Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 133

Thread: Should college students be able to unionize?

  1. #101
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,157

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Colleges have turned football into a cash-cow, and now the players want their cut? You miss my point. This is college. The point of college is not playing football. It's shoving enough knowledge into empty little brains so they can go out into the world with enough education to survive, and maybe even make the world a little better.

    I'd be perfectly happy if all revenue-generating football was permanently banned from all college campuses, relegated to just another extra-curricular sport like tennis or rugby. College football is corrupt to the core, college football players go through four years of college and some come out functionally illiterate because nobody cares about the football player himself beyond what kind of money he can earn for the damned college. It should be illegal for colleges to pimp their football players for cash, and stealing from them the education that they will need when, you know, their knees blow out.

    No college sports should make money for the college, period. Kids need to be educated, not prostituted out of sheer corruption and greed.
    I agree, I personally think sports serve very little purpose outside of amusement. And I have no problem with colleges having football programs but it's only purpose is to generate money to better serve students pursuingreal jobs.
    It's okay to be white

  2. #102
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    It should be illegal for colleges to pimp their football players for cash, and stealing from them the education that they will need when, you know, their knees blow out.
    To be fair to the colleges, most of the kids on those football teams wouldn't be at their particular colleges if not for an athletic scholarship.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    All these arguments of how much the school makes are immaterial to the case at hand. The question is a matter of association, and there is no reason to expect college kids lack the right to association. The problem with union laws are not in that people can unionize, but what assistance is offered to them by the state.

  4. #104
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    If those people are making money off the people working for them, absolutely.
    Independents don't put ideological leans first.
    And those people are "paid" quite handsomely with tuition and housing
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  5. #105
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Have I made that argument, or even the argument you're thinking of?
    That is where your argument leads. Intramural sports are facilitated by the university and pose a similar risk to the voluntary participants but they are paid nothing at all
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  6. #106
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No, the ACA is the government blowing the insurance companies. We need single payer, but that is a whole other topic.

    Back to the point, however, the school should be responsible for the student-athletes injuries, period. It's just the fair thing to do, and I have no issue with the government making a law about it. Especially for publicly funded schools.
    The school is not responsible. I'm not sure if college athletics is the same way, but I know at least in many high schools you must sign a waiver stating that the school is not liable for injury unless it is caused by an unsafe feature outside of the sport itself (like if a ceiling tile struck a player).
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  7. #107
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    To directly talk on the OP, I see no real problem with unionized students although I do have a distrust for unions. I also don't see playing a sport that is not professional as labor
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  8. #108
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,637

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastIndependent View Post
    That is where your argument leads. Intramural sports are facilitated by the university and pose a similar risk to the voluntary participants but they are paid nothing at all
    My main point was that his comparison struck as a false equivalency, not whether or not insurance policies should increase coverage. Remember, I am unsure as to what universities should be doing in these regards.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #109
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,157

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    All these arguments of how much the school makes are immaterial to the case at hand. The question is a matter of association, and there is no reason to expect college kids lack the right to association. The problem with union laws are not in that people can unionize, but what assistance is offered to them by the state.
    I agree. It's one thing to associate and even bargain collectively. It's another for the state to step in and take sides. One is a constitutional right the other is a step toward tyranny.
    It's okay to be white

  10. #110
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    10-03-17 @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Should college students be able to unionize?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I am not sure what match madness is.

    Paying students so that students can have the best opportunities, is madness in all twelve months.
    You'd be paying them for services rendered is what you'd be doing. The coach is making cash, people are paying cash to sit in those seats, colleges are selling television rights, those dollars are flowing into the coffers of the school.....Now if the students get together and say, "You know what, that scholarship you gave us worth $X, that's not going to cut it, WE WANT MORE."

    Yes, that's legal in AMERICA.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •