View Poll Results: Your opinion?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, They should not be allowed to donate

    3 5.88%
  • Yes, They should be allowed to donate

    44 86.27%
  • No, I would not accept a donation

    1 1.96%
  • Yes, I would accept a donation

    30 58.82%
  • Other Opinion

    4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 66

Thread: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

  1. #41
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,873

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    BTW: I don't like the idea of requiring organ donations in this case. I fear the need for organ donors could potentially drive death sentencing in cases where more suspects would have been acquitted and those found guilty paying the ultimate price where otherwise some might have been given lesser sentences.
    Not if its the inmates decision at any time after sentencing.

  2. #42
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    BTW: I don't like the idea of requiring organ donations in this case. I fear the need for organ donors could potentially drive death sentencing in cases where more suspects would have been acquitted and those found guilty paying the ultimate price where otherwise some might have been given lesser sentences.
    Agreed. It should never be required in any way.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #43
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    1. Should death row inmates be allowed to donate organs?

    2. Would you accept a donation from a death row inmate?
    If there's nothing wrong with the organs there's absolutely no reason why the answer should be no here.

  4. #44
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Two questions: (poll is multiple choice)

    1. Should death row inmates be allowed to donate organs?

    2. Would you accept a donation from a death row inmate?

    Here is the story:

    NEWBERG, Ore. (AP) – Oregon death row inmate Christian Longo wants to donate a kidney to a Newberg man so desperate he’s been standing on a corner with a sign asking for an organ.

    Longo says he and other inmates would be interested in donating organs if they were allowed.

    In 2003, Longo was sentenced to death for killing his wife and three children on the Oregon coast. He has become an advocate for inmate organ donation and wanted to donate his organs after his execution. Gov. John Kitzhaber’s moratorium on executions in 2011 halted that idea.
    Death row inmate wants to donate organs | KOIN.com
    An interesting subject and I chose both yes options. That would be limited, however, if there comes a time when doctors figure out a way to transplant brains.

    I think it's kind of noble, in a way, and certainly against all we think about cold-hearted, inhumane, killers that some would consider giving of themselves to save a life when what they've done in the past was take a life.

    It would raise questions, however, about how a death row inmate would be killed in order to secure organ harvesting after the fact - I'm not a doctor and don't know how this would be done. There's also the question of the families of victims wanting closure and getting it through seeing the person who murdered their loved one put to death - would be interesting to see how they feel about that person "living on" in this form. People who have loved one's organs donated after they pass often say that they feel the death had meaning and that their loved one lived on and they often become friendly with the person(s) who received the organs.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    I don't see a problem with it.

    Although, this is before the executed, afterwards, I'm not for sure what affect the drugs used in lethal injection would have. But since it's Oregon and he will die of natural causes years before someone actually thinks to execute him, go for it.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    That's a good reason to NEVER make it mandatory or provide benefits/perks to any inmate wanting to donate. It's not a good reason to stop them from volunteering.
    Regardless as to whether it is voluntary, wouldn't the death sentence increase the likelihood of the availability of donated organs? It seems to me that an argument could be made that the only good that should ever come from the death of a criminal is the actual death of that criminal. Beyond that, it causes the issue to become clouded by other concerns.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  7. #47
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    115

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    My only concern is are the organs tainted from execution? If yes then no, if no then do it!

  8. #48
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Yes they should be allowed to donate. I would even go so far as saying that if they're willing to donate the method of execution should be based on whatever is least likely to cause damage to the organs being donated.

    Yes I would absolutely accept an organ from a death row inmate if I needed a transplant.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  9. #49
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Regardless as to whether it is voluntary, wouldn't the death sentence increase the likelihood of the availability of donated organs? It seems to me that an argument could be made that the only good that should ever come from the death of a criminal is the actual death of that criminal. Beyond that, it causes the issue to become clouded by other concerns.
    In some theoretical way I suppose so, but considering the number of inmates put to death compared to the number of people who donate organs I'd say that's only an abstract. If the system starts being abused I'd think that would tend to lower the chance of donation. Criminals who feel wronged aren't as likely to volunteer.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 03-30-14 at 01:23 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #50
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,887

    Re: Oregon Death Row Inmate wants To Donate His Organs

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    People all to often refuse to look at unintended consequences. I mean besides Sarah Palin who knew there would be a govt issued death panel?
    There isn't one!
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •