View Poll Results: Should Members of Congress be Allowed to Fly First Class?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 23.81%
  • No

    28 66.67%
  • Not Sure

    2 4.76%
  • Stamp em' overnight -Ship UPS!

    2 4.76%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 83

Thread: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

  1. #61
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,861
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I think they should pay any difference between first class prices and economy out of their own pockets. The only airfare paid should be back and forth to their home districts.
    Sign me up for this. I think it's completely just and correct that the tax payer foots the bill for a coach ticket(s) - staff you know, and if they want to pay the difference, fine by me.

    Now, the select few congress critters that are living on the West coast, and ARE getting military transport, well, I can't abide by that, unless, of course, they want to pay for that as well.

  2. #62
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It would cost the American public in all likelihood much more money for the President to fly even in coach than to simply have him fly in government owned aircraft.

    Executive One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Some rules for the President.

    http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS21835.pdf

    Heck, he is supposed to reimburse the government for all non-office related trips.
    It would be a charter flight with no one but the president and the SS aboard. Probably cheaper just to keep Air Force One. Both of them. Did you know there are actually two?
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  3. #63
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    And, if they need to go overseas, let 'em use this!

    Do they still have the discount red and white ducks too?

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Why Are Members of Congress Using Your Money to Fly First-Class?

    Last year, Bloomberg Businessweek ran a feature titled, The Pampered World of Congressional Air Travel. The story detailed the cushy and expensive travel bookings Congressman and Senators make on a regular basis with frequent trips back and forth to their home states and districts. The cost to taxpayers is enormous, but could be much less if they'd simply swallow their pride and sit in coach with the rest of us.



    "There is no more pampered class of air traveler than members of Congress.

    At Washington’s Reagan National Airport, they have their own special parking spaces—right up close to the terminal—that they don’t even have to pay for. As Bloomberg Television’s Hans Nichols reports, this perk costs the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority $738,760 in foregone revenue.

    To members of our fly-in-Tuesday-fly-home-Thursday Congress, these perks are a big deal. Most fly a lot, and many fly first class. They don’t just jet home to their districts. Sometimes, they’re jetting around the world at taxpayer expense ($23,646, to be specific), as Democratic Representative Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas did in February. "

    "As with all federal spending, Member's Representational Allowance funds are taxpayer dollars. As such, the use of these funds must be exercised with the utmost efficiency and transparency. A loophole currently exists that allows members of Congress to fly first-class at the expense of the taxpayer. Members of Congress are servants of the people and should not be considered a privileged class. Luxury airfare accommodations utilizing taxpayer monies would seem inappropriate in any fiscal climate but at a time of soaring deficits and with a federal debt in excess of $17 trillion such expenditures are especially wasteful," the request states. "If federal restrictions prohibit members of our military from traveling first-class, this same standard should also apply to Members of Congress."

    "It's absolutely wasteful and completely unacceptable that Members of Congress - servants of the people - are currently allowed to fly first class using hard-earned taxpayer money.....snip~

    Why Are Members of Congress Using Your Money to Fly First-Class? - Katie Pavlich


    There you have it.....the loophole our servants always use. That they shouldn't be considered a privileged class. Yet that's exactly what they have become and use, manipulate, connive, and get around. Its high time it stops. They are no better than you or I. Nor any others. Time for our privileged servants to go back to just being servants. Perhaps if we actually started treating them like servants. They would get the message. What say ye?
    Hell no.

  5. #65
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    These petty complaints are annoying. Government cost trillions and wastes hundreds of billions, and the debate is members of Congress flying first class - while it cost millions to fly the President and we are paying millions for his vacations?

    Not ALL members of Congress are rich. I think poor members of Congress should be able to fly 1st class like all the others. Otherwise it could be the rich white Congress members who can pay up in 1st class, and poor minority members have to go "sit at the back of the bus/plane" for lack of being rich.

  6. #66
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    It would be a charter flight with no one but the president and the SS aboard. Probably cheaper just to keep Air Force One. Both of them. Did you know there are actually two?
    Whatever the President is flying in is "... One". Such as there has only ever been one "Navy One" (as of right now anyway).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #67
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    These petty complaints are annoying. Government cost trillions and wastes hundreds of billions, and the debate is members of Congress flying first class - while it cost millions to fly the President and we are paying millions for his vacations?

    Not ALL members of Congress are rich. I think poor members of Congress should be able to fly 1st class like all the others. Otherwise it could be the rich white Congress members who can pay up in 1st class, and poor minority members have to go "sit at the back of the bus/plane" for lack of being rich.
    I think at $174K a year, they can afford at least business class most of the time (especially if they only had to pay the upgrade). If our military members have to do it so should Congressmen. They make us do it, including officers.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    These petty complaints are annoying. Government cost trillions and wastes hundreds of billions, and the debate is members of Congress flying first class - while it cost millions to fly the President and we are paying millions for his vacations?

    Not ALL members of Congress are rich. I think poor members of Congress should be able to fly 1st class like all the others. Otherwise it could be the rich white Congress members who can pay up in 1st class, and poor minority members have to go "sit at the back of the bus/plane" for lack of being rich.

    Mornin' Joko. That's the usual come back.....that there is nothing to be done. Pennies here and there. Sure the OP is about flying. But I am sure we could have had one up showing all kinds of things these Servants are taking advantage of and stealing from the American people.

    There is the slight problem that in todays generation. That they think that because one is elected this makes he or she a leader. We know such is hardly the case, but its the mindset they have.

    Their our Leaders and that they can constantly screw up and get over on those who elect them????? Prime example is when their own people want to remove them from Office. The servant now no longer wants to give up serving. So the Servant takes it into court to fight to stick around in a Position in the community. That The majority of the people no longer want them in.

    There are all kinds of things these guys take advantage of.....one is walking around thinking they should keep a title or hat they no longer carry. Like Gingrich who takes Delight in still be called Mr Speaker.

    How about this.....Mr Gingrich.....the former so and so. Let us be clear. Mr. Gingrich today is not so and so, and is not part of the process or in government. Yet he is here today to speak to us on.....yada yada nada pravada.

    Moreover.....all of them know about that lil line about don't consider them Privileged and play on it.

    Well it does say Servant.....time to start treating them ALL, like Servants!

    George Washington......use to put out alcohol to get people to vote for him, even poured people a drink. I figure these new breed of Politicians need to be taken back to the roots of what it is being a Servant. Reminding them all the time.....there are consequences when the Servant can't fulfill their duties of Serving.

  9. #69
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,347

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin' Joko. That's the usual come back.....that there is nothing to be done. Pennies here and there. Sure the OP is about flying. But I am sure we could have had one up showing all kinds of things these Servants are taking advantage of and stealing from the American people.

    There is the slight problem that in todays generation. That they think that because one is elected this makes he or she a leader. We know such is hardly the case, but its the mindset they have.

    Their our Leaders and that they can constantly screw up and get over on those who elect them????? Prime example is when their own people want to remove them from Office. The servant now no longer wants to give up serving. So the Servant takes it into court to fight to stick around in a Position in the community. That The majority of the people no longer want them in.

    There are all kinds of things these guys take advantage of.....one is walking around thinking they should keep a title or hat they no longer carry. Like Gingrich who takes Delight in still be called Mr Speaker.

    How about this.....Mr Gingrich.....the former so and so. Let us be clear. Mr. Gingrich today is not so and so, and is not part of the process or in government. Yet he is here today to speak to us on.....yada yada nada pravada.

    Moreover.....all of them know about that lil line about don't consider them Privileged and play on it.

    Well it does say Servant.....time to start treating them ALL, like Servants!

    George Washington......use to put out alcohol to get people to vote for him, even poured people a drink. I figure these new breed of Politicians need to be taken back to the roots of what it is being a Servant. Reminding them all the time.....there are consequences when the Servant can't fulfill their duties of Serving.
    The first thing that came to my mind is Pelosi stating that "we have to pass it to see what's in it," when she was discussing the ACA. Does that sound like a servant or an elitist speaking? And these are the persons who are running our government? No wonder the world wonders what is going on in America - we look like we don't know what we're doing!

    Greetings, MMC.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should Members of Congress Be allowed to Fly First Class?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    The first thing that came to my mind is Pelosi stating that "we have to pass it to see what's in it," when she was discussing the ACA. Does that sound like a servant or an elitist speaking? And these are the persons who are running our government? No wonder the world wonders what is going on in America - we look like we don't know what we're doing!

    Greetings, MMC.

    Mornin' Lady P. I think when we listen to them talk in front of the camera it says it all. Rarely do they sound like servants unless it is a newly elected member.

    Its like any of them can call up the Press and say they want airtime. Pelosi, McCain, Reid, and Ryan. Even to just criticize the other party. I even think the Press enables them to think they are Privileged and in doing so. Allows the Press and Media to take on the same mantle. Privileged.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •