View Poll Results: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was a coup

    16 47.06%
  • No, it was not a coup

    14 41.18%
  • Other

    4 11.76%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

  1. #1
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    The whole Crimean crisis has its roots in the ouster of former Ukrainian President Yanukovych. The Ukrainian parliament, with the support of Yanukovych's old Party of Regions, voted to impeach Yanukovych. They had a majority, but not the strict percentage (75%) required by the Ukrainian constitution to impeach their president. Nevertheless, they made motions to replace Yanukovych, motions which were accelerated by his fleeing the country into Russia.

    Was this removal of an elected official an illegitimate coup, or was it a revolution that was acceptable given the circumstances?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #2
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    The whole Crimean crisis has its roots in the ouster of former Ukrainian President Yanukovych. The Ukrainian parliament, with the support of Yanukovych's old Party of Regions, voted to impeach Yanukovych. They had a majority, but not the strict percentage (75%) required by the Ukrainian constitution to impeach their president. Nevertheless, they made motions to replace Yanukovych, motions which were accelerated by his fleeing the country into Russia.

    Was this removal of an elected official an illegitimate coup, or was it a revolution that was acceptable given the circumstances?
    Yanukovych claims to still be President of Ukraine, he just chooses not to live there anymore. If President Obama decided to flee the US for whatever reason and take up residence in Canada, would the US determine that Joe Biden was then the President of the United States? There is an interim government in the Ukraine awaiting elections in May to elect a new government to replace the absent President. He could come back and run again, or reclaim his elected office, if he wanted. Of course, as with any government leader who authorized the illegal slaughter of his own citizens, he may be subject to arrest, prosecution, and execution.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,253

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    The whole Crimean crisis has its roots in the ouster of former Ukrainian President Yanukovych. The Ukrainian parliament, with the support of Yanukovych's old Party of Regions, voted to impeach Yanukovych. They had a majority, but not the strict percentage (75%) required by the Ukrainian constitution to impeach their president. Nevertheless, they made motions to replace Yanukovych, motions which were accelerated by his fleeing the country into Russia.

    Was this removal of an elected official an illegitimate coup, or was it a revolution that was acceptable given the circumstances?
    I think we need international law regulating under what circumstances a population can relinquish a ruler.

  4. #4
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I think we need international law regulating under what circumstances a population can relinquish a ruler.
    Under what circumstances a foreign-backed minority can overthrow an elected government?

  5. #5
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    Under what circumstances a foreign-backed minority can overthrow an elected government?
    Apparently, when that foreign government sends in troops and has military bases on site, such as in the Ukrainian "province" of Crimea.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #6
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,224

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Yanukovych claims to still be President of Ukraine, he just chooses not to live there anymore. If President Obama decided to flee the US for whatever reason and take up residence in Canada, would the US determine that Joe Biden was then the President of the United States? There is an interim government in the Ukraine awaiting elections in May to elect a new government to replace the absent President. He could come back and run again, or reclaim his elected office, if he wanted. Of course, as with any government leader who authorized the illegal slaughter of his own citizens, he may be subject to arrest, prosecution, and execution.
    I admit that I do not know much about the specifics of Yanukovych's overthrow, but I do not believe that his ouster constitutes a coup d'etat, for the following reasons:

    1. He decided to run away to Russia. Since his impeachment was not strictly legal, he could always stay in the country and appeal to the courts, the general populace, or the military to preserve his legitimate rule. Because he chose instead to flee, and because he was not exiled from the country, he has for all intents and purposes abandoned his duty and his seat and so the prior legalisms of his removal are irrelevant. If Obama was partially impeached and thus decided to run away to Canada, I would no longer consider him my president even though I favor his policies.

    2. Through his murder of protestors and his anti-demonstration laws, he was essentially becoming a dictator. The Ukrainians were completely justified in staging an extralegal revolution in order to halt his usurpation of power.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #7
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    The whole Crimean crisis has its roots in the ouster of former Ukrainian President Yanukovych. The Ukrainian parliament, with the support of Yanukovych's old Party of Regions, voted to impeach Yanukovych. They had a majority, but not the strict percentage (75%) required by the Ukrainian constitution to impeach their president. Nevertheless, they made motions to replace Yanukovych, motions which were accelerated by his fleeing the country into Russia.

    Was this removal of an elected official an illegitimate coup, or was it a revolution that was acceptable given the circumstances?
    It technically wasn't a coup. Usually that involves a military take over.

    On the other hand, it was a revolution and definitely not in keeping with the democratic principles they claim to espouse


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #8
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Yanukovych claims to still be President of Ukraine, he just chooses not to live there anymore. If President Obama decided to flee the US for whatever reason and take up residence in Canada, would the US determine that Joe Biden was then the President of the United States? There is an interim government in the Ukraine awaiting elections in May to elect a new government to replace the absent President. He could come back and run again, or reclaim his elected office, if he wanted. Of course, as with any government leader who authorized the illegal slaughter of his own citizens, he may be subject to arrest, prosecution, and execution.
    It's called a "government in exile." That's usually what happens after a revolution, the deposed head for "friendly territory" and proclaim that they are still legitimate.

    Yeah, I'm sure he could just show up in Kiev and say "Hey I'm back. We're cool, right?"


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #9
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I admit that I do not know much about the specifics of Yanukovych's overthrow, but I do not believe that his ouster constitutes a coup d'etat, for the following reasons:

    1. He decided to run away to Russia. Since his impeachment was not strictly legal, he could always stay in the country and appeal to the courts, the general populace, or the military to preserve his legitimate rule. Because he chose instead to flee, and because he was not exiled from the country, he has for all intents and purposes abandoned his duty and his seat and so the prior legalisms of his removal are irrelevant. If Obama was partially impeached and thus decided to run away to Canada, I would no longer consider him my president even though I favor his policies.

    2. Through his murder of protestors and his anti-demonstration laws, he was essentially becoming a dictator. The Ukrainians were completely justified in staging an extralegal revolution in order to halt his usurpation of power.
    I would agree that there may have been justification for his ouster. Treating those who took over as a completely legitimate and Constitutional government is a big stretch, though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #10
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Was the overthrow of Yanukovych a coup?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Apparently, when that foreign government sends in troops and has military bases on site, such as in the Ukrainian "province" of Crimea.
    Thank God it wasn't somewhere where the US had immediate interests then, rather than imperialist ones! How can anyone live with such total hypocricy?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •