Of course, even if that happens, we will still find something to fight about.
    Genetics doesn't work like adding a cup of coffee and a cup of milk together, it works more like a deck of playing cards which get reshuffled.

    When a deck gets dealt out then you get all sorts of combinations. Here are two twin girls born to an interracial couple. Notice something about them?


  7. #247
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Genetics doesn't work like adding a cup of coffee and a cup of milk together, it works more like a deck of playing cards which get reshuffled.

    When a deck gets dealt out then you get all sorts of combinations. Here are two twin girls born to an interracial couple. Notice something about them?

    It doesn't matter. The mixes will eventually lead to more homogenicity as a whole, and the mixing of racial types, in addition to the melding of their cultural differences will make people less likely to even be aware that there are differences at all.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #248
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    I asked about race, not step children, do you think the only way to have a child of a different race is marrying the childs Mother? I dont know but I cannot imagine thinking any less of a child of mine becase the childs mom was a differnet race. I have a hard time trying to imagine the kind of man that wuold have that problem. I guess I am learning about one now. By the way, I raised two of my own children and two step children, you are wrong on many levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post

    Of course there is. We can derive this from a number of methods. Let me go through one method.

    We start by looking at families. Is there a difference between how a father treats his own child compared to how he treats a step-child? Is that parental bond something that can be taught or be imposed by willful action or is there something inborn going on? The violence and murder rate against step children is astronomically higher than it is against biological children. So even with blended families which have every incentive to become one family, we see that wishing doesn't always translate into dreams coming true.

    Step away from your immediate family. If we compare willingness to provide aid between a scenario where a cousin is in need to a total stranger, we see the cousin winning out. Extend the family relationship even further and while the effect diminishes we still see a greater bond than that felt towards a total stranger. Extend the family relationship even further and most people no longer even recognize a bond of kinship but they do recognize a cultural bond, the shared values, the common history and now compare an individual American in need to a starving child in Africa. The American in need takes a higher priority.

    These scenarios DO NOT have have play out with 100% accuracy and they will still shape how people will live their lives, make their choices and choose their mates.



    It's the effect sizes of similarity and difference that are the engine driving diversity of groupings. Here's an example. Everyone in the world has to eat. See, we're all the same. That's not really going to create a strong bond across different cultures. One group believes in female circumcision and another group doesn't. The feelings that this generates will be strong and push people towards the groups with similar values.

    The above example is extreme but it illustrates the point. Look at the high rate of divorce between interracial couples. I'm feeling pretty safe in stating that they're not divorcing because of female circumcision issues arising in their marriages. The differences between the spouses are much more mundane but like a pebble in a shoe they're irritating enough that they affect the quality of the marriage.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  9. #249
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Cute kids?
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Genetics doesn't work like adding a cup of coffee and a cup of milk together, it works more like a deck of playing cards which get reshuffled.

    When a deck gets dealt out then you get all sorts of combinations. Here are two twin girls born to an interracial couple. Notice something about them?

    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  10. #250
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    re: Are interracial couples acceptable?[ W: 330]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It doesn't matter.
    The mix isn't stable. Genes will express. Secondly, the rate of interracial marriage is nowhere close to being strong enough to override what's going on with in-group matings. Then there are the 2nd and downstream generation effects which we see taking place in Brazil. The children of mixed race couples, and their children, don't stay isolated in a mix-race category, they migrate outwards and join different communities. Their uniqueness is diluted in the following generation. I highly doubt that those two girls, when they are adults, are going to follow the same mating patterns and that they're going to find guys who are also mixed race.

    The mixes will eventually lead to more homogenicity as a whole
    Why do you hate diversity so much that you want to erase it from the world?

    and the mixing of racial types, in addition to the melding of their cultural differences will make people less likely to even be aware that there are differences at all.
    And we can all join hands and sing kumbaya. So in addition to wiping out genetic diversity you also favor wiping out cultural diversity. We have many people alive today who are committed to helping to keep diverse peoples and cultures alive and you're setting yourself up as their enemy, you want to destroy what they fight to keep alive. Same too with linguists who are trying to keep regional dialects alive. They're trying to protect diversity and your dream is to destroy all the diversity that exists in the world. Can't you see how people who value diversity are going to fight you as you seek to destroy what they value so highly?

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •