View Poll Results: Is this the law working as intended?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Working as intended, and it's a good thing. Leave it alone.

    1 25.00%
  • Working as intended, but it's a bad thing. Change/modify/repeal it.

    0 0%
  • Not working as intended.

    1 25.00%
  • Other

    2 50.00%
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Is this the law working as intended?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Is this the law working as intended?

    Is this the law working as intended? If so, is the intent a good thing, or a bad thing?

    Baseball parents ordered to take down seats deemed superior to softball bleachers

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...210604955.html
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is this the law working as intended?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is this the law working as intended? If so, is the intent a good thing, or a bad thing?
    I voted wrong. Should have just voted "not working as intended". A stupid application of the law, in my opinion. The bleachers and scoreboard were a fundraising effort by parents. This is very different from state-supplied facilities. We're so ****ed up.

  3. #3
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Is this the law working as intended?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is this the law working as intended? If so, is the intent a good thing, or a bad thing?
    There are many "laws" at play in this story but the one used appears to be the ADA - if the facility is not handicapped accessible then it will not meet building codes. The title IX angle could likely be defeated because private funds were used for the facility improvements.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,394

    Re: Is this the law working as intended?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I voted wrong. Should have just voted "not working as intended". A stupid application of the law, in my opinion. The bleachers and scoreboard were a fundraising effort by parents. This is very different from state-supplied facilities. We're so ****ed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    There are many "laws" at play in this story but the one used appears to be the ADA - if the facility is not handicapped accessible then it will not meet building codes. The title IX angle could likely be defeated because private funds were used for the facility improvements.
    I don't think, legally, private funds matter. As long as they accept public funds, they fall under the rules in everything they do.

    I agree that we're screwed up. Just saying that the law, as it is generally applied, doesn't make the distinction within the same school.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •