View Poll Results: What is your opinion of this rant?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I fully believe all our asses are owned

    6 22.22%
  • I mostly believe all our asses are owned

    7 25.93%
  • I somewhat believe our asses are owned

    7 25.93%
  • I do not believe it at all

    7 25.93%
  • It's all about right vs. left!

    0 0%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 146

Thread: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

  1. #111
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Well if people weren't so quick to surrender than.
    Your surrender may simply be embracing reality or loving it. This might be crazy to idealists, but perhaps it's not so 1984 (in that intended gut wrenching sense) to "love Big Brother."
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #112
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Absolutely so. The victories of the era, the desperation of the time should absolutely be part of the story. However, I think it's important to note the very real strain in the intellectual history of the Left that collided with failure or unanticipated results during the 1960s and early 1970s. It often had been noted that by the 1970s, demoralization was the new reality for that generation. They left activism and politics for community organizations and their own work, feeling as if change was hardly possible.


    Many activists did retreat, for good reason as they were being murdered and jailed...Unfortunately, most did not reemerge as activists.. Change had been accomplished to a point and they let others take up the struggle in a different way...

  3. #113
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    by whom?
    The liberal rag, THE NEW YORK TIMES reports:

    But what’s different from Weber’s era is that it is now the rich who are the most stressed out and the most likely to be working the most. Perhaps for the first time since we’ve kept track of such things, higher-income folks work more hours than lower-wage earners do. Since 1980, the number of men in the bottom fifth of the income ladder who work long hours (over 49 hours per week) has dropped by half, according to a study by the economists Peter Kuhn and Fernando Lozano. But among the top fifth of earners, long weeks have increased by 80 percent.

    This study predates the current economic recession, it also included the booming labor market of the 90s. This finding isn't a surprise to people who follow the labor market literature. It's well known and we see it in countries other the US. I recall reading a Canadian Time-Use study which analyzed how Canadians of different socioeconomic classes spent every minute of every day. Lower income, working people spent more time watching TV per week than did higher income, working people.

    The explanation for this is quite simple. The opportunity cost of leisure is too high for high income earners. If you can make an additional $150 per hour, would you rather spend an extra 10 hours per week working or using that time to watch TV or piss around at a mall? For lower income people, that extra 10 hours of working might mean an extra $100 and for them their leisure time returns greater happiness.

  4. #114
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Has materialism and technology driven the new age into higher categories of learning and excellence or are they just different? It's the common definition of success that usually drives the majority of a society towards something.

    Traditionally, we had a large middle class of average educated, hard working savers. Now we have a separation of growing lower and higher classes, with completely different world's to live in.

    The larger question will be, can big brother keep this juggernaut on the tracks, or will it derail from desperation, global frictions and financial imbalances?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #115
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    But your attitude is certainly giving credence to the notion that progressives or liberals feel a great deal more cynical about the wealthy's intentions or outlook on society.
    I understand how these attitudes evolve and the weaknesses that come with being human. Greed is an effective motivator whether it is for material wealth or status and we are all capable of it. Many people will choose to rationalize the selfish acts it takes to acquire "success" that doesn't make them evil it makes them human. So, I guess my point it that I don't consider it being cynical I consider it being realistic about human nature and what (in general) it takes to acquire wealth, especially great wealth. Can you hold someone accountable for actions that are ultimately selfish or self-serving without condemning them as people.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  6. #116
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I understand how these attitudes evolve and the weaknesses that come with being human. Greed is an effective motivator whether it is for material wealth or status and we are all capable of it. Many people will choose to rationalize the selfish acts it takes to acquire "success" that doesn't make them evil it makes them human. So, I guess my point it that I don't consider it being cynical I consider it being realistic about human nature and what (in general) it takes to acquire wealth, especially great wealth. Can you hold someone accountable for actions that are ultimately selfish or self-serving without condemning them as people.
    So may I backtrack a tad? Do you agree with the notion that I advanced that each economic class dehumanizes the other and justifies and legitimately believes their existence based on superior morals or ethics?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #117
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    What do you think Eminent Domain means? Yes, they abso!utely "can" take your property if they want it..... Anyway, you are entirely missing my point, maybe because you are young.
    Eminent domain is just words, they can't kill you they can't take something if they are met with force they cannot over come.

    I get your point completely, it's "give up because you can't win" my age has nothing to do with it. It's my resolve. It's the fact that I am willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice, that I am not willing to accept defeat.

    Why do they have the right to have all this personal information?
    Because we gave it to them voluntarily because of defeatist attitudes. You have completely surrendered to them. They will not stop until they take everything or we stop them. Those are the only two possible outcomes. They aren't just going to decide they have enough, they are going to take and take and take until they can't any more. We have to be the ones that say "no more." Meanwhile you have scum like Maxine waters asking "what can this country do for me."

    Are you married? Do you have kids?
    I am not married legally, my state will not recognize my marriage because my husband is the same sex as I am. I have a child. All the more reason to stand up. [QUOTE]Do you know that if you ever hit your wife, that your children can be taken away and put in foster care?[QUOTE]This means I should give up all hope and be a defeatist? The reasons you give for the defeatist attitude suck. I would never hit my spouse.
    Do you have ANY idea of the power that your State government has?
    I haven't given them any. I don't knowwhy you would give it up so easily. That is why they have it. They took one kid away and the people didn't speak up or revolt or stop them.

    The power they have is an illusion. And it's one you have bought into.

    If people saw one person's rights being trampled and realized that the person that is being victimized isn't the only person being trampled that if they can snatch rights away from one person they have effectively taken them from us all, this crap would stop immediately.

    Everybody watching as people have their rights stripped and not standing up and saying something is guilty of letting them slip away.

    "First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Socialist.

    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me."-Neimöller-
    It's okay to be white

  8. #118
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    So may I backtrack a tad? Do you agree with the notion that I advanced that each economic class dehumanizes the other and justifies and legitimately believes their existence based on superior morals or ethics?
    I understand the necessity in conversations like this to make broad generalizations...but I really hate them. Having said that, yes I agree.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  9. #119
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Your surrender may simply be embracing reality or loving it.
    So you could find happiness in slavery? I cannot.
    This might be crazy to idealists, but perhaps it's not so 1984 (in that intended gut wrenching sense) to "love Big Brother."
    Good thing the colonists didn't feel that way during the revolution. Just saying. Good thing Nat turner didn't feel that way, or George Washington, or Jane Lincoln, or Martin Luther, or Martin Luther king Jr. Or Joan of arc.

    Those that remained silent in history did not do anything with their mention in it.
    It's okay to be white

  10. #120
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Your Opinion on this Video Clip

    [QUOTE=CLAX1911;1063087114]Eminent domain is just words, they can't kill you they can't take something if they are met with force they cannot over come.

    I get your point completely, it's "give up because you can't win" my age has nothing to do with it. It's my resolve. It's the fact that I am willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice, that I am not willing to accept defeat.

    Because we gave it to them voluntarily because of defeatist attitudes. You have completely surrendered to them. They will not stop until they take everything or we stop them. Those are the only two possible outcomes. They aren't just going to decide they have enough, they are going to take and take and take until they can't any more. We have to be the ones that say "no more." Meanwhile you have scum like Maxine waters asking "what can this country do for me."

    I am not married legally, my state will not recognize my marriage because my husband is the same sex as I am. I have a child. All the more reason to stand up. [QUOTE]Do you know that if you ever hit your wife, that your children can be taken away and put in foster care?
    This means I should give up all hope and be a defeatist? The reasons you give for the defeatist attitude suck. I would never hit my spouse.
    I haven't given them any. I don't knowwhy you would give it up so easily. That is why they have it. They took one kid away and the people didn't speak up or revolt or stop them.

    The power they have is an illusion. And it's one you have bought into.

    If people saw one person's rights being trampled and realized that the person that is being victimized isn't the only person being trampled that if they can snatch rights away from one person they have effectively taken them from us all, this crap would stop immediately.

    Everybody watching as people have their rights stripped and not standing up and saying something is guilty of letting them slip away.

    "First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Socialist.

    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Jew.

    Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me."-Neimöller-


    OMG....You don't have a clue on what is going on in your own country.... I did not GIVE them ANYTHING.....They TOOK it........it doesn't mean that anyone has GIVEN UP...we are fighting everyday....

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •